Highest Priority Moves | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Highest Priority Moves

Jorser

Insider
Reaction score
Top moves and possible players in order of importance, impact only, not depth positions.

1) QB - Brunell ( Jaguars)
2) LG/C - Damien Woody ( Patriots) Can play either guard or center depending on where they play McKinney.
3) RT - Re-sign Todd Wade. The INTERIOR of the line needs upgrading. Can not change 4 of 5 players on OL. New guy more costly.
4) #2 WR - Dennis Northcutt ( Browns) or Darrell Jackson ( Seahawks). Must have shifty, nifty, quick, fast, across the middle guy.
4) #3 WR - #1 Draft Choice ( Michael Clayton) Big physical STUD. So long Derrius and Oronde.
5) OG - #3 Draft Choice. Mauling ,mean, nasty, and massive guy. Will compete for other interior spot after Woody and McKinney.
6) LDE- Re-sign Ogunleye to long term deal. The strength of the team can not be diminished and if he is tendered for 1 yr deal, he is gone after next year any way. Lower priority in that they could get by without him and if he is tendered and offered a contract they would get something for him. I would rather cut Jay Williams and David Bowens than let Ogunleye go.

Todd Wade IS our best offensive lineman, we need to keep him. There are enough young guys to compete with the #3 draft choice between Nails, Whitley, Yates, and Jerman ( really ONLY a RG), that one should emerge as starter to go with McKinney and possible Woody. McKinney would probably be center and Woody LG. Most of the young guys we have, including Nails are more suited for RG.

No thoughts on drafting a quarterback :confused: ? I know this team is built to win here and now, but at some point we need to look at the future, even if it is in the 4th round, which i would rather not do.

ok, dude....we cant afford to re-sign O-gun and bring in Woody/Brunell. What we need to do is tender him so some other team swoops in and grabs him, and we get draft picks as compensation.

Cap Situation

While this blueprint might be a little rich, NONE of us know at this point in time, what they can or can not do. The team has and continues to be very creative in finding ways to get the players that they want in the last few years, and last I checked has not lost anyone that they really wanted to keep in free agency. They made DECISIONS not to sign the Gandy's and Turley's last year, it was not because they could not afford it. We have $121,000 in dead cap money for 2004, this number may be the best in the league. Sure they are $17M over the cap, but that number can easily be trimmed, contracts re-structered, and new players signed to 2004 very cap friendly deals in order to have the leverage they need to do something very similar to what I am suggesting if they choose. Brunell, Woody, and Jackson are not the top tier guys in free agnecy and while bigger names than in the past, are still not bank breakers. Did you really think at the start of the 2003 off season that we would land Sammy Knight, Brian Griese, Junior Seau, Jeff Zgonina, Derrius Thompson, AND Terrell Buckely??? No way. And we carried over $6M in dead money this year on Daryll Gardner alone. Bottom line....... before all the capologists on this board jump in........ is they can be flexible to do what they need to do. I don't want to hear about cap jail. We were in cap jail last year too and had a productive ( at least initially on paper, no hindsight please) free agency period.

Keep in mind what we gave those guys their first year. Combined I think their first year salaries amounted to something like 6m only. That would land one good FA, maybe squeeze in Brunell. So I don't know, I think the best would be a cut veteran T like Adam Meadows or Brad Hopkins and Brunell.

If we sign a guy like Jackson, we won't draft a WR before the 3rd. Northcutt I like, but a Troy Brown would be cheaper if Northcutt gets a pretty good offer elsewhere.

i like northcutt as well, mainly because hed bring us a return game also

Yeah, he's a great punt returner and decent at KR(they use Dre Davis back there though). He's a great slot guy and still pretty young.

Todd Wade sucks... i can't understand why people don't see that. he wants WAY to much money for his ability. i would rather have tait/jones/pace for the same price.

Ah no Blueprint he is asking Clifton money not Pace/Jones money.

Would have been nice but anyway.

Back
Top Bottom