Griese's Agent Pulled A Fast One | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Griese's Agent Pulled A Fast One

Steve Mo

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
clear.gif

Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reports:
A league source tells us that the supposed interest of the Packers and Bears in quarterback Brian Griese was merely a ploy by Griese's agent, Ralph Cindrich, to squeeze a little more money out of the Dolphins.
Though both teams actually showed interest in Griese, the source says that there never was a legitimate desire by either of them to outbid the Fins for Griese's services.

As we hear it, the Bears even called Kordell Stewart's agent, Leigh Steinberg, to ensure that Stewart wouldn't get his nose out of joint once word broke that Griese could be coming to Chicago. The source tells us that Cinrich also approached the Vikings about Griese, but the Vikes opted not to place any pressure on $100 million starter Daunte Culpepper. In the end, Griese got a two-year deal that will either be extended or terminated after 2003. So why didn't they sign a one-year deal only? With a two-year contract, Griese's $1 million bonus gets spread over two seasons, counting for $500,000 against the 2003 cap and $500,000 against 2004.

Originally posted by Rebar71
No surprise there. Agents suck.

Only the good one's, if your well liked by the fans and teams, not a good sign. I would want a well hated agent like Rosenhaus.

I'm not sure I believe the vibe PFT (or perhaps their source) is trying to put out here. If you go back to the original reports on negotiations, you'll see that this a very misleading article.

Remember, we wanted a two-year deal, agreeing to roughly $1.5 million base/bonus paid this year. Cindrich demanded 1 year deal worth $1.7-$2 million of base/bonus money, with incentives pushing it over $6 million. In the end, it's a two year deal ($530K base/$1 million bonus) with all the big money pushed into the 2nd year....all avoidable. Now tell me how we got screwed??

Even if Cindrich was trying to create demand from other teams, do any of you honestly believe that Rick Spielman.....after calling Mike Todd's bluffs by contacting the Pats and Vikings.....would take Ralph Cindrich's word for it??

Perhaps those other teams were in kahoots with Cindrich. Perhaps this source is mistaken or is being deceitful. But I don't believe that Cindrich could dupe our FO anymore than they allowed him too.

griese will be worth every penny he gets. i believe griese will be the future of the phins for a long time.

Originally posted by Muck
I'm not sure I believe the vibe PFT (or perhaps their source) is trying to put out here. If you go back to the original reports on negotiations, you'll see that this a very misleading article.

Remember, we wanted a two-year deal, agreeing to roughly $1.5 million base/bonus paid this year. Cindrich demanded 1 year deal worth $1.7-$2 million of base/bonus money, with incentives pushing it over $6 million. In the end, it's a two year deal ($530K base/$1 million bonus) with all the big money pushed into the 2nd year....all avoidable. Now tell me how we got screwed??

Even if Cindrich was trying to create demand from other teams, do any of you honestly believe that Rick Spielman.....after calling Mike Todd's bluffs by contacting the Pats and Vikings.....would take Ralph Cindrich's word for it??

Perhaps those other teams were in kahoots with Cindrich. Perhaps this source is mistaken or is being deceitful. But I don't believe that Cindrich could dupe our FO anymore than they allowed him too.

Exactly. Muck, nicely done.

BB

Ah, sweet vindication from PFT today. :D Nobody messes with Rick Speilman.

Ah, sweet vindication from PFT today. :D Nobody messes with Rick Speilman.

not even i was fooled by that crap. the packers? yeah right. like they have any money to throw around and start something.:lol:

Originally posted by SurtainRulz23
clear.gif

So why didn't they sign a one-year deal only? With a two-year contract, Griese's $1 million bonus gets spread over two seasons, counting for $500,000 against the 2003 cap and $500,000 against 2004.

You answered your own question. We wanted a 2 year deal to spread the SB over 2 years. It would have been tough to squeeze another $500K into this year's cap.

Also, I think it's unlikely that Griese will show enough this year to pay him $6M next, but it's nice to have the option. Plus, there is a good chance to renegociate a long term deal after this year if he does fit in well w/ our system.

The thing is, PFT and their source tried to make it out like there weren't any other teams involved and we got screwed on the deal by a slick Cindrich. As we asserted yesterday after reading PFT's initial article, there turned out to be legitimate interest from other teams......and we got exactly what we wanted in negotiations.

Looks like Finheaven was ahead of PFT on this deal. :up: Maybe we should act like PFT now and write about how we were right and they were wrong......and print it in big, bold letters on the frontpage. :rolleyes: That's one thing I don't like about them: they're all about taking pot shots at ESPN columnists and making fun of everybody's names. They've got big Napoleon complex.

wel, I'm just glad is over and we can now move on. He needs to start getting his timing down with the WR's. I know a lot of people on here are saying that he won't play unless Jay gets hurt. Guess what guys? Jay has gotten hurt every year he's been with us. I hope he stays healthy this year but if he doesn't then I'm glad it'll be Griese and not Lucas.

Ozzy rules!!!!!!!

Now tell me how we got screwed??

This is a very small piece of an excellent post, but I can't see how anyone got screwed. We still have to find out what the incentives are for 2003 to find out if the Dolphins blinked.
As for 2004, Griese has an out if he wants to test the free agent market or finds himself in an intolerable situation. If it's just a very large roster bonus for 2004 Griese could elect to just forgo the bonus and stay as a backup.

Thanks.

Honestly, I think both sides got a good deal. At least it appears that way. Also, Jay played 17 games strong in 2001.

Jay gotten hurt every year? he did not miss a game in 2001, yes he missed time in camp, but so what? In 2000 he missed one game. Yeah he should have sat for more but he played. last year he got hurt and missed six games, but it wasnt a result of a hit or a sack, he hit his thumb on a helmet throwing the ball. 3 other qbs have done the same thing, it is a freak thing that happens. All other qbs w injury missed the season, jay missed six games. I dont agree with the durability issue, 2002 was the only time he missed any sign time.

Back
Top Bottom