Homegrown O-Line on the Horizon? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Homegrown O-Line on the Horizon?

andyahs

Bahamian Redneck
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
The Miami Dolphins are hoping their recent draft investments will pay off with something that hasn't happened in more than 25 years

This new regime in charge of the Miami Dolphins has been serious about trying to find a long-term solution for the offensive line.

The proof comes in the fact that since Chris Grier and Brian Flores has served as GM/coach combo in 2019, the Dolphins have spent seven draft picks on offensive linemen, including four in the first three rounds.

And a few weeks ahead of the start of training camp, we're looking at the possibility of the Dolphins doing something they haven't done in more than a quarter of a century: start an offensive line made up entirely of their draft picks.

There will be battles in training camp for starting jobs along that Dolphins offensive line, but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that Miami could go into its opener at New England on Sept. 12 with a starting line of Austin Jackson and rookie Liam Eichenberg at tackle, Solomon Kindley and Robert Hunt at guard, and Michael Deiter at center.

All of them were drafted by the Dolphins, all of them over the past three drafts.

Deiter was a third-round pick in 2019; Jackson, Hunt and Kindley were taken in Rounds 1, 2 and 4 in 2020; and Eichenberg was a second-round selection a little less than two months ago.

Besides them, the Dolphins also drafted tackle Isaiah Prince in Round 6 in 2019 and tackle Larnel Coleman in Round 7 this year.

Having nothing but your own draft picks on an offensive line is rare indeed. The Dolphins last played a game like that in 1995 with a line consisting of Richmond Webb, Keith Sims, Tim Ruddy, Andrew Greene and Billy Milner.

The Dolphins' best offensive line over the past 20 years undoubtedly was that of 2016 that features Branden Albert, Laremy Tunsil, Mike Pouncey, Jermon Bushrod and Ja'Wuan James. Tunsil, Pouncey and James were Dolphins draft picks, but Albert and Bushrod were veterans who had been brought from Kansas City and New Orleans, respectively.

That line, while very long, wasn't build to last.

That's the hope now with all the recent draft picks, whether or not they all end up in the starting lineup.

I'd be very surprised (and disappointed) if Deiter is the starting centre this year. The gig is Skura's to lose. Aside from his case of the yips last year, he's been a very good pro. If he can return to form, it would be nice to have a veteran presence in the middle of the o-line to anchor it.

Jackson - Kindley - Skura - Hunt - Eichenberg

I'd be very surprised (and disappointed) if Deiter is the starting centre this year. The gig is Skura's to lose. Aside from his case of the yips last year, he's been a very good pro. If he can return to form, it would be nice to have a veteran presence in the middle of the o-line to anchor it.

Why would you, necessarily, be disappointed?

It's possible that Dieter has developed into a solid center. Why would that be a bad thing?

I don't think any Oline position is one to lose. I really believe this year in TC you will see a battle for every position and the guys winning it.

Your opinion on this makes no sense. If Flores deems him the starter then he’s grown tremendously and that’s a good thing for us. I root for the unis not the individuals, I suggest you jump on board and do the same

Your opinion on this makes no sense. If Flores deems him the starter then he’s grown tremendously and that’s a good thing for us. I root for the unis not the individuals, I suggest you jump on board and do the same
i'm thinking he meant that if Deiter wins the starting Center spot, Skura did not return to being 2019 Skura (and that would be a disappointment).

if Deiter fairly beats out 2019 Skura, I am ecstatic.

If Deiter wins the job because Skura is a shadow of his former self, yay for Deiter, but not as good as getting 2019 Skura (or Deiter beating out 2019 Skura).

even an extremely improved and excellent Deiter would have a difficult task beating out 2019-level Skura.

Why would you, necessarily, be disappointed?

It's possible that Dieter has developed into a solid center. Why would that be a bad thing?
I chose my words poorly. If Deiter has significantly developed and blows everyone away in camp and wins the job, then good for him. I trust the coaching staff to field the best line possible come Week 1. And I trust there will be an open competition. Flo has been consistent on that: everyone has to earn their roles.

I just think the importance of having a veteran presence in the centre of the o-line, especially considering the fact we'll likely be starting a rookie and three sophomores in the other spots, cannot be overstated. And I think aside from the yips last year, Skura has shown himself to a good starting centre in the NFL and is a proven commodity.

IMO this is the right approach. I believe that your best chance at having a good OL over an extended time period is when you let them grow up together. That means you need stability in the organization so the style doesn't change every year. And it means letting younger players develop. They don't all have to be draft picks, but they have to be young enough to be around long enough to mesh. And you need to have more than 5 so that when injuries inevitably occur you can plug in another guy who has been training in the same system for a couple of years. So that probably means you don't spend the bulk of your cap on one or two lineman.

This approach takes patience which most fans lack. It takes faith in teaching and developing young players which most fans also lack. Too many fans seem to think this approach means you don't care about the OL. IMO it's the opposite. It means you care enough about the OL to build it over time and give your team the greatest chance of success.

i'm thinking he meant that if Deiter wins the starting Center spot, Skura did not return to being 2019 Skura (and that would be a disappointment).

If Deiter wins the job because Skura is a shadow of his former self, yay for Deiter, but not as good as getting 2019 Skura (or Deiter beating out 2019 Skura).

even an extremely improved and excellent Deiter would have a difficult task beating out 2019-level Skura.
Exactly this. You said it better than me

Great point. I think it will be a good competition, but Skura should win if we see the 2019 version.

Homegrown also equals draft capital invested.

We've invested a LOT into the OL. It needs to produce!

Back
Top Bottom