HARDBALL! Why Ogunleye will sign something. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

HARDBALL! Why Ogunleye will sign something.

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
We've got another conversation going in another thread about contracts, contract language, and the "spirit" of a contract. I thought before I went any further in the conversation I should actually know what the contract states on the issue.

What I've found is that Ogunleye does have the option to sign a contract the tenth week of the season. That is of course if a contract remains on the table. From my understanding of the language the Dolphins have the right to remove their offer on June 15 and still possess the rights to his a$$.

The next step in the process (after June 15) is to attempt to negotiate a contract through the tenth week of the season. If the player has not signed a contract by that date absent "extreme Club or extreme personal hardship" the rights revert back to the club for the following year. The player receives no credit year. The key to the June 15 through 10th week of the season negotiation is that there is no compensation rights available to the player. In other words on June 15 1.8 million dollars comes off the table and the result after June 15 could be less than that.

So that's my understanding....

(Chris Matthews heard in the background) "Let's play hardball!"

Page 61

(i) (i) In the event that a Restricted Free Agent has not signed a Player Contract with a Club within the Signing Period in the League Year following the expiration of his last Player Contract, and if the Prior Club by June 1 tenders to the Restricted Free Agent a one year Player Contract of at least 110% of his Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other terms of his prior year contract carried forward unchanged) or extends the player’s Qualifying Offer, whichever is greater (the “June 1 Tenderâ€Â), the Prior Club shall be the only Club with which the player may negotiate or sign a Player Contract during the period from June 1 until the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season, at 4:00 p.m. New York time. If the player’s Qualifying Offer is greater than 110% of the player’s Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other terms of his prior year contract carried forward unchanged), the Club may withdraw the Qualifying Offer on June 15 and retain its rights under the preceding sentence, so long as the Club immediately tenders the player a one year Player Contract of at least 110% of his Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other terms of his prior year contract carried forward unchanged) (the “June 15 Tenderâ€Â).

(ii) If a Restricted Free Agent described in subsection (i)(i) above has not signed a Player Contract by the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season, at 4:00 p.m. New York time, the player shall not play football in the NFL for the remainder of that League Year, absent a showing to the Impartial Arbitrator of extreme Club or extreme personal hardship. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be made within five days of the application, and shall consider all information relating to such hardship submitted by such date. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be final and binding upon all parties.

(iii) If a Restricted Free Agent does not play in the NFL in a League Year, his Prior Team shall have the right to tender such player any Qualifying Offer consistent with Section 2(b) prior to the next League Year’s Restricted Free Agent Signing Period. In the event such a Qualifying Offer is tendered, the Prior Team shall have the applicable rights regarding such player according to such tender, and such player shall have the same rights regarding negotiations with other Clubs as he had the previous League Year.

(j) In the event that a Restricted Free Agent has not signed a Player Contract with a Club by June 1 in the League Year following the expiration of his last Player Contract, and if his Prior Club has not by that date made the applicable June 1 Tender to such player, or withdraws the tender, or in the event the Club has withdrawn the applicable June 15 Tender, the player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club may negotiate and sign a Player Contract with such player, without any penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to,

Page 62

Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period.

eltos_lightfoot said:
:eek: Is this true?

My interpretation? I don't know.

But that language in the quote is the actual contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I don't believe that's what it's saying. It's saying that if the tender you made is greater than the minimum required (110% of whatever "Paragraph V Salary" is), after June 15th you can pull any offer off the table but you have to immediately offer a contract for 110% of Paragraph V Salary. Ogun can then wait until the day following the tenth game and sign that tender.

My guess is that paragraph V is in the individual players contract which in Ogunleye's case was substantially low.

So what.... We're looking at a 400,000 offer on June 15? Then prorate that for the games, practice, and meetings actually attended after the tenth week? Would that total less than 100,000?

Could I make more than Adewale this year? :lol:

ZOD said:
My guess is that paragraph V is in the individual players contract which in Ogunleye's case was substantially low.

So what.... We're looking at a 400,000 offer on June 15? Then prorate that for the games, practice, and meetings actually attended after the tenth week? Would that total less than 100,000?

Could I make more than Adewale this year? :lol:

Yes, that is correct... the qualifying offer after June 15th is somewhere around $400,000. And he would be paid $400,000/16 ($25,000) for every week he shows up. So, if he were to sit out till the 10th week and show up for the last 6 games, he would only make about $150,000 this year. I REALLY doubt he is going to leave $1.7million on the table if we don't agree to a long-term contract with him. And HURT his chances of a big contract next year.

Ogun will be back at practice before June 15th... long-term contract extension or not.

The exact figures are $410,000 for the full season June 15 tender, and $170,000 for the six weeks.

ZOD said:
From my understanding of the language the Dolphins have the right to remove their offer on June 15 and still possess the rights to his a$$.

The team has to have the larger tender ($1.824 million) on the table on June 1st to keep its sole negotiating right to the Tuesday after the tenth week of the season.

On June 15th the club can reduce the offer to 110% of last year's contract with all of its terms. $375k * 110% is $412.5k plus his LTBE $250k of incentives from last year.

If the tender is withdrawn at any time Ogun immediately becomes an UFA.

The CBA states:

(j) In the event that a Restricted Free Agent has not signed a Player Contract with a Club by June 1 in the League Year following the expiration of his last Player Contract, and if his Prior Club has not by that date made the applicable June 1 Tender to such player, or withdraws the tender, or in the event the Club has withdrawn the applicable June 15 Tender, the player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club may negotiate and sign a Player Contract with such player, without any penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to,

Page 62

Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period.

A player just has to be on the roster for 6 games to accrue another season. He can't be on the reserve PUP list for a non football injury. Physically Unable to Play.

The CBA states:

Section 1. Accrued Seasons Calculation:

(a) For the purposes of calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement, a player shall receive one Accrued Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of six or more regular season games, but which, irrespective of the player’s pay status, shall not include games for which the player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List, (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a nonfootball injury, or (iii) a Club’s Practice or Development Squad.

Grooves,

We really won't know if Wale hurts his chances until we see how things work out. The real issue is the risk involved. For instance, it would really suck for Wale to sit, sign, then get hurt due to improper conditioning. It would be great for his value if the Miami pass rush stank, then he came in and things turned around.

DolfanDaveInATX said:
The exact figures are $410,000 for the full season June 15 tender, and $170,000 for the six weeks.

I would assume that attending practice, preseason, and team meetings are calculated into that 410,000 figure too.

My guess is that the actual amount for the six weeks is substantially less than 170,000.

ZOD said:
I would assume that attending practice, preseason, and team meetings are calculated into that 410,000 figure too.

No it is not. Players get a per diem for the Work out program, Mini-camp, and Training Camp. The QB schools are a part of the work out program which is 14 weeks long. The work out program only allows 14 days of organized team practices. The CBA even gets into the fact that mini-camps are on weekends and the 14 days of organized practice are to be held during the week. Check out the Dolphins Press Release for how closely it follows the rules.

My guess is that the actual amount for the six weeks is substantially less than 170,000.

$412.5 / 17 * 6 = $145.588k The paragraph 5 salary is paid out during the regular playing season.

Minicamp
Friday, April 30
Saturday, May 1
Sunday, May 2

Quarterback School 1
Tuesday, May 4
Wednesday, May 5
Thursday, May 6

Quarterback School 2
Tuesday, May 18
Wednesday, May 19
Thursday, May 20

Quarterback School 3
Tuesday, June 1
Wednesday, June 2
Thursday, June 3

Quarterback School 4
Monday, June 14
Tuesday, June 15
Wednesday, June 16

Quarterback School 5
Tuesday, June 22
Wednesday, June 23

tanx.....I tink.. :hmmm:

;)

ZOD said:
We've got another conversation going in another thread about contracts, contract language, and the "spirit" of a contract. I thought before I went any further in the conversation I should actually know what the contract states on the issue.

What I've found is that Ogunleye does have the option to sign a contract the tenth week of the season. That is of course if a contract remains on the table. From my understanding of the language the Dolphins have the right to remove their offer on June 15 and still possess the rights to his a$$.

The next step in the process (after June 15) is to attempt to negotiate a contract through the tenth week of the season. If the player has not signed a contract by that date absent "extreme Club or extreme personal hardship" the rights revert back to the club for the following year. The player receives no credit year. The key to the June 15 through 10th week of the season negotiation is that there is no compensation rights available to the player. In other words on June 15 1.8 million dollars comes off the table and the result after June 15 could be less than that.

So that's my understanding....

(Chris Matthews heard in the background) "Let's play hardball!"

My thinking pretty much follows Merman's in that once the Fins pull back the tender, he becomes a UFA. Otherwise, it would give all the advatage to the team and the player would basically have none.

DeDolfan said:
once the Fins pull back the tender, he becomes a UFA.

I dont think Merman was saying that. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom