Grimes: franchise tag "is not what anybody wants" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grimes: franchise tag "is not what anybody wants"

Daytona Fin

Queeks Draw
Club Member
Reaction score
Dolphins cornerback Brent Grimes is no exception, telling Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald that the tag is “is not what anybody wants.”
The Dolphins don’t want him to reach the market, but they also have plenty of other business to do this offseason, putting some pressure on them to do something to keep the current cap hit low.
Grimes said he hopes his agent and the Dolphins can come to a multi-year deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/11/brent-grimes-wants-no-part-of-the-franchise-tag/

I hope they try a three year deal anything more will be a dangerous contract for the cap.

I hope they try a three year deal anything more will be a dangerous contract for the cap.

They could offer him a 10 year deal and it wouldn't matter. All that matters is the amount guaranteed.

3 year deal would be reasonable especially if they have an out after 2 (no dead money...)

They could offer him a 10 year deal and it wouldn't matter. All that matters is the amount guaranteed.

Yea but a 10 year deal would likely have more bonus than a three year deal.
nobody is signing a 10 year contract with only 10 million guaranteed.

Yea but a 10 year deal would likely have more bonus than a three year deal.
nobody is signing a 10 year contract with only 10 million guaranteed.

10 years was not to be taken literally, but the length of a contract has nothing to do with signing bonus or guaranteed money.

Brent Grimes wants no part of the franchise tag

ad2d1503d6dab4faea18036f915e5c9e-1.jpeg
Getty Images
Teams have a week to decide whether to use the franchise tag, and the reality is, few players want anything to do with it.
Dolphins cornerback Brent Grimes is no exception, telling Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald that the tag is “is not what anybody wants.”
Grimes said he hopes his agent and the Dolphins can come to a multi-year deal
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/11/brent-grimes-wants-no-part-of-the-franchise-tag/

10 years was not to be taken literally, but the length of a contract has nothing to do with signing bonus or guaranteed money.

It does and it doesn't. It all depends on the contract structure but the longer the contract usually the bigger the bonues.
3 year contract works best for us structurewise. Hopefully they don't structure it like Wallace's contract.

he may not want it but if they can't come to an agreement tough nuts...tag it is

Well, we can roll dice and hope one of the kids we drafted in 2013 can be an adequate substitute by 2015, tag Grimes, and draft another kid this year (hopefully with better scouting ability to nag an actually useful player).
Grimes was good but he definitely isn't one of those 'shut down one side of the field' type of players. He's not pre-injury Revis. He doesn't drop balls he gets his hand on, which, I admit, is a HUGE POSITIVE, but big receivers can box him out.

Maybe I'm underestimating his 'WAR' (wins above replacement, which is mostly a baseball term). Maybe I think other talented guys can approximate his performance for a lot less money. I'm just worried about the cap going forward. If this season shows that Ireland's work was total **** and this team has to be totally blown up, then we're gonna need that cap space REAL BAD. I'm optimistic that RT17 can take another step forward and that our offense can get better enough to get those 2 more wins, or at least one more win (which should be enough to make a playoff spot with this format) to make the playoffs. I'm confidant that our offensive line can improve enough to avoid those crushing sacks that flat-out got us beat in 4 different games last year, while allowing us just a bit more ability to run, which our passing offense needs to capitalize in play-action. Ireland just had to be the worst talent evaluator at offensive line, like, ever. Even Pouncey was over-drafted, IMO, and is better suited as a guard. Samson Satele was a starting center this year. Maybe he didn't block as well but he probably didn't tip off the exact second the ball would be snapped so that defenders got an extra half-step on us every play.
I'm just rambling now. I'm out..

Grimes seems like a reasonable guy and a team player so i think they'll come to an agreement on probably a three year deal that's very cap friendly but pays him a nice signing bonus.

OOps , I see this was already posted in Fishfan's thread. Somebody can merge it. Looks like the the main page is cluttered with Grimes threads with the same article.

Back
Top Bottom