Hindsight is 20/20... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hindsight is 20/20...

I wanted Watt, who ironically would be a great fit in Flores "system".

In this scenario Kamara would probably be the right pick although I am loathe to use 1st rounders on RB's..........but his pass catching skills make him a bigger weapon than just a ball carrier.

Now he would have been wasted behind the Fins OL but that is another matter.

First four picks upon hindsight...quarterback, quarterback, tight end, wide receiver.

Yep, for all the talk about quarterbacks being overdrafted it generally is the opposite. If you can isolate the correct one there is no such thing as overdrafted, while every year there are some perfectly fine defensive players who simply are drafted much higher than they should be, given the current rules and therefore their impact on the game.

It is now a Don Coryell league

Anyway, I would have taken Watt that year, as I mentioned at the time. I didn't understand the scheme fit nonsense but I always dismiss scheme fit. Even if it's correct once in a while you are wasting too much time overthinking matters and giving up too many superior players who would indeed fit.

Do playground kids draft teams based on scheme fit?

I remember Charles Harris made some sacks for me in 2015 or 2016 in a game I wagered on and won. I made some positive comment about him here. Slimm set me straight in a hurry. The next time I watched Missouri more carefully. I was stunned at how correct Slimm was. Harris was not much of anything. Then he flunked the analytics worse than imaginable. No problem. I guess he was a scheme fit.

I dont think Mahomes would have been this great if he went to the Browns, would have far more been in the Farve realm. Lots of good plays lots of INT and head scratching plays but not some transcendent highest paid player in the league type.

Never underestimate the value of Andy Reid's tutelage. Watch what a QB does with him, then watch that QB when they go elsewhere.
I read an interesting article about Mahomes- how when he got to KC they just let him rip- pre-season, practice- make mistakes, go nuts. From this they fine-tuned where his strengths were and what they could do to improve him. They did not try to fit him into what they had planned. Reid then tailored an offense to Mahomes. Kind of common sense, but clearly not enough coaches can do it. And Reid is GREAT at it.

Back
Top Bottom