Reaction score
This is an interesting and reasonable article from espn:

Will Griese beat out Fiedler?
By Darrell Trimble
NFL Insider
Send an Email to Darrell Trimble Monday, May 12
Updated: May 12
11:18 AM ET

Agent Drew Rosenhaus fancies himself as something of a clairvoyant. And for those who doubt his credentials, he's only too happy to pat himself on the back for correctly predicting that Edgerrin James would be selected over Ricky Williams in the 1999 draft, and that despite a reconstructed knee Willis McGahee would be the first back off the board this year. Now Rosenhaus is focusing his powers of prognostication on the Miami Dolphins quarterbacking situation.

Griese
Rosenhaus is betting that Brian Griese will land with the Dolphins once he is released by the Denver Broncos. Of course, everyone else is, too. But Rosenhaus is going against the grain once more by proclaiming that Griese will not only wind up in South Florida, but that he'll be the starter by midseason.

''This is just my opinion, not anything anybody told me,'' Rosenhaus said on a local television show. ``Jay is a good player, but Brian is not coming here to be a backup. Brian is too good to keep on the bench.''

That grated on the nerves of coach Dave Wannstedt, who is fiercely loyal to Fiedler. ''Does it bother me? Yes ... when something is said that's untrue and nonfactual,'' Wannstedt told the Miami Herald. ``Our players pay no attention because they know Drew. But if a true Dolphins fan is listening, they're the ones I feel bad for because this is supposed to be professional sports-media reporting.

"That's not sports reporting. Let's be honest. That's Entertainment Tonight. I hope our players and fans consider the source whenever anything is said by him on that station. It's comical.''

And while Rosenhaus, who openly lauded his ploy of using phony televised phone calls to try and improve McGahee's draft status, has a credibility problem, the fact remains that Griese will be by far the most accomplished backup quarterback during Fiedler's tenure as a starter, and some people might even think he's a better option.

To this point in their careers, Griese has played at a Pro Bowl level for one of year as a starter, while being mediocre at best since his 2000 breakout season. But Fiedler's detractor would say that the Dartmouth product has only been mediocre.

Fiedler
Fiedler hasn't exactly lit things up in Miami. Going into last season, he'd thrown 36 career touchdowns and 36 career interceptions. But Fielder did have a better season last year when Ricky Williams was in his backfield, and he's got something that Griese has yet to earn, the respect of his teammates and coach.

Unlike Griese, Fiedler can make plays with his legs, too. But perhaps most importantly, Fiedler possesses the ability to forget the multitude of bad plays he will make during a game. Fiedler can throw three interceptions in the first half, yet still make critical plays in the fourth quarter to pull out a win. But Griese seems to let his mistakes pile up on him until their weight is too heavy for him to shoulder.

And that is why Wannstedt is wedged into Fiedler's corner. So while Griese might be a more accurate quarterback, he won't be able to replace Fiedler barring injury.

I agree witht the analysis...Fielder is a better QB to me at this point..I've watch a lot of Brian..and I'm just not impressed..I've been saying this for weeks now..I don't want Brian to start for us..I just don't see the mental toughness required to lead us..I think he has a lot of intangibles..but I prefer no pressure on him,,i.e. backup Qb..I think he would serve us better there..plus if he came in, then I think he would feel he has to impress us..I prefer him do that, then start.

It's very interesting... I think it will be fun to have the 2 there. I always stood behind Fiedler because I never liked Huard or Lucas... but this will be interesting to see what happens. I'm still not sure who I want to see out there. Let the best man play.

The point here is that if Griese signs, we'll have two solid options at QB. That's exciting.

Gottahave ... I think my post was more for MD than you ... actually ... I think I was just talking to hear myself rattle. By the way ... how do you like my avatar? :lol:

I agree with the article..... The part about jay being able to scramble is the most important to me. If a quarterback can escape the pressure , and becomes a threat to run, it changes the whole game.

My opinion, get Griese, start Fiedler unless he''s hurt.

Back
Top Bottom