Greg Bedard's blog on the morning practice is up! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greg Bedard's blog on the morning practice is up!

I think Saban is holding Ronnie Back. Kind of like how you hold back a prized race horse whose raring to go at it. THen when he lets him go he'll explode.

These positions will change often. Don't read anything into it until training camp starts.

Good news about Josh Davis though. The 2 undrafted guys I keep hearing about so far is this guy and that safety.

Josh Davis could give Thompson a run for his money for the #4 job (If they are close to even Davis will win out just for the $$ savings and potential to grow).

Temper your enthusiasm about Josh Davis...and Wes Welker as a WR. Every year, absolutely without fail, there is a guy that looks like a super star without the pads on in mini-camps, and we always hear reports from onlookers about that guy, and then that guy absolutely disappears when the pads come on and we start getting to the real practices and preseason games. Every year. And most years, that guy is a wide receiver.

Remember J.R. Tolver? Charles Jordan? Robert Baker? Kendall Newson? Heck, even Nate Jacquet. Larry Shannon did that too. Sometimes the guy is a corner, like Korey Banks or Ben Kelly. Heck we've still got one of those guys on the roster who did that, in Derrius Thompson! He looked phenomenal in mini-camp without the pads on, remember how entering training camp we all thought he'd even give Chambers a run for his money as the #1 WR? Yeah, glad that one worked out for us lol.

It is truly one of the most consistent mini-camp phenomenons that there will be a WR, RB, or CB who looks fantastic without the pads on and everyone gets excited that the guy is poised to be an up-and-comer, and then the guy absolutely disappears later in training camp.

I'm not saying Josh Davis won't succeed, because I really did like how we signed him as an undrafted player...I thought that was a pretty big signing, as far as undrafted player signings go. But, temper your excitement about him, unless you want to be disappointed some time later.

Back
Top Bottom