greg biekert might get cut | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

greg biekert might get cut

J

jd13

espnews is reporting that the raiders might cut him if he doesnt accept a pay cut...he would give us great depth at linebacker...wanny said in his press conference yesterday that we could pick up some guys who get cut...i would love to get biekert...we need a backup linebacker, cornerback and another offensive lineman...what do you guys think???...

Originally posted by jd13
espnews is reporting that the raiders might cut him if he doesnt accept a pay cut...he would give us great depth at linebacker...wanny said in his press conference yesterday that we could pick up some guys who get cut...i would love to get biekert...we need a backup linebacker, cornerback and another offensive lineman...what do you guys think???...

Biekert is alright...but if he isnt willing to take a pay cut I doubt he will want to sign with us for a low salary...and we are not gonna pay a back up lots of cash.....

greg biekert, is just as good a zach thomas. he would not be our back up, or even on our roster. but i do love greg biekert

I am not and have never been much of a Biekert fan. I was not impressed with him at U of Colorado. Also any success for him as a Raider has come as a surprise to me.

Greg Biekert as good as Zach?? :lol:

He's good but nowhere near the caliber of player ZT is. I would like to see him play the weakside though.

No he's not as good as ZT, but he's still a quality LB and prob better than Rodgers.(he wouldn't start over him though becuase we place to much emphasis on speed and instead of making plays.)

We have cash and a few holes, let see if we can fill some eh?

Biekert would be looking for a starting spot and pay as a starter, 2 things we wouldn't be offering him. Somebody else will definately offer both if he becomes available.

LB depth is a HUGE concern for us fans----but not the Dolphin braintrust. I'd be really surprised if they brought in another LB, because so far they have shown no interest in any that's been available.

Considering the paycut the Raiders want to give him (notice pay CUT, not restructure) I would not be surprised if he gets signed somewhere at the vet's minimum. Seriously in fact I would be remotely surprised if he got MORE than the vet's minimum. Try to remember that the Raiders want him to go from $2.5 million to $1 million. And if he gets released, especially this late in free agency, he will probably not even see that $1 million the Raiders wanted to give him. In general when a team wants to cut your pay down to a certain level, its higher than you would get as a free agent otherwise they wouldn't ask it because they'd have no ground to stand on. He's been in the league 7 years I'm not sure what that means his vet minimum is but I would not be surprised if thats all he's given, given the circumstances...

Comparing Biekert to Zach is hard because they are two different players who generally play in different systems. Can Biekert line up in our system and play as well as Zach? No because he doesn't have the instincts or range that Zach Thomas does...nor can he blitz or cover a receiver. But could Zach Thomas step into Greg Biekert's normal role down in Oakland and be just as effective as Biekert? Well, its arguable that Zach may not be able to. Biekert, (gasp) probably holds up better against the run blockers and makes harder hits than Zach Thomas. He'd be a great backup to Zach. This ALL of course assumes that Greg Biekert is every ounce of what he use to be when he did well in Oakland...which is actually not very likely given the fact that Oakland's trying to reduce his salary to $1 million.

I've watched every raider game the past three or four years. Greg Beikert blows.

He use to be ok, but now hes just old and slow. The raiders have so little faith him now that they drafted Napolean Harris, who was an OLB in college, and immediatly made him a MLB. Now this wouldn't seem like a big deal, if they had studly OLBs. But they have William Thomas and Elijah Alexander starting.

Back
Top Bottom