Help | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Help

Dolphins-Diehard

Active Roster
Reaction score
I need someone who is smarter than me, when it comes to the dolphins cap situation. If Miami restructured the contracts of Chubb, Hill, and Armstead and all contracts were geared toward heavy signing bonus for all three players, that would lower the cap hell we are in now? From what I have been seeing in the league, if the team owner is willing to eat huge amount of cash then its a win win for the player and the team cap. If what I just said is correct then I believe the dolphins will be alright. One thing we know for sure, Ross dose not mind spending money. Anyone who can help clarify the contract restructure process that would be greatly appreciated...FINS UP!!

I need someone who is smarter than me, when it comes to the dolphins cap situation. If Miami restructured the contracts of Chubb, Hill, and Armstead and all contracts were geared toward heavy signing bonus for all three players, that would lower the cap hell we are in now? From what I have been seeing in the league, if the team owner is willing to eat huge amount of cash then its a win win for the player and the team cap. If what I just said is correct then I believe the dolphins will be alright. One thing we know for sure, Ross dose not mind spending money. Anyone who can help clarify the contract restructure process that would be greatly appreciated...FINS UP!!
hey Bud, the signing bonus has everything to do with the cap, if it didn't then you would have rich owners outbuying each other for players and essentially buying championships, the richest owner would win per say, but thats not how it works,

real simple, ''A signing bonus is prorated against the salary cap over the length of the contract. Example: A four-year contract with a $16 million signing bonus will include a salary cap charge of $4 million in each year of the deal.''

All it does is allow the player to get money now, and the team to spread it out. As the previous example says, Fins sign a guy for $16M over 4 years. Fins give him $1M per year and $12M as a signing bonus, so he pockets that $12M money right away. But the team doesn't take a $12M cap hit right away, they take the hit spread out over the length of the contract, so only a $4M (12 / 4 = $3M bonus + $1M salary) hit this year. But in the end, all $16M will count against the cap at some point, and it all moves into the current year that he is released or traded, if that happens.

there's no way around the cap.....you can do things to create space for 2024 but you'll be paying the price of it the next few years......the best way to do is to draft well on a regular basis.....the ravens have done that....SF has done that(other than trading 3 picks for a bad QB)......Detroit has drafted well.......we OTOH have drafted poorly the last couple of years and have used high picks to trade for high priced players.....that's not sustainable

There’s no free lunch. Every dollar paid to a player hits your cap eventually. It’s just a matter of when.

Signing bonuses are prorated. So if you give someone a $21 million signing bonus on a 3-year deal, that’s $7 million per year in cap hits.

Base salary is not prorated. So that hits the cap when it comes due. If it is guaranteed, there is no way around it, but you can convert it to a signing bonus—“restructure” it—to spread the cap hits out over the duration of the contract’s length.

Restructuring Armstead would be risky because it means we will be spreading his money out into the future, and he is likely not even going to be on the team after next year. It’s probably best to take our medicine with him.

But if we restructure Ramsey and Chubb, that would save us $32 million in cap space.

It often is a short term solution that leads to a long term problem.

Like trading away draft picks for players and then giving the players massive contracts.

there's no way around the cap.....you can do things to create space for 2024 but you'll be paying the price of it the next few years......the best way to do is to draft well on a regular basis.....the ravens have done that....SF has done that(other than trading 3 picks for a bad QB)......Detroit has drafted well.......we OTOH have drafted poorly the last couple of years and have used high picks to trade for high priced players.....that's not sustainable
Lemming 🤣

The Ever Thanking Danny VIPER

Well... I'm not smarter than you, but I can explain the cap.

The thing to remember about the cap is that every dollar that a player receives... comes due.

Yes, you can 'restructure' Hill (and the others') contract, but that just means you are spending some of the money from 2025's allotment... or 2026... or 2027.

So yes, we could GREATLY reduce their cap hits for 2024... but that would ABSOLUTELY bite us in the ass in future years. This is absolutely undebatable.

Yes... the cap goes up each year... and yes, every team has some dead money, but when you push 40... or 50... or 90m down the road, you WILL lose players, (many players) in future years. This is why we have Armstead and the Saints don't.

Some 'fans' like to pretend it won't happen or that they don't care so long as the can have their candy now-- right NOW daddy... but I can guarantee you, those who endorse this view will just switch to whining and bitching about that damned Grier when this happens.

100%

Back
Top Bottom