HERALD: Putting draft on the line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

HERALD: Putting draft on the line

Dolfan954

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiheral...jon@doe.com&KRD_RM=5mpuuqnttlopmptollllllllml|jon|Y

Addressing the offensive line is the key to the rest of the Dolphins' offseason moves, starting with the NFL draft April 24-25.
By ARMANDO SALGUERO

The offseason is half over and the wave of free agents has slowed to a trickle now, but the Dolphins still have unsettling questions along the offensive line, a quandary at wide receiver and smaller issues at safety and linebacker.

So with the draft beckoning on April 24 and 25, Miami has temporarily shifted the offseason's focus to the college ranks.
The Miami personnel department spent the early part of last week meeting to assemble the team's draft board. For the first time in his four years with the team, General Manager Rick Spielman will shoulder ultimate responsibility for the draft. He was on the road during the middle of the week getting a look at possible draftees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it say anything about where he was going or who he may be looking at/targeting??? The suspense is KILLING me.

''There's some guys out there,'' Wannstedt said. ``But if we were looking for a veteran guy who can still play and win, [right guard] Todd Perry is that guy. Todd Perry and
Tim Ruddy are guys we didn't close the door on. Every year there's going to be a veteran guy -- and they want to test the market, too. And they may sign a one-year deal and get to play for a good team and live where they want to live.''​

They call that the "Dust 'em off and slap on a fresh coat of paint" strategy.​

This guys says that if the Phinz had to field the OL they have now, it wouldn't be any better than the one that stuggled last year....

How does he know??...

This article is garbage. It's also highly speculative. This guy knows no more than any of us right now. He has a good point about the right side of the OL, but it's still a mystery until we get to see these guys in action. I can't imagine it being any worse....

PHINZ RULE!!!:pirate:

One question is how much better (or not better) will Whitley be with a year of practice and working out under his belt ? Will St. Clair be better suited inside at guard or center than he was at tackle ?? There are questions to be resolved, but athletically, this line is better than last years....not counting McI. I just can't see how the OL can play much worse than it did last year.... Armando...get with the program....

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG
This guys says that if the Phinz had to field the OL they have now, it wouldn't be any better than the one that stuggled last year....

How does he know??...

This article is garbage. It's also highly speculative. This guy knows no more than any of us right now. He has a good point about the right side of the OL, but it's still a mystery until we get to see these guys in action. I can't imagine it being any worse....

PHINZ RULE!!!:pirate:
I agree blitz...no one knows how good or bad the OL is now. This is just a reporter aching for a Dolphins story. :)

Originally posted by dreadlockera
Does it say anything about where he was going or who he may be looking at/targeting??? The suspense is KILLING me.
Check your PMs. ;)

If Andrews and the three other options Spielman will take with him into the first-round on draft day are off the board when the Dolphins pick, they likely will entertain offers to trade down, perhaps out of the first round altogether.
then they mention Purdue's Stuart Schweigert, USC's Jacob Rogers or Georgia Tech tackle Nat Dorsey (if we trade down). So there is some meat there to an article that c/b titled things we already know going into the draft.

Also, Ruddy c/come back, too
But if we were looking for a veteran guy who can still play and win, [right guard] Todd Perry is that guy. Todd Perry and
Tim Ruddy are guys we didn't close the door on​

"The Dolphins need depth at the linebacker position following the loss of Tommy Hendricks in free agency and Eddie Moore's uncertain legal status. "

"uncertain legal status"?

Come on, Armando. It's a disorderly conduct charge.

Even in Texas they don't shoot you for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by TheBostonBomber
imo, it would be better, by very little though.

I agree it would not be as good as we would like, but MUCH better than last year. Smith is said have bulked up quite a bit and looking strong. Of course he also has a year of exp under his belt. He will be better. Jeno is much better than an injured Nails. The LG will be better. Seth took as many snaps as Ruddy last year and would have replaced him if he had better line recognition. He should have better recognition capabilities this year and even if not he is equal to Ruddy. I think better. The right side is a different story but not a huge donslide. Perry was iffy at best and I think we will make a run at a rookie at G or perhaps even Allen. That would be an upgrade. If we stay the course at RG Yates and Whitley would not be much worse if any. Prob not as smart as Perry but physically better. Lastly is RT. Wade had huge upside but never got to that next level. He was ok but not great. I think Andrews would be close to equal as would McIntosh once he is 100%.
At the end of the day from C left is vastly improved and the right about equal. At worse, still better from C left but the right side might be a bit of a dropoff. Overall still better IMHO especially when the teams will need to respect our passing game a bit more and take some of the run blocking stress off the line. I still hope for improvement especially on the right, but feel much better about the line overall. Wanny is, as always, jockying for "his" vets.:fire: I would rather see Nails back than Perry. He could be fully recovered this year and a vet min might be a good risk.

Originally posted by FinaciousOne
"uncertain legal status"?
legal status is not the concern as much as a game(s) suspension :hmmm:

Back
Top Bottom