Great Choices at #16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great Choices at #16

Frank B

Starter
Reaction score
Looking at players tha will realisticly be available at #16, I think the pick should come down to 2 players.

1. Winston Justice - Could be the LT we have been looking for since Richmond Webb left town. Yes he played on the right side in college, but most scouts believe LT will be his pro position. Yes, we have addressed the line with the L.J. Shelton signing, and we could have some more potential coming in with the return of Alabi and Tony Pape, but adding Justice would serve to strengthen depth at both Guard and Tackle.

2. Tye Hill - I can't believe how underrated this guy is. With the exception of Ferguson, Hill might have been the best player on the field during practices. In today's NFL with smaller receivers becoming more dominant, size isn't as important as having the skills to shadow receivers off the line. Right now, Jimmy Williams is ranked ahead of Hill in the DB ratings, but I think Hill will turn out to be a better pure corner.

Frank B said:
Looking at players tha will realisticly be available at #16, I think the pick should come down to 2 players.

1. Winston Justice - Could be the LT we have been looking for since Richmond Webb left town. Yes he played on the right side in college, but most scouts believe LT will be his pro position. Yes, we have addressed the line with the L.J. Shelton signing, and we could have some more potential coming in with the return of Alabi and Tony Pape, but adding Justice would serve to strengthen depth at both Guard and Tackle.

2. Tye Hill - I can't believe how underrated this guy is. With the exception of Ferguson, Hill might have been the best player on the field during practices. In today's NFL with smaller receivers becoming more dominant, size isn't as important as having the skills to shadow receivers off the line. Right now, Jimmy Williams is ranked ahead of Hill in the DB ratings, but I think Hill will turn out to be a better pure corner.

Frank, whilst I agree that these 2 are prime targets, I don't see them as the TWO main targets. First of all, whilst scouts agree Justice could play left tackle, most concede that it would be futile moving him to the left side, essentially getting him to re-learn a new position. Just look at how that affected Kwame Harris. If Justice signs, it's to play RT and it's because of the intimate knowledge that Tim Davis has of him.

I agree with your assessment of Hill to a point. Clealry the best cover guy in the draft and the height issue is well overplayed, but you'll find very few boards where Jimmy Williams is ranked ahead of him. Williams hada mediocre workout at VT, was described as 'emotionally unstable' in his combine interviews and is an NFL FS not a corner.

To fully consider who we'll draft, you have to add in Chad Jackson, a player we were all over at the Combine, Marcus McNeil, another player who we are keen on, Broderick Bunkley, who we love, Manny Lawson, Chad Greenway, Demeco Ryans, Ernie Sims, Antonio Cromartie and Jason Allen.

Frank B said:

That is the question? Can Justice move to the left side and be as effective as he was as a RT?
Hill is underrated by no one. Some have their preferences but he is one of the best pure cover corners in the draft.

i think justice would be fine on the right side for us... shelton at LT, justice at RT, carey moves to RG... hadnot at center james at LG and we're cooking wth gas...

Boomer said:
Frank, whilst I agree that these 2 are prime targets, I don't see them as the TWO main targets. First of all, whilst scouts agree Justice could play left tackle, most concede that it would be futile moving him to the left side, essentially getting him to re-learn a new position. Just look at how that affected Kwame Harris. If Justice signs, it's to play RT and it's because of the intimate knowledge that Tim Davis has of him.

I agree with your assessment of Hill to a point. Clealry the best cover guy in the draft and the height issue is well overplayed, but you'll find very few boards where Jimmy Williams is ranked ahead of him. Williams hada mediocre workout at VT, was described as 'emotionally unstable' in his combine interviews and is an NFL FS not a corner.

To fully consider who we'll draft, you have to add in Chad Jackson, a player we were all over at the Combine, Marcus McNeil, another player who we are keen on, Broderick Bunkley, who we love, Manny Lawson, Chad Greenway, Demeco Ryans, Ernie Sims, Antonio Cromartie and Jason Allen.
Those are some excellent names we are interested in. I still have a difficult time believing Bunkley did the short shuttle in 4.16.

Boomer said:

Boomer said:
Justice is a RT.

Couldn't agree more Boom. I've been saying that for a long time now. Quite a few people here think we should draft him and he could easily switch to LT. I believe that its far more difficult to just switch places like that. I don't care if he protected Leinart's blindside or not, its not the same.

Boomer,

Thanks for your reply. Your information regarding Williams' workout and interveiws is something I had not seen reported anywhere else.

I still believe Justice could handle the LT spot better than many other prospects in the past few years that were targeted to make the switch. I think guys like Kwame Harris and Wayne Hunter out of Hawaii a few years ago were a bit overrated.

With regards to the other players you named, I would be ecstatic with the addition of Bunkley, Lawson, Greenway at #16, but that spot seems a little too high for the players with question marks, such as Ryans, Sims, Cromartie, and Allen.

One follow up question, do you think Marcus McNeil will play LT or RT in the NFL?

Geforce said:
Those are some excellent names we are interested in. I still have a difficult time believing Bunkley did the short shuttle in 4.16.

It was aqn outstanding time. But then if you watch him play, you see how explosive he is off the ball and how well he moves laterally. Regardless, that's a great time. To put it in persepctive, that's faster than Chad Greenway, Thomas Howard, Ernie Sims, Daniel Bullocks, Ko Simpson, Charles Gordon, Jonathan Joseph, Richard Marshall, Mark Anderson, Manny Lawson, Daryl Tapp, Mario Williams, Kam Wimberley, etc.

arsenal said:
i know thast what im saying, that we wouldn't need to move him to LT like people have been saying

I know you were dude. ;)

I also think Winston has the feet to play the left side, but why? We have just inked a solid LT and Justice is a superb RT.

How much will McNeils back troubles impact his draft status???

There's no way we pick Justice with the 16th pick with the intention of him playing RT. You don't use the 16th pick in the 1st round on a RT.
If we pick him it would be with the intention of him playing LT.
I can't say for sure whether he will be able to make the switch but of all the OT's in the draft he has the athleticism part to make the switch.
I just hope we don't pick McNeill.

Frank B said:
Boomer,

Thanks for your reply. Your information regarding Williams' workout and interveiws is something I had not seen reported anywhere else.

I still believe Justice could handle the LT spot better than many other prospects in the past few years that were targeted to make the switch. I think guys like Kwame Harris and Wayne Hunter out of Hawaii a few years ago were a bit overrated.

With regards to the other players you named, I would be ecstatic with the addition of Bunkley, Lawson, Greenway at #16, but that spot seems a little too high for the players with question marks, such as Ryans, Sims, Cromartie, and Allen.

One follow up question, do you think Marcus McNeil will play LT or RT in the NFL?

No worries Frank. The Williams situation is interesting. I researched quite deeply into his past for a piece for the VIP and found a young man who had matured some and for whom teammates and coaches were proud of because of the way he'd turned his attitude around. But getting lobbed out of the Bowl game, the very bad interviews in Indianapolis and the average workout, including something like a 33 inch vertical and 16 on the bench, really didn't stand out as the sort of workout you'd expect from a Super Blue Chipper.

Ryans has no question marks at all. He has far less than Greenway. Sims.....again, I don't see any question marks. Lawson must have question marks because you're getting him to play a totally new position.

I think Marcus could play either. Personally I'd play him on the right.

phinfan_1 said:
There's no way we pick Justice with the 16th pick with the intention of him playing RT. You don't use the 16th pick in the 1st round on a RT.
If we pick him it would be with the intention of him playing LT.
I can't say for sure whether he will be able to make the switch but of all the OT's in the draft he has the athleticism part to make the switch.
I just hope we don't pick McNeill.

Let me point you in the direction of a player I like to call Jammal Brown. He is a RT and was the 13th pick of the 2005 draft. Did you not notice that we signed a career left tackle about 10 days ago? If Justice comes to Miami it's as a RT.

Back
Top Bottom