Hindsight is a b**ch | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hindsight is a b**ch

rhadaddy

Who's your daddy?
Reaction score
Who would've thought that losing Mike Shula would've had such an adverse affect on our offense, not to mention our season.

I've been trying to figure out our qb struggles, some say it's the o-line, some say it's the lack of running game, some say it's the wr's or QB themselves... Which are all very valid points. But no one mentioned the loss of Mike Shula.

Well Remember last year when we were 5-1, JF looked like the second coming of Rich Gannon (maybe exaggerating) but there was talk of him being a pro-bowl QB.

I read earlier that Fiedler mentioned how the Loss of Mike Shula probably has something to do with his struggles, becasue he was more detailed in helping them out with their mechanics and the little things. Norv Turner is spread to thin to help them out. It's like a baseball team losing a good pitching coach and instead of bringing in a replacement, they ask the batting coach to pick up the slack.

The more I think about it, the less confidence I have in NT. Both Fiedler and Griese are capable qb's that can succeed in this league. They've both shown flashes. They just need more coaching becasue they're both very cerebral. I think both of their problems are very correctable. JF needs to be more consistant and better at looking off the DB. BG needs to be better with his pocket awareness, release and dropbacks. All that can be done by better recognizing pre snap formations.

Maybe I'm fishing, but just a thought.

Exactly! Good analysis on the QB situation. We have had alot of "debate" about who should be the QB. So much so, it seems to be more about who the QB is and not if they win. Can we say " cant see the forrest through the trees." Your post spells it out. They are different. Both are capable. Both need a better line to succeed. Lets hope they figure out a way to keep defenders out of the backfield no matter who is under center.

Our line wasn't that much better last year

Originally posted by dreadlockera
Exactly! Good analysis on the QB situation. We have had alot of "debate" about who should be the QB. So much so, it seems to be more about who the QB is and not if they win. Can we say " cant see the forrest through the trees." Your post spells it out. They are different. Both are capable. Both need a better line to succeed. Lets hope they figure out a way to keep defenders out of the backfield no matter who is under center.

JT is right. Hell he's one of the best DE in the league and he's faced a few backup LT this season and didn't have a monster game. Was he loafing? No. Teams just adjusted to his tendencies. Teams are chipping him with wr's and te before they run their route. that alone can add a second or two, to pass. also teams know that speed rusher like him likes to take the outside route. So they usually run traps off the left guard, becasue it autmatically takes him out of the play or the QB just steps up in the pocket and he has to turn from outside and now run up towards the QB. Both D Freeney and Jovon Kearse were basically taking the outside route (which in terms of x's and o's is the longest route to the QB, especially if he just steps up in the pocket) and they would just meet BG as if BG was backing into them.

Only coaching can help BG with his pre-nsap reocgnitions, things like depending on how the DE is lined up gives away what route he's gonna take or who's gonna be blitzing. It's not all his fault, but he's the manager of the offense so he needs to recognize whats going on and make adjustments accordingly.

The same with JF, he needs to work on his timing, and looking off he db's better. Also, it would help if he made better decisions about when to run and when to pass, because seems a little tentative and indecisive this year.

I mentioned the same thing a few weeks ago. When asked if they needed another QB coach, Jay was very PC saying, "I've been around a while, so I'm pretty good about self-coaching" or something to that effect. There's no question he and the other QBs would rather have a coach. It's tough to self coach at the pro level. Heck, Pittsburgh didn't have a QB coach for like 20 years. Then they got one and an OC who'd cater to his strengths (Mularky), and he had a Pro Bowl year.

That's what's so sad

Originally posted by Muck
I mentioned the same thing a few weeks ago. When asked if they needed another QB coach, Jay was very PC saying, "I've been around a while, so I'm pretty good about self-coaching" or something to that effect. There's no question he and the other QBs would rather have a coach. It's tough to self coach at the pro level. Heck, Pittsburgh didn't have a QB coach for like 20 years. Then they got one and an OC who'd cater to his strengths (Mularky), and he had a Pro Bowl year.

This team has everything to be the best team in the league. It's just the little things that are neglected which exacerbates (sp) into bigger problems, especially when the team is struggling.

Wise should be making line adjustments and not just swapping out players, hell coach them, show them a few tricks involve the wr's, te's and rb's

Norv should be making adjustments according to how defenses are attacking our offense, He's done it before, but he hasn't been consistant in making adjustments. Norv also needs to be more assertive in working with the QB's fundamentals becasue he's the QB coach

Dave is supposed to make sure his coaches are doing what needs to be done to have his offensive unit running optimally and efficiently. Somewhere along the line the little stuff is getting ignored and it's hurting the team.

I think it's up to Norv to put in the protection schemes. From there, the position coaches coach them up. But I agree with what you're saying. It's not like this team has no talent. But that extra "it" isn't there. The individual "parts" are better than the "sum".

Back
Top Bottom