Hartline agrees to terms with Dolphins | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hartline agrees to terms with Dolphins

Well now that he got his contract out of the way he can start working on scoring TD's this coming season.

Hartline only got 12m guaranteed. I'm happy we kept him.

I honestly just don't see where he would fit.

He's taller, faster, and can go higher than Davone Bess. He'd give you great production for a 4th rounder or even a 3rd rounder. Have him at 4th receiver for a few years and then have him in line to replace Bess.

I like Bess a lot, and I love that he really succeeds with his limitations, but Bess isn't that fast, and isn't that good at YAC. Swope is someone who can do both of those things and would be a great addition.

Hartline could easily had 5 TDs last year if not for a couple overthrown and a couple more under thrown balls too. Hartline is an easy 5 TD guy next to Wallace and Cook. ;)

Every receiver could have 5 TD's if every throw was on target :).

Not a fan of paying him this much, but I will definitely be rooting for him to step his TD production up. It wouldn't have hurt me one bit to see him walk, but it also doesn't hurt me to see him back. But if he doesn't start scoring TD's that extension is going to be a problem.

He's taller, faster, and can go higher than Davone Bess. He'd give you great production for a 4th rounder or even a 3rd rounder. Have him at 4th receiver for a few years and then have him in line to replace Bess.

I like Bess a lot, and I love that he really succeeds with his limitations, but Bess isn't that fast, and isn't that good at YAC. Swope is someone who can do both of those things and would be a great addition.
But bess is also a more experienced vet with much better hands and route running which is something highly valued. No one should expect a raw rookie like swope to put up elite numbers on his rookie season, or put us over top or more valued piece of offense over tthe current Bess. Either way we should trade bess is that's the case but he has been our main outlet for third downs and he's done a good job seeing the little talent we had on offense.

Every receiver could have 5 TD's if every throw was on target :).

Not a fan of paying him this much, but I will definitely be rooting for him to step his TD production up. It wouldn't have hurt me one bit to see him walk, but it also doesn't hurt me to see him back. But if he doesn't start scoring TD's that extension is going to be a problem.

I actually am of the same school of thought. I voted that I did "not" want him back in that poll thread on Hartline, but I'm not mad and am actually ok and even excited we have him back. Especially as a "smart" route runner with sneaky speed on the opposite side of Wallace. And I'm sure he'll be stronger and a bit quicker with a full offseason instead of the skin and bones coming from an appendectomy.

I hope with more talent around him he finds more ways to get in the end zone. Having Beas as the other boundary receiver is also a killer. Bess has a hard time finding the end zone as well. Wallace and at least one drafted receiver and maybe we have something

But bess is also a more experienced vet with much better hands and route running which is something highly valued. No one should expect a raw rookie like swope to put up elite numbers on his rookie season, or put us over top or more valued piece of offense over tthe current Bess. Either way we should trade bess is that's the case but he has been our main outlet for third downs and he's done a good job seeing the little talent we had on offense.

Swope is also a very good route runner. And I can't say how good his hands will be at the pro level, but they were great at the college level. I had said in my last post that we could have him at the no.4 and wait until Bess's contract expires and put him in the role then, giving him a year to get used to the offense. He's just a plain more dynamic slot receiver than Bess, and if you have the chance to improve the position especially with a 3rd or 4th round pick you do it.

I think he's slightly overpaid but you guys need to remember, he had no off season with tannehill and was in bed from surgery for a large part of the off season, couldn't workout couldn't do anything. I fully expect the TDs to increase this season, especially if we get Wallace, which will allow hartline to go against #2s the way he should be.

I'm not a huge fan of the deal, but I certainly understand it.

Exactly, Miike. I'm looking at that small guaranteed amount and the 5yr length of contract and you can easily notice that it "is" basically a $4mil per year contract everyone was demanding for as what makes it $6mil per year is likely big salary numbers in the final years of the contract. I think Ireland did well here.

Woot! Two down on the agenda. Next is Clemons and then bring us Wallace, Cook, and Freeney... go Ireland, go Ireland, it's ya birthday, it's ya birthday go Ireland. ..:chuckle:

If we overpay Hartline and fail to upgrade over Clemmons, this offseason is off to a bad start.

I think he's slightly overpaid but you guys need to remember, he had no off season with tannehill and was in bed from surgery for a large part of the off season, couldn't workout couldn't do anything. I fully expect the TDs to increase this season, especially if we get Wallace, which will allow hartline to go against #2s the way he should be.

I'm not a huge fan of the deal, but I certainly understand it.

That would be a good argument, but he's had 6 TD's in 4 freaking years. It's not a fluke that he couldn't find the endzone in 1 year. We even had Marshall getting double teamed the 2 years he was here, and Hartline still couldn't score more than 2 times.

Back
Top Bottom