Hindsight | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hindsight

exactly inFINSible

Originally posted by inFINSible
Anybody who thinks last years draft was a bust obviously has no clue.:(
After next season, you can say whether this draft was good or great but I guaruntee you won't be able to say it was a bust.
too soon to call, but it was a good draft for a team that was 11-5 the year before since the top 4 picks made the team and 2 were starters by year end (Chambers and Greenwood) and the 3rd (Minor) a major contributor as 3rd down back and on S/T. Fletcher is the wild card. If Fletcher is not a major upgrade over Jerry Wilson in 2002, then the 2001 draft will be mediocre, if Fletcher is as good as Cousins in 2002, the we had a good draft, if Fletcher is better than Cousins in 2002, we have a great draft (all else being equal).

P.S.

check out http://www.miamidolphins.com/history/alltimedraftchoices/alltimedraftchoices9.asp#2001

We forgot about our 5th pick Shawn Draper who is one of our TE's. Otis Leverette and Brandon Winey were signed to other teams rosters from our practice squad - so they were NFL players not good enough to play for the Fins. And Heupel is now on GB. So the quality of the picks is there and 5 players are on our rosters, pretty good for a team that picked so late and had no 7th round pick :cool:

To rank a draft after 1 season is absolutely ridiculous and if you asked any personnel man in the NFL to say if a draft was a bust or not that early would laugh you out of the room.

This debate should be over really.

LUDICROUS statement to begin with!

Ludicrous is what the offseason is all about. I agree Minor could be good but i doubt he will see the ball that much, considering RW touched it 372 times last year, and will likely see the ball more on a team that shouldn't be losing by 40 points at half time. Greenwood was and is a starter but not becasue he earned the job, it was because there was a lack of anyone else to put there. He returned from being injured 4 days before he made his first start, after no training camp. He made a few nice plays at the end of the season, but is to small and weak to get away from blocks by lineman, and hasn't adjusted well to coverage. Fletcher is still a mystery we will all find out in august if he really was a bust or not, but these guys don't have much to do with my point. My point is that Most any coach in the NFL would find a couple of players in the first 3 rounds with 4 picks, but the good coaches can find the gems in the late rounds. Especialy in the days of the salary cap it is critical to find some late round cheap steals. What did we find? A player who is now our 3rd string blocking TE and 3 players now fighting for jobs in other training camps. By the way I hope that Chambers destroys what he did last and makes the pro bowl, but don't cash all your chips in yet. Please remember Troy Stradford. He was the ROY for Miami and now I think he pumps gas at 7/11.

you're whole concept is absolutely ridiculous. Was the draft a bust because our team was too good for 4-7 rounders to make the team? Does picking 4 good players on day one get outweighed by an unseuccessful 2nd day?

You say the draft was a bust because no 2nd day players contributed to an 11-5 team that was a defending division champion and won a playoff game.

Please tell me if I am absolutely retarded for LAUGHING at that thought process!!!!!!!!

What about all the 2nd day/FA players that we have picked up in previous that are too valuble to let go of for new street free agents and undrafted free agents? Gamble, Dyer, Perry, Vincent, Andrew, Grant, Haley, Ogunleye, Wooden, Zach, Freeman?

There are only so many contracts to go around you know.

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
you're whole concept is absolutely ridiculous. Was the draft a bust because our team was too good for 4-7 rounders to make the team? Does picking 4 good players on day one get outweighed by an unseuccessful 2nd day?

You say the draft was a bust because no 2nd day players contributed to an 11-5 team that was a defending division champion and won a playoff game.

Please tell me if I am absolutely retarded for LAUGHING at that thought process!!!!!!!!

What about all the 2nd day/FA players that we have picked up in previous that are too valuble to let go of for new street free agents and undrafted free agents? Gamble, Dyer, Perry, Vincent, Andrew, Grant, Haley, Ogunleye, Wooden, Zach, Freeman?

There are only so many contracts to go around you know.
Draper was a 5th rounder and made the team and Leverette and Winey was "stolen" from the practice squad.

Draper has potential and you might even find him playing a little OT. He is versatile. I was dissappointed to see Winey go because I thought he had the potential of becoming a starter some day. Heupel and Leverette both are active in the NFL as well. I feel that in the second day we had 4 players that could make the team. Pretty darn good.

Back
Top Bottom