High Paid QBs 'losing the offseason'... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

High Paid QBs 'losing the offseason'...

QB position is obviously the most valued position in football. But it seems like paying the best QBs these extra extravagant contracts may be detrimental to the teams. So I'm wondering people's opinion on this.

If you have a Mahomes or Rodgers, it seems you pretty much have pay them extravagantly or someone else will and then your team will flounder back to mediocrity or worse. But in the same breath, if you can’t afford to surround the QB with important pieces, you could be turning yourself into just a playoff contender instead of a constant Superbowl contender. Seems like teams are at their best when they have a top 5 QB whose still under their rookie contract.

What you‘ve detailed above is 100% legit. It’s the elephant in the room. The big conundrum.

And it’s not just a problem in the NFL, it’s a problem in the NBA and MLB too, but more so in the NFL due to the hard cap.

Most these players talk about wanting to win, but when it’s time to put their money where their mouth is they can’t do it. They almost always choose the money. I suppose it’s hard to blame them in many cases.

However it’s the rare ones that really do want to win that can drastically increase their team’s chances to win by sacrificing $$$.

While I constantly talk about “teams” winning titles and not players, the one thing I will give Tom Brady a helluva a lot of credit for is actually being the rare unicorn that valued winning over his contract. Because he consistently took less from the Cheatriots so that the team could keep talent.

IMO that is one of the biggest reasons they were able to consistently win for so long and is a factor that is widely overlooked and under-appreciated. While I don’t believe Brady is the GOAT in terms of talent and ability, he became the most accomplished QB of all time due to his unselfishness and willingness to place “team” and winning above making the most $$$ he could. He allowed the Cheatriots to keep a deep and talented team around him.

As we see most every year, most star players aren’t able to do that. And that’s why it’s very hard to win once you’ve maxed out the QB position.

In the era of QB mega contracts the only one to win a Super Bowl while getting paid at(or near) the top of the position is Manning in 2015.

Rodgers was making 6 million when he won his only SB and Brady always took far less than the market would have paid.

You can win a lot of games and be a constant playoff team with a Franchise QB making Franchise QB money but it is really hard to win the big one doing that.

Guys like Aikman and Young and Favre and Montana and Elway were being paid well but it was not as out of whack as it is now.They were not taking the massive % of the teams budget(no Cap back then as well).

Guys like Aikman and Young and Favre and Montana and Elway were being paid well but it was not as out of whack as it is now.They were not taking the massive % of the teams budget(no Cap back then as well).
Teams are so desperate to find and keep "the guy" it threw the qb market out of whack. The other issue is these teams paying the Glennon's, the tyrod Taylor's etc. A boat load of money for average to poor results. As a result it drove prices up and up to the point of no return.

Look at howuck kirk cousins is making and ask if the vikings would not be better served with letting him go and finding other guys? He has not delivered the results that you pay him for. Look at tannehill, they pay all this money and he throws 4 picks that were a huge difference in the playoff game.

The other issue is the lack of turnover in qbs. It was not a rare sight for guys to switch teams back in the 90s and 00s. He'll Randall Cunningham played for the eagles, cowboys and vikings in a quick span. Brad Johnson/Trent Dilfer won super bowls and were allowed to move on. Too many guys get to hang around and collect checks.

It’s just the way things work in the NFL. The best QB’s in the league are going to sign for the most money and eventually that money is going to cause the team to lose some of their better players at other positions. This is only going to get worse with the new contract Watson signed in Cleveland and the contracts Burrow and Herbert likely get in the next year will tie up a large percent of their teams salary cap.

If Tua takes a giant step up next season and the Dolphins decide to resign him to a new long term contract, the Dolphins will be in the same situation of all the other teams with highly paid QB’s.

The Titans seem to be convinced Tannehill isn’t the answer at QB if they want to get to the SB. Rumors are they looked in to trading for Rogers and Watson. The drafting of Willis seems to mean that Tannehill probably has one year left in Tennessee unless he can lead them to a SB or Willis just fails to impress the coaching staff in his rookie season.

Tannehills dead cap hit is over $57 million next season but only a little over $18 million in 2023. I think they might look to trade him after the 2022 season if they think Willis can be their starter in 2023 and they don’t make the SB this coming season.

I just wonder how much interest there would be for a 35 year old Tannehill in 2023 if the Titans do try to trade him.

Back
Top Bottom