Hickey/Ireland difference per Barry Jackson. (playmakers)? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hickey/Ireland difference per Barry Jackson. (playmakers)?

Tiko377

Active Roster
Reaction score
### Former Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland had no interest in short, light linebackers (Miami’s lightest linebacker is 240 pounds) and was disinclined to make exceptions to his size/weight prototypes at other positions.
But whereas new GM Dennis Hickey prefers big players at certain positions, he has no stringent requirements if he likes a player. So Hickey appears far more likely to draft some smaller, playmaking linebackers than Ireland would.
Case in point: Hickey strongly advocated Tampa Bay’s decision to draft 6-1, 233-pound Lavonte David, who was far better than any Miami linebacker this past season.
Keep that in mind with a player such as Ohio State’s 6-2, 229-pound Ryan Shazier, who led the Big 10 with 144 tackles and could go late in the first round or during the second round in May. “He’s got a lot of Lavonte David in him,” ESPN’s Mel Kiper said. “He’s all over the field, heck of a player.”
### Ray Farmer, who was named Brown GM on Tuesday, said he didn't know he would be getting the Cleveland job when he turned down a chance for a second interview with the Dolphins a few weeks ago. "That job was not right for Ray Farmer," he said Tuesday, oddly using the third person. (Farmer wouldn't give the Dolphins a specific reason, either.)
Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-thought-lebrons-future-um.html#storylink=cpy

Jimma used to draft based on production, not on physical stats. Zack Thomas was considered to short, and Jason Taylor was considered a "tweener" when they were drafted.
We all know how that turned out.
If this report is true, I like Hickey much more already..

It's that same RancidTuna measurement-by-positions paradigm. Sore of like missing out on Jimmy Graham cuz you don't waste a 3rd rounder on a TE. :idk: Good Riddance to that whole woebegone bunch.

Hickey was far from my first choice or even a guy that I really thought had excelled as director for Tampa but Im excited for two reasons. One he is not Ireland and he does seem like he has a good approach to drafting.
I detest overdrafting people based on perceived physical gifts and ignoring what they actually do on field. Drafting guys like Ronnie Brown and Deon Jordan too early is just not a recipe for success

Playmakers are playmakers....find guys who have had an impact in college against stellar competition and go from there...

### Former Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland had no interest in short, light linebackers (Miami’s lightest linebacker is 240 pounds) and was disinclined to make exceptions to his size/weight prototypes at other positions.
But whereas new GM Dennis Hickey prefers big players at certain positions, he has no stringent requirements if he likes a player. So Hickey appears far more likely to draft some smaller, playmaking linebackers than Ireland would.
Case in point: Hickey strongly advocated Tampa Bay’s decision to draft 6-1, 233-pound Lavonte David, who was far better than any Miami linebacker this past season.
Keep that in mind with a player such as Ohio State’s 6-2, 229-pound Ryan Shazier, who led the Big 10 with 144 tackles and could go late in the first round or during the second round in May. “He’s got a lot of Lavonte David in him,” ESPN’s Mel Kiper said. “He’s all over the field, heck of a player.”
### Ray Farmer, who was named Brown GM on Tuesday, said he didn't know he would be getting the Cleveland job when he turned down a chance for a second interview with the Dolphins a few weeks ago. "That job was not right for Ray Farmer," he said Tuesday, oddly using the third person. (Farmer wouldn't give the Dolphins a specific reason, either.)
Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-thought-lebrons-future-um.html#storylink=cpy

when I read this in the back of my mind I smiled, I know it doesn't mean a thing in the long run that he said his name in third person...but that rubbed me the wrong way...im excited he is Cleveland's latest blunder

Jimma used to draft based on production, not on physical stats. Zack Thomas was considered to short, and Jason Taylor was considered a "tweener" when they were drafted.
We all know how that turned out.
If this report is true, I like Hickey much more already..

So did Mike Ditka, that's how he got Danny Weurffel. You still need to be smart about it.

when I read this in the back of my mind I smiled, I know it doesn't mean a thing in the long run that he said his name in third person...but that rubbed me the wrong way...im excited he is Cleveland's latest blunder

Me too, could you imagine if he got the job here and routinely referred to himself in the third person?. Did not like the sound of that at all.

I don't get why Ray Farmer not taking the job is still a story weeks later. You'd swear it was Ozzie Newsome. Who the hell is Ray Farmer anyway? :idk:

Would have been funnier if he would have said "That job was not right for Roy Farber,"

To think the Cleveland let Lombardi go for Farmer...that franchise has no hope.
Assclown circus there in the rusty hood by the lake

Back
Top Bottom