Has there ever been a better CB tackler... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Has there ever been a better CB tackler...

Actually what I'll miss about Surtain was his ability to read offenses. In that I mean he knew if a running play was going to come his way and he had this ability to get in the backfield and make plays (not many CB's can do that).

How many times did we see RB's make it around our DE and even a LB only to get stuffed for a 2 yard loss by Surtain?

Sam Madison is the best ever OH wait I thought you said talker. Nevermind:)

PerfectSZN said:
Troy Vincent was pretty good also, however I am not sure he was better than Surtain.

I think Surtain is better.Troy Vincent would get my vote for second best CB we have had but looking at the old games I saw that he was burnt for big plays quite a few times.More that Patrick.

PerfectSZN said:
Now that Surtain is gone, I was sitting here remembering how good of a tackler he was especially in run support. Has there ever been a better Miami CB which could make the open field tackle the way Surtain did? I believe Surtain to be the best overall CB ever here.

Damn we are going to miss him. Hopefully, someone steps up for us or RB's rarely get past our DL!!!!!!!

Surtain was not what you would consider a great tackler...he was very adept at not getting caught out of position for the tackle, but he was not very physical as a CB, except at the LOS...But he may have been the best CB the Fins ever had....

I've been a Fin fan since 71. Best corner we've ever had...... Surtain. He was the complete package. I'll truly miss him. However, it was time to go. He didn't fit in with the rebuilding package at his cost. It's sad, but football is also a business. The dollars just didn't add up.

The glory era guys, Foley and Johnson, were aggressive against the run but you had to be a hitter in that era with the much higher percentage of running plays plus the ability to chop receivers before the ball was thrown. CBs had to take out the lead guard on sweeps all the time. Curtis Johnson was a better athlete than Tim Foley but Foley did a better job of keeping his head square while tackling. Johnson liked to turn his shoulder to absorb the blow.

Surtain impressed me more with his cover ability, hands and instincts than ability versus the run. We might be overrating him there simply based on comparison to Madison. Dick Anderson was the Dolphin DB who was great against the run. Off the top of my head I can't think of another.

Back
Top Bottom