Greg Gumbel, Jim Nantz switch-Gumbel/Nantz (Merged) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greg Gumbel, Jim Nantz switch-Gumbel/Nantz (Merged)

TerryTate

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Greg Gumbel, Jim Nantz switch

Heard this on WQAM during my drive up from sofla to orlando....

Jim Nantz will now call the biggest football game that CBS has each weekend, taking Greg Gumbel's place, and Gumbel will be in studio with Marino, Sharpe, etc......

Also, I heard that Armen Keteyian and Bonnie Bernstein are being moved around, but i dont know where....

Just thought that was interesting....so who is it a slap in the face to? Nantz or Gumbel? What would you rather have....studio host or calling a game every week?

It's more a slap in the face to Gumbel as the #1 play by play job is more high profile than the studio anchor. I liked Gumbel as a PBP man but I always wondered why he was PBP and Nantz was the studio host when Gumbel's strength was in the studio and Nantz as a PBP. It's a good move for CBS and Keteyian is moving to the #2 team, Bernstein to The NFL Today to do features and Lesley Visser will be the sideline reporter for the #1 team of Nantz & simms.

I like the move. Nantz is the best play-by-play guy at CBS, period. (Enberg may have been better in his prime but that was AT LEAST a decade ago.) Gumbel's more excitable personality is better suited for the studio show.

Gumbel's more excitable personality? I dont see that interesting of a personality in the man :lol:

I like Nantz for commentary. His voice embodies (kinda like Al Michaels) football better to me. Gumbel as a pre-game dude is fitting.

Nantz/Gumble

I know it really doesn't make much difference to a lot of us who calls the game as long as they don't forget the names or something (like the OTHER cbs team tends to do a bit)... But, I'm gonna miss hearing Gumble's voice during Dolphin games this season... He and Simms usually did a lot of miami games because they were the #1 team on cbs and miami tends to play a lot of good teams and well...of course miami is one of the more popular teams so they just happen to get cbs's #1 broadcast team a lot... I'm sure Nantz will be fine, but my ears will miss Gumble... His voice always will remind me of early Sunday mornings at my favorite sports bar with my favorite foods and my favorite team kickin *** on the big screen in front of me... Anyone else like Gumble? Or hate him?

ladeback said:
I know it really doesn't make much difference to a lot of us who calls the game as long as they don't forget the names or something (like the OTHER cbs team tends to do a bit)... But, I'm gonna miss hearing Gumble's voice during Dolphin games this season... He and Simms usually did a lot of miami games because they were the #1 team on cbs and miami tends to play a lot of good teams and well...of course miami is one of the more popular teams so they just happen to get cbs's #1 broadcast team a lot... I'm sure Nantz will be fine, but my ears will miss Gumble... His voice always will remind me of early Sunday mornings at my favorite sports bar with my favorite foods and my favorite team kickin *** on the big screen in front of me... Anyone else like Gumble? Or hate him?
Link?

I didn't know that happened. I'd rather see Simms go.

It's on the front page of finheaven here... Also I read it in the newspaper here...

Geez I'm behind the times...I didn't even know Gumble was leaving. He has his fair share of detractors but personally I didn't mind him. He didn't go overboard with catchphrases or whatever, he just called the game as he saw it. The knock on Gumble was that he was too bland and really didn't inject much "flavor" into his play calling but whatever..that's what the color commentator is there for. Nantz should be fine though.

I think it's a good move. Nantz is more analytical than Bryant, who added nothing to games. Nantz was a bit of a puss in the studio, didn't have the weight, football wise, to be in the studio. He'll be better in the booth.

Simms and Gumble were an awesome duo IMO. I always liked the way they called games together. They weren't flashy and didn't make many catch phrases etc. but the way Gumble called things was awesome. Even the 4 o clock Raider games, that I barely watch, I would watch just to hear Gumble announce. One great example would be a TD pass. He would be like "Feeley back to pass, Chambers!!! endzone! touchdown!!!" Simply cool.

I liked Gumble as well.

Primetime ... that yellow text you're using is illegible.

I liked Gumble.........

But I hate Phil Simms. :fire:

He is so bisased toward the NY teams that he should be banned from bradcasting any games.......not just Jet and Giant games, but ALL games. He could be doing a Dolphin-Patriot game and would spend 1/3 of the time talking about the Jets.......F'n bastard......Let him stick to doing local broadcasts of preason games like Namath!!!!

I like both Nantz and Gumbel so it should be a pretty good tandem. My favorite announcers are still the ESPN Sunday Night crew, followed by Michaels/Madden

Back
Top Bottom