Great Weekend, but one regret | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great Weekend, but one regret

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
Most "experts" gave us an A for our first round alone. It was a true master peice. We drafted on a need basis, but we got the best available player in both round 2 and 3. Both Roth and Crowder should have gone 15-20 picks before they were selected.

My one complaint is taking the CB from LSU. He was never a standout, and although he adds needed depth at CB, it is almost certain he will not line up in even a dime package this season. Why I am more upset is Elton Brown was available, and I think was the best player available. Len Pas..of ESPN had him as the 65th best player in the draft. Fox Sports gave AZ an A in their draft with the writer saying that Brown was the biggest steal. Bottom line is he could have competed for the starting G opposite of James, and add depth at what I think is our least talented postion on our team.

Over all though I loved the draft. We had a great first day, and we also cleared up 6.85 mill in cap space. Hopefully with so many teams grabbing WR the past 2 years we will see some qualitly WR released June 1st.

PS I have been out of the loop for awhile due to work, but what is the deal w/Boston. Are we still entertainng resigning him? I would like to see him get a chance. If he could be 70% the WR he was as a Cardinal he would be a huge upgrade over our current #3 choices.

He has had a horrible offseason and killed his own stock.

We had an awesome first day... yesterday was solid but some people are disappointed because we didn't go for the big name guys like Munoz, Brown, Shazor, Hawthorne, McPherson.

Dajesus said:
Most "experts" gave us an A for our first round alone. It was a true master peice. We drafted on a need basis, but we got the best available player in both round 2 and 3. Both Roth and Crowder should have gone 15-20 picks before they were selected.

My one complaint is taking the CB from LSU. He was never a standout, and although he adds needed depth at CB, it is almost certain he will not line up in even a dime package this season. Why I am more upset is Elton Brown was available, and I think was the best player available. Len Pas..of ESPN had him as the 65th best player in the draft. Fox Sports gave AZ an A in their draft with the writer saying that Brown was the biggest steal. Bottom line is he could have competed for the starting G opposite of James, and add depth at what I think is our least talented postion on our team.

Over all though I loved the draft. We had a great first day, and we also cleared up 6.85 mill in cap space. Hopefully with so many teams grabbing WR the past 2 years we will see some qualitly WR released June 1st.

PS I have been out of the loop for awhile due to work, but what is the deal w/Boston. Are we still entertainng resigning him? I would like to see him get a chance. If he could be 70% the WR he was as a Cardinal he would be a huge upgrade over our current #3 choices.

I tend to agree with you. However, Saban knows the guy....so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I thought we were pretty much ok at DB.....But Saban obviously wanted another corner.....he talked about being disappointed Webster wasn't there is the 3rd round. We also do have 11 guys that will compete for starting jobs on the Oline.....so we kind of have a logjam there believe it or not.

afishfan said:
I tend to agree with you. However, Saban knows the guy....so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I thought we were pretty much ok at DB.....But Saban obviously wanted another corner.....he talked about being disappointed Webster wasn't there is the 3rd round. We also do have 11 guys that will compete for starting jobs on the Oline.....so we kind of have a logjam there believe it or not.

I wouldn't say it is a logjam eventhough there are 11 guys there. Whitley, Jermain, and Hadnot are barely prosects. I would say maybee one or two other teams are desperate enough on the o-line that would have these guys competeing for playing time. You look at teams with good o-lines, and these 3 would be lucky to make the team. All three should be in Europe with Tony Pape, and when you go to Europe your mostly likely not making the team. That being said I don't consider those guys in the 11 because it wouldn't take from the draft or free agency to knock those 4 out of the lineup. My hope now is that atleast one guy out of Mcintosh,St. Claire, Carey, or Wade Smith leave the T battle because they project well at G. Carey would be ideal.

Draft stock falling or not, Brown will start this season for AZ at G, and could have started for us. That Kid from Utah, that likes to kick people(forgot his name,) would have projected to make a bigger impact than that CB from LSU. I am not learning his name on purose because I don't expect to see him all year...well actully he could be a good gunner on special teams. The problem I have with him is he is behind Madison, Howard, Edwards, and Pool. He has no shot of surpassing any of those guys. You mentioned his off season, but look at the our 3rd and 4th pick. They both were suspended from their teams in the past 2 years, and both missed time with big injuries.

I am seeing to much similarities to what happend in KC last year this year in Miami. They changed their D scheme, and got a new DC, and expected to turn the players they had in to upper echilon players. Well they finished with the 30th ranked D in the NFL. O-line was our biggest hole or lack there of last year, and we really have only added one player of note in McDugal. I don't see how Saban thinks Brown will see a hole, or how AJ will get a chance to grow with basicly the same line we had last year.

finsnchips said:

We had an awesome first day... yesterday was solid but some people are disappointed because we didn't go for the big name guys like Munoz, Brown, Shazor, Hawthorne, McPherson.

Your lumping me in with opinons I never claimed. I think G is a huge hole on this team. Unless a current tackle starts opposite of James we will line up with a should be 2nd or 3rd stringer starting at G. I said Sat night there were only 4 guards taken on the first day, so there had to be some serious talent out there. Besides Elton I think there were some other Gs that could have made an impact on our team this year such as;Dan Buenning,Claude Terrell
, and Chris Kemoeatu.

Here is a quote from scouts inc on Elton, "He has a minor blemish on his record regarding an arrest on misdemeanor assault and battery charges that were later dropped. He was, however, a team captain in 2004 and his coaches/teammates speak awfully high of him in terms of his leadership and character. Brown has a massive frame and very good feet for his size. He has the size and upper body strength to simply overpower most defensive linemen at the point of attack when he gets into their bodies."

I am done we have our picks, and overall I am the hapiest I have been after a Dolphin draft in a long time.

Dajesus said:
Your lumping me in with opinons I never claimed. I think G is a huge hole on this team. Unless a current tackle starts opposite of James we will line up with a should be 2nd or 3rd stringer starting at G. I said Sat night there were only 4 guards taken on the first day, so there had to be some serious talent out there. Besides Elton I think there were some other Gs that could have made an impact on our team this year such as;Dan Buenning,Claude Terrell
, and Chris Kemoeatu.

Here is a quote from scouts inc on Elton, "He has a minor blemish on his record regarding an arrest on misdemeanor assault and battery charges that were later dropped. He was, however, a team captain in 2004 and his coaches/teammates speak awfully high of him in terms of his leadership and character. Brown has a massive frame and very good feet for his size. He has the size and upper body strength to simply overpower most defensive linemen at the point of attack when he gets into their bodies."

I am done we have our picks, and overall I am the hapiest I have been after a Dolphin draft in a long time.
I think we are set at guard with Cook, Hadnot, possibly Carey, Whitley (grrr...) opposite James.

Sorry man, I wasnt saying that about you, just in general. I also liked Brown but kinda thought we were going to get Travis because Nick was genuinely gutted that Corey Webster went to the Giants three picks before us in the second.

Travis Daniels happened to be the best CB left on the board at the time. This arguement that it was simply a homer pick is BS. The kid can play...TRUE I don't have a tone of knowledge on this guy, but Saban does. Best available at the time. I think it is an excellent pick.

Dajesus said:

Daniels is a solid corner and was in college and will compete for the nickel slot this year along with the likes of reggie howard and mario edward....open competition is a thing of beauty

Daniels brings versatility. He can play defensive back position. The same can be said for Alabi who started the most games at LT of any senior coming out in the draft. Scouts state he can also play guard and is very athletic in addition to powerful. Although the 4th pick may not be ideal it helps our safty position and CB position.

LT is a huge need for us.

Daniels was a converted S and anyone who saw their BCS game against OU a couple years back, would not be doubting this kid's skills. He was a beast that year. I like the pick for his size and versatility alone. He will compete for a job at S IMO. Could be our starting free safety in a year or two. He's a solid, physical tackler.

The common theme in this draft was value. He got value at every pick. When's the last time we've been able to say that after a draft?

Dolphins fans whould be very happy today. I know I am.

finsnchips said:

I only question whether Daniels might have still been on the board in the fifth round, and I really think we should have gambled on McPherson in the fourth.

However, if Saban is comfortable with the QB's he has then Its ok with me.

I hope he is right.

Back
Top Bottom