Hmmm..a Trade that didn't happen. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hmmm..a Trade that didn't happen.

phinphanphrommi said:
You don't think it makes it look like he doesn't trust Feeley and Frerrotte?

Maybe he thought he could get a QB he liked for a 3rd or 4th instead of using the #2 on one. Perhaps failing that, he is going to get his QB in the draft.

I wouldn't doubt he picks a QB....BUT not early. If your sold on either Rodgers or Smith....you don't go to E-bay to check out a bargain, first. Thats like wanting a rolex and settling for a Timex.

Why is Saban's interest in him weird? He's highly regarded by a lot of GM's. Whoever his agent is should be fired immediately. He was set to go on the freeagent market and get a bigger deal AND a shot at starting elsewhere before this deal. Im not saying this guy is the next great Qb but people around the league like him a lot and he would have been sought after in freeagency. Saban was looking into all his options, means he smart. Why anyone thinks this is weird is mystifying to me, its his job to have Plan A,B,C, etc ,etc, just covering all angles. Smart not strange.

fishypete said:
I wouldn't doubt he picks a QB....BUT not early. If your sold on either Rodgers or Smith....you don't go to E-bay to check out a bargain, first. Thats like wanting a rolex and settling for a Timex.

That's contingent on your insistance that he's a bargain quality QB. Saban could very well see a QB just as talented as Smith or Rodgers with a bargain basement price of a second day pick.

You label him bargain quality, but I don't think you speak for Saban.

finfansince72 said:
Why is Saban's interest in him weird? He's highly regarded by a lot of GM's. Whoever his agent is should be fired immediately. He was set to go on the freeagent market and get a bigger deal AND a shot at starting elsewhere before this deal. Im not saying this guy is the next great Qb but people around the league like him a lot and he would have been sought after in freeagency. Saban was looking into all his options, means he smart. Why anyone thinks this is weird is mystifying to me, its his job to have Plan A,B,C, etc ,etc, just covering all angles. Smart not strange.

Agreed... It doesn't really mean that he would have been plan A. Perhaps Saban rates him higher than someone like Frye or Rodgers in the event that the 49ers take Smith.

finfansince72 said:

We're talking about another 2nd string QB here....we already have at least two on the roster...and on one hand he's talking up both QB's in the draft...and looking behind doors for another...and you don't find that strange....just alittle?
Let me blunt...if I was Rodgers or Smith....I wouldn't be looking to move to south Florida....cause if Saban really thought that either of them were starting material....he wouldn't be wasting his time on another 2nd string QB.

O.K. Lets make this more interesting....look at the teams looking to trade for Garrard;

Buccaneers | Expressed Interest in Jaguars' Garrard
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:27:35 -0700

Vic Ketchman, of Jaguars.com, reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers expressed an interest in trading for Jacksonville Jaguars QB David Garrard prior to Garrard signing a new three-year deal to remain in Jacksonville. The Jaguars' asking price of a first-round pick in exchange for the quarterback was believed to be too steep.

49ers | Expressed Interest in Jaguars' Garrard
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:26:58 -0700

Vic Ketchman, of Jaguars.com, reports the San Francisco 49ers expressed an interest in trading for Jacksonville Jaguars QB David Garrard prior to Garrard signing a new three-year deal to remain in Jacksonville. The Jaguars' asking price of a first-round pick in exchange for the quarterback was believed to be too steep.

Dolphins | Expressed Interest in Jaguars' Garrard
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:26:20 -0700

Vic Ketchman, of Jaguars.com, reports the Miami Dolphins expressed an interest in trading for Jacksonville Jaguars QB David Garrard prior to Garrard signing a new three-year deal to remain in Jacksonville. The Jaguars' asking price of a first-round pick in exchange for the quarterback was believed to be too steep.

Packers | Expressed Interest in Jaguars' Garrard
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:25:35 -0700

Vic Ketchman, of Jaguars.com, reports the Green Bay Packers expressed an interest in trading for Jacksonville Jaguars QB David Garrard prior to Garrard signing a new three-year deal to remain in Jacksonville. The Jaguars' asking price of a first-round pick in exchange for the quarterback was believed to be too steep.

Lions | Expressed Interest in Jaguars' Garrard
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:24:57 -0700

Vic Ketchman, of Jaguars.com, reports the Detroit Lions expressed an interest in trading for Jacksonville Jaguars QB David Garrard prior to Garrard signing a new three-year deal to remain in Jacksonville. The Jaguars' asking price of a first-round pick in exchange for the quarterback was believed to be too steep.

Browns | Expressed Interest in Jaguars' Garrard
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:24:16 -0700

Vic Ketchman, of Jaguars.com, reports the Cleveland Browns expressed an interest in trading for Jacksonville Jaguars QB David Garrard prior to Garrard signing a new three-year deal to remain in Jacksonville. The Jaguars' asking price of a first-round pick in exchange for the quarterback was believed to be too steep.

Bears | Expressed Interest in Jaguars' Garrard
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:17:11 -0700

Vic Ketchman, of Jaguars.com, reports the Chicago Bears expressed an interest in trading for Jacksonville Jaguars QB David Garrard prior to Garrard signing a new three-year deal to remain in Jacksonville. The Jaguars' asking price of a first-round pick in exchange for the quarterback was believed to be too steep.

Every top team looked into trading for Garrard....every team that has a chance for either Rodgers or Smith....you have to love it. And Washington wants Campbell.

It's not wierd or stupid. It is absolutely the smartest thing he could have done.

First off, Saban has to expect that Smith does not fall to them at #2. So he has to have a plan B. If Smith falls to him then it doesn't matter.

Teams thinking he is looking for a QB don't matter. GB, Cleveland. Who cares.

The teams this effects are the teams like Wash., SD, Minny, Bucs who all want Edwards!!

It now also reinforces his stance that He will take Edwards if Smith doesn't fall to #2.

GRYPHONK said:
It's not wierd or stupid. It is absolutely the smartest thing he could have done.

First off, Saban has to expect that Smith does not fall to them at #2. So he has to have a plan B. If Smith falls to him then it doesn't matter.

Teams thinking he is looking for a QB don't matter. GB, Cleveland. Who cares.

The teams this effects are the teams like Wash., SD, Minny, Bucs who all want Edwards!!

It now also reinforces his stance that He will take Edwards if Smith doesn't fall to #2.

What it reinforces is...he really doesn't want either Rodgers or Smith. He has the second pick in the draft...he doesn't have to look into cracks..for 2nd stringers...all he has to do is wait for either Smith or Rodgers to fall to him.
Looking at a 2nd stringer isn't a plan B....it's a plan A....if he had the chance to trade for Garrard....it wouldn't have matter if either of them was there at the 2nd pick....he would have already had traded for Garrard. And it appears that the top teams are all thinking the same way.

fishypete said:
What it reinforces is...he really doesn't want either Rodgers or Smith. He has the second pick in the draft...he doesn't have to look into cracks..for 2nd stringers...all he has to do is wait for either Smith or Rodgers to fall to him.
Looking at a 2nd stringer isn't a plan B....it's a plan A....if he had the chance to trade for Garrard....it wouldn't have matter if either of them was there at the 2nd pick....he would have already had traded for Garrard. And it appears that the top teams are all thinking the same way.

Well, u see it differently then I do.

It's simple. Look how quickly you are jumping on this saying that this enforces Saban not wanting a QB. Well if I am a team wanting a WR trust me that will show to them as well that he doesn't want a QB and has already STATED that a RB at #2 is not a good value that he will take BPA in Edwards.

Also other point he played the wanting a QB card what did it get him. A possible TB trade up. He then plays the Edwards carD. Surprise surprise, Washington, Minnesoat and atleast one either team has expressed interest in trading up. Him expressing an interest in a backup QB one reinforces the thinking of taking a WR.

I don't see why it is so hard to understand. You aren't the only one obviously stating that Saban appearant;y doesn't want either QB so other posters and possibly GM'S might feel the same.

It will either be Smith at #2 or a trade down.

Listen I am not saying it is a definite that Saban doesn't have trust in one of the QB'S. He very well might have preferred Garrard over either of the top 2. But every thing he has done so far with Ricky Williams, to Smith to Brown to BPA HAS ALL BEEN posturing and smokescreens. Who's to say this is any different.

If you wanna believe anything believe the very first thing he was quoted as saying when asked what a team needs to be succesful. He stated you need a very good QB. Not RB or WR but you need a great QB. Do you think he sees Garrard as a great QB.

One more thing. Of course some of the top teams are looking at other QBS.

Cleveland
MIami
TB
49ERS

What do they all have in common? QB isn't their only need. So if they can trade a later pick plus get a premiere player in the 1st of course they would trade for a QB they think is good.

When you have all these holes to fill you try to fill them all the best way you can.

I believe Saban has made it clear that he wants to improve the Qb situation, whether this is with the #2 pick or with a later round pick he is probaly going to take someone. He just checked in to see if he could get Garrard for a later round pick. He probaly likes this guy more than a lot of the later round talent. Doesnt mean he wouldnt take Smith or that Feeley is a goner, just means he wants to improve our talent. Feeley/Frerotte/Rosenfels is one of the worst Qb combinations in football. A rookie should be added to that mix to improve the future prospects of this bunch. Feeley is an unknown and Frerotte is a career backup with no where to go but down, not bringing in young talent is just stupid. Saban isnt content going into the season with another Fiedler/Lucas combo and I for one am thankful. He understands we need more talent there, Thank God.

Back
Top Bottom