Hank Goldberg on QAM just said... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hank Goldberg on QAM just said...

Golphindolphin

town drunk
Club Member
Reaction score
He talked to the Dolphins today, and contrary to the report in the Herald today, he said they expect the rest of the rookie signings to go smoothly and quickly. Said O-gun signing may become a problem.

Hank is usually more reliable than the Herald

David Bowens injury might give Ogun more leverage in what he's asking for.. Wait a minute.. Ogun has no leverage.. He doesn''t signn, he doesn't play.... Period..

True....and he makes sure every caller knows it. lol.

:down: Ogun is a damn selflish bastard. But how many athletes these days aren't. Damn it Ogun get it together.

Yeah I know, for all the leverage David Bowens' injury takes away from the Dolphins, ya might as well scoop a bucket out of Lake Erie. EFAs have no leverage. The team offers them what they want to offer them. Even when OG got a record EFA contract, it was just because the Dolphins wanted to see him get paid fairly well for his production and wanted to see him a Dolphin for a long time. It wasn't because OG bytched and whined and held out. As evidence, check out what they gave Mark Dixon as an EFA at the exact same time. They gave him a similar far above standard contract, and Dixon NEVER bytched...NEVER threatened anything but to stay a Dolphin forever. Who cares about David Bowens. Ogun's an EFA, and truth be told this team took a real chance on him and gave him time that other teams might not have. We signed him undrafted and paid the man to just sit and recover...for like 2 years. Lord knows we probably paid him based on "potential" alone about 600 to 700k before he finally DID anything back for the team. Now he thinks he's John Abraham? Simple, go out there and show us that you're NOT the defensive end version of Lamar Smith, and we'll pay you what you want.

I find it quite sad with what O-Gun is doing. I mean, he was on our roster getting paid and what was he doing? Nothing. He was hurt the whole season (I believe). But the FO was honorable and still paid him. Now here he is demanding more $$ and he's using the status of an injured player to wedge in his demands. I find that quite dishonorable and deplorable. I know some people will disagree with me, but remember what Oronde did last year and how many of us loved him for it. To me it's almost the same thing.
But one trick. Either OGun signs with us or he doesn't play since we have exclusive rights.

Dont get me wrong. I really do like him as a player opposite JT on the line. But with this attitude and disloyalty to his team and his team mates, I think he can just go pound sand up his a$$.

I think its about time we drafted a DE fairly high tell you the truth. We need new blood at the position, a guy who brings excitement. Possibly even a first round pick. Even with the 9.5 sacks, I don't see Ogun as a guy who creates pressure.

I would have loved to have drafted Tully Banta-Cain late this draft. He's got off-field issues, but a lot of talent and we could have had him in like the 6th round.

I don't understand why you guys are taking such a defensive attitude toward O-gun. I checked and he has supposedly been paid $636K from 2000 to 2002. His agent is Drew Rosenhaus and if he tried to get more than the minimum $375K he knows now its not going to happen. It must be the incentives that they can't agree on or are waiting to see how high the Dolphins can go because O-gun is not going to be cut.

Dolphins | More On Ogunleye - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 00:52:02 -0800

Updating an earlier story, the Miami Herald reports DE Adewale Ogunleye signed a one-year, $300,000 contract with the Miami Dolphins. Agent Drew Rosenhaus said the deal includes up to $75,000 in incentives, depending on how many sacks he gets. "The Dolphins were more flexible with the incentives than they had to be," Rosenhaus said. "It worked out well."

Originally posted by Merman
I don't understand why you guys are taking such a defensive attitude toward O-gun. I checked and he has supposedly been paid $636K from 2000 to 2002. His agent is Drew Rosenhaus and if he tried to get more than the minimum $375K he knows now its not going to happen. It must be the incentives that they can't agree on or are waiting to see how high the Dolphins can go because O-gun is not going to be cut.

You are right O-gun WON'T be cut. BUT, if he refuses to sign the EXCLUSIVE-RIGHTS contract we offer him, he won't play. He doesn't get to shop his services elsewhere. He either signs it or sits out the season and goes through the same thing next year. He has no leverage... so, telling us he won't play if he doesn't get what hewants is rediculous. He should be GRATEFUL if we give him anything other than the minimum we are required to. Every other EFA has had to go through the same process... why should he be special??

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I think its about time we drafted a DE fairly high tell you the truth. We need new blood at the position, a guy who brings excitement. Possibly even a first round pick. Even with the 9.5 sacks, I don't see Ogun as a guy who creates pressure.

I would have loved to have drafted Tully Banta-Cain late this draft. He's got off-field issues, but a lot of talent and we could have had him in like the 6th round.

I disagree because I have a feeling he'll have a break out year. I'm with Merman, take it easy on O-gun.

Originally posted by booyeah_

I disagree because I have a feeling he'll have a break out year. I'm with Merman, take it easy on O-gun.

Yup I agree, 9.5 sacks is nothing to sneeze at, even when JT is starting on the other side. I believe O-Gun earned every one of those sacks on his own hard work.

He has a very bright future, I just wish he'd wake up and get into camp!

Oliver...

I'm sorry but, O-Gun has leverage......D. Bowens was healthy and signed to a long term deal and, to me, this indicates that the Dolphin's braintrust were looking for big things out of him this year.... he may have been a back-up who hasn't done anything yet but, the Dolphins positioning says that this hurts more than we think. O-gun has leverage now because he's the man, there's nobody threatening his position, if he holds out we are "thin" at defensive end opposite Taylor.... that could negate our entire pass rush.

This could hurt....I just hope that Drew realizes there just isn't any money there and doesn't hold his client out.

Last edited:
Yeah basically he got $636k to sit on the bench for two years and let his knee recover. After not being able to contribute a lick in 2001 I think a lot of teams might have cut him loose. We stuck with him and gave him the benefit of the doubt. He's a solid contributor, and I'm sure the Dolphins are actually offering something decent, based on what they did with Mark Dixon and Oronde Gadsden. I just have the feeling that since the Phins have probably opened the can of worms by offering something above the EFA tender, Drew Rosenhaus smells blood and is trying to ensure that Ogunleye's ONE GOOD SEASON leads to being paid top dollar. Good thing the Phins didn't allow Lamar Smith to similarly cash in on his ONE GOOD SEASON after 2000. He worked hard, but so did Lamar Smith. He was inconsistent, like Lamar Smith. He had the benefit of help, like Lamar Smith.

Sorry inFINs I think you're just wrong about the emphasis we were placing on David Bowens.

The deal was 3 years, worth approximately $5 million with incentives that could have made it more. On the outset this looks like a big contract for a guy we are counting on to be productive in the future.

Except for the fact that the signing bonus was only $300k.

With the SB info included, we see the contract for what it is...its a contract with a guy with loads of potential that probably will NOT be realized. He can play on special teams, very very rare for a DE, and his rare athleticism is what makes him so attractive to teams. But this is a guy who has large cap figures in the back two years of his contract, and a mere $300k signing bonus...which means cuttin him after year 1 is a piece of cake. If the SB was more in the $1 million range, THEN we'd be talkin about some leverage.

When the front office execs say Bowens was the 8th guy in our DL rotation, they mean it. If the Weasel thinks he's got some special advantage because Bowens is out with injury, he has another thing coming. Both Jay Williams and Rob Burnett are fully capable of starting, and Lamanzer Williams showed a heck of a lot of potential over in Europe gathering 10.5 sacks in only 6 games. Just guys, try to remember that David Bowens was injured a good part of 2002, and was not used all that often.

Back
Top Bottom