Griese (Good News & Bad News) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Griese (Good News & Bad News)

RunRicky34

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Dolphins | Inching Closer with Griese - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 09:34:23 -0700

ESPN.com’s Len Pasquarelli, as an update to ongoing stories, reports free agent QB Brian Griese (Broncos) continues to move closer to working out an agreement with the Miami Dolphins and could reach one as early as Friday, June 6, evening. The Dolphins have been offering a $1 million signing bonus and a $530,000 base salary in 2003, but those offers were shy of what Cindrich was looking for.

Keeep your fingures Crossed, but with every Good news there is a Bad news....

ESPN.com’s Len Pasquarelli reports the Chicago Bears have been in substantive negotiations with QB Brian Griese’s (Broncos) agent, Ralph Cindrich. The Bears have spoken with Cindrich at length and have escalated their talks in the last two days.

I have also heard that the Green Bay Packers haved showed Interest n the Griese Boy...

Lets just hope griese sees Things Like Sammy & Seau did......

The Bears are as far of a SB as the Texans are.....And the Packers are a Bunch of Cheese Head anyways..He has to Realize Miami is the Team with a number defense and an Offense that i think has improve since the Offense.

Miami has also something to Prove this year and those Players are hungry for a ring........:fire:

The report also says that despite the other negotiations, Griese wants to be in Miami. Besides, him going to Chicago would be a terrible career move considering what's there already: Kordell Stewart who's been promised the starting job, and Rex Grossman, the heir apparent to the QB position.

What would likely occur in Chicago if Griese were brought on board would be a situations where Kordell would be named the starter at the outset of camp and Griese would be given a closed door assurance that the starting job is his for the taking. Kordella, on the other hand, already feels slighted following the Grossman drafting and has already whined about that so imagine the kind of chaos the signing of young QB with NFL starting/Pro Bowl experience would bring; it would absolutely, 100%, without a doubt, annihilate that locker room's morale.

Basically, I don't see a single positive- for any of the parties invloved- that could come from the signing of Griese in Chicago.

The main threat here, IMO, is Green Bay. They currently do not have a viable backup and they need someone to groom in case this does turn out to be Favre's last year. I would not be shocked to see GB come out of the wood-works on this one to snatch Griese up.

In reality he can come in start right a way in Chicago if he beats Kordell which he is likely to do and I'm sure the Bears will open the QB position.Although is even year and Kordell has good stats on even years.You brought up a good point on Green Bay but it seem to Packers are not really all that intrested.

Originally posted by minus
In reality he can come in start right a way in Chicago if he beats Kordell which he is likely to do and I'm sure the Bears will open the QB position.Although is even year and Kordell has good stats on even years.You brought up a good point on Green Bay but it seem to Packers are not really all that intrested.

I agree, which is one of the reasons it would be a terrible move. Basically you'd have this intense competition for QB between two guys who are known to have character flaws (Griese can be weak and Kordella is a whiner) which would polarize the locker room without a doubt. I wholly believe that Griese is the more talented QB but putting those two guys in that situation would be a huge mistake IMO.

I wonder what kind of signing bonus they gave Kordell Stewart.

I know this, the Bears got Kordell Stewart because they couldn't swing a trade for Brian Griese. They couldn't swing the trade because Denver needed to release Griese after June 1st for cap reasons and as such to be coaxed into taking such an enormous cap hit they would have wanted at least a 1st rounder.

So the Bears bit the bullet and got Kordell. But now, Griese could seriously be available to them for the right price. They still haven't dumbed down their offense to be taylor-made for Kordella so if they get Griese now then it would be just like they got him way back when they wanted to swing a trade. Sure they have Rex Grossman but if I were Brian I would think it would be easy to fend off Grossman for years and possibly forever. I mean Vinny did it pretty easily in New York until he started sucking really really badly and no QB really even thinks about the possibility of when he starts sucking really really bad.

Kordell is new to the locker room. You've got to have some kind of standing with your teammates to cause a locker room disturbance. I'm sure if Chicago got Griese yes there would be a competition but it would be one Griese would easily win, and from there Griese's in the driver's seat in Chicago.

I think it was Chicago that called Cindrich up and said "Hey can we seriously get in this thing? Will we be taken seriously or just used as a bargaining chip?"

I would think it would be a mistake to go to any place that drafts a quarterback in the first round. Well I guess starting two or three years is better then not starting at all.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I wonder what kind of signing bonus they gave Kordell Stewart.

I know this, the Bears got Kordell Stewart because they couldn't swing a trade for Brian Griese. They couldn't swing the trade because Denver needed to release Griese after June 1st for cap reasons and as such to be coaxed into taking such an enormous cap hit they would have wanted at least a 1st rounder.

So the Bears bit the bullet and got Kordell. But now, Griese could seriously be available to them for the right price. They still haven't dumbed down their offense to be taylor-made for Kordella so if they get Griese now then it would be just like they got him way back when they wanted to swing a trade. Sure they have Rex Grossman but if I were Brian I would think it would be easy to fend off Grossman for years and possibly forever. I mean Vinny did it pretty easily in New York until he started sucking really really badly and no QB really even thinks about the possibility of when he starts sucking really really bad.

Kordell is new to the locker room. You've got to have some kind of standing with your teammates to cause a locker room disturbance. I'm sure if Chicago got Griese yes there would be a competition but it would be one Griese would easily win, and from there Griese's in the driver's seat in Chicago.

I think it was Chicago that called Cindrich up and said "Hey can we seriously get in this thing? Will we be taken seriously or just used as a bargaining chip?"

I have to completely disagree with you about the locker room presence of Kordell v. Griese. Granted, both of them would be new to the program which puts them both on equal footing as far as competition goes, the problem however, is that Kordell was promised the starting gig by the head coach and to bring in not one, but two individuals who could potentially unseat him would be terrible in the locker room.

If Griese were to win the job, the locker room showdown would be inevitiable due to the fact that there would be guys there who would side with him based upon the promises made. I will repeat my original sentiment that there is absolutely no positive that could come from Chicago signing Griese.

Interesting talk about the Bears. I don't know what to think. The Bears obviously are a talented defensive team as are the Dolphins. Injuries absolutely wrecked that team last year. Never saw anything like that before. You can make an argument for the Bears offensive line being better. Receivers are comparable. Bears do lack a running back, though. And a Cornerback. And warm weather. I live in Chicago, and just moved from Miami a year ago. I really can't say how I'd feel with Griese here. His personality might actually fit better here. Kordell only has a couple of months edge on him, and Brian is apparently a brainiac and can catch up with him. But I was kind of getting used to Stewart as QB here. I don't know what to think. He has a better chance to get a ring with Miami, though. They have the momentum, and that look. The Eye of the Tiger <to quote a bad rocky movie>

Back
Top Bottom