Griese Contract | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Griese Contract

IceStorm

The High Tech Bong Monkey!
Reaction score
Maybe its just me, but I'm not to hot on the deal we signed for Griese. Yes, we needed someone of his talents as a solid backup. Yes, it was worth the 1st year that we signed for. But what gets me is the second year. Check this out:

The former Denver Broncos starter, who agreed to the deal Friday, will earn $530,000 in base salary this season, plus a $1 million signing bonus.

The second year of the deal will cost Miami more than $6 million in salary cap space, meaning the team would either have to release Griese, restructure his deal or make him the starting quarterback.

The second year is what kills me. A whooping $6million on the cap. That tells me that since Griese wanted a 1 year, and we wanted a 2 year, that we essentially gave him a 1 year deal. There is no way we're going to keep him for that much.
Granted, some will say we did that so we either release him or Jay or restructure one of them. I dunno, it just seems like we got screwed on the second year. And here I was so excited about having some room next year too. Ah well.... :rolleyes:

we needed to give Brian a 1mil signing bonus and needed a 2 year deal to prorate that over 2003 and 2004 - nothing more. We cannot afford that extra 500K in 2003. Kinda sucks that Jay and Brian will both need to be threatened with re-neg or release after 2003 is over, but this team needs a win it all in 2003 attitude, especially the coaching staff.

i am super happy we got him, but i think the second year on this contract is the third stupidest (it's a word if i want it to be) thing i have ever read.

After 2003 one will restructure for a long term deal, the other will be gone...

Its a pretty standard one year deal thats technically a two-year deal. Teams do this all the time without serious ramifications its nothin to get your panties in a bunch over.

Its not that Griese wanted a one year deal and we wanted a two year deal. Griese wanted $1.5 million and could get that from another team, we could only afford $1 million, so we pushed $500,000 into 2004 by making it a 2 year deal. The $6 million salary figure for 2004 is just Griese's assurance that this is, indeed, just a one year contract.

But on the other hand, if Griese's stock rises significantly some how this season, it also gives us first crack at keeping Griese longterm, without Cindrich having the luxury of being able to use other team offers as bargaining chips...

The 2nd year of the contract is for 2 reasons that haven't been mentioned.

1. If Griese steals the job from Jay or Jay falls on his face and Brian steps up then next year we will cut Jay freeind up the money it will cost to keep Griese.

2. The other reason is for Brian's pertection. He will either prove that he should be a starter, and Miami will have to pay him to stay, or Biran won't show that he is worth that kind of money, and it will be easy to restructure.

I'm not going to worry about next year just yet. We'll be a better team this year with Griese and without Lucas and that's all that matters right now. Is funny how people are worry about the future but we haven't won in 30 years. The future is NOW.

Ozzy rules!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom