Honest concern that demands an answer! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Honest concern that demands an answer!

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
If you listen to Kiper or most any other draft analyst, they would tell you that the fins will be drafting Andrews w/ their 20th pick. From what I hear, the guy is supposed to be the best RT in the draft. Here is my concern: Why would we draft a RT when we gave a big contract to McIntosh and we sign St. Claire? With Wade Smith supposedly on the up and up and looking like our LT of the future we couldn't move somebody to his spot. Also, McIntosh may be ready to play by week 6 or after our bye. In my opinion, we'd have too many OT and not enough guards unless we're planning to move one of these guys to guard. I prefer trading out of the pick, pick up an extra pick or two and then pick up a G later in the draft.

If it came down to playing the five best guys and Andrews can or has to play guard so be it. Depth is depth. The more versitile the guy is the better.

No

Andrews can play at guard.

plus... St Clair is trash, and McIntosh has massiv question.

Originally posted by finsnchips
No

Andrews can play at guard.

plus... St Clair is trash, and McIntosh has massiv question.

Have you seen John St. Clair play? How can you say he is "trash"?

Also McIntosh did not sign a big contract, it was heavily backloaded with a small signing bonus. I wouldn't count on him at all this year.

St. Claire can fill in anywhere, even center that is a huge plus for him. Mcintosh was a low risk signing if h's hurt or stinks we can cut him w/o a big cap hit. Andrews is a chance to get a real stud RT or RG.

"Have you seen John St. Clair play? How can you say he is "trash"?"

St Clair sucked at tackle. However, he was an excellent college Center and could be very useful there.

Originally posted by LIQUID24
Also McIntosh did not sign a big contract, it was heavily backloaded with a small signing bonus. I wouldn't count on him at all this year.

Exactly. He was given a very tiny signing bonus and his cap hit this year is backup money...$585,000.

We need to continue to add more quality players and on gameday lineup the best lineman the draft and money can buy.

Wasn't St. Claire the RT for the Rams, when the Rams went to the SB? He can't be that bad. Tough transition college Center to NFL Tackle. They traded for Turley that'd put most of the league's RT on the bench.

Because we gutted our team of experienced OL after 2003 season. We now have these guys, McI, St. Clair. We will draft another T, hopefully Andrews....McI won't be back until mid season so will probably end up being a swing backup tackle this year. He was also pretty cheap for this year as tackles go. St. Clair has had problems at the T position and I think the fins see him as a backup G or C. (He was an all amer center in college and is more comfortable inside). Our line, right now and assuming we draft Andrews would probably look like this: LT - Smith, LG - James, C - McKinney, RG - ST. Clair, RT - Andrews. With Whitley, Jerman, McI (when healthy), a vet that they will add after the draft (Perrry or Ruddy have been named), and probalbly a later round draftee left tackle. The only rookie starting will be Andrews, but he figures to be one that can. We would have a young line with James being the oldest at 27, but Smith, McK, St. Clair, James, McI have all started in the league. Also, St. Clair and McI are tweener tackles....Andrews is a pure tackle, although has played inside. A tackle has to be more athletic and versatile than a guard. That is why a guy like Smiley, who is a pure guard and has all the physical tools to be a great guard will probably be a late 1st or upper 2nd even tho he probably is better at his position than Andrews is at his...Hope this helps explain what you asked...( of course this is my opinion and others may disagree....This is my reasoning for liking what RS has done with the OL so far)...

We need quality up and down the offensive line. Right now, with a few exceptions, we pretty much have warm bodies. Nabbing Andrews would foster competition and strengthen the line as a whole.

Also, as has been pointed out, we didn't dump a lot of money on St. Clair or McIntosh.

Short answer is that we still need a swing T. If Andrews plays T then Mcintosh becomes the swing and St. Clair backs up everyone or plays G. We didn't spend much on Mac. And finally, Andrews if available would probably be the BPA.

Why would we draft a RT when we gave a big contract to McIntosh and we sign St. Claire?

Because that "big contract" we gave to McIntosh wasn't as big as you think. People look at the $23 million mark. I say you almost never pay attention to total amount of money in a contract. You pay attention to the signing bonus. It is the clearest indicator of the team's commitment to the player, and how valuable they view him.

I believe McIntosh's signing bonus was only $300k. In other words, back before they knew anything about his ankle problem (which he was hiding from us) yeah we were going to sign him with the idea that doing so covers out RT position for years to come...therefore no Andrews.

But then the ankle problem showed up. And so we gave him a $300k bonus. We could cut him in training camp and suffer basically no consequences on the cap next year (I would say this year too but I dont know what the stipulations are on injury settlements when its an injury that the guy had before he signed with us).

This is something I think Boomer keeps making the mistake of not paying much attention to in his write-ups. We only went on to sign a contract with McIntosh after finding out about the ankle problem for 2 reasons. One, is that it would have been another of a fair string of embarrassments because we signed the original contract BEFORE the actual physical results and requests for information were all in...we would have probably had an arbitration case on our hands between McIntosh's agent and the team, and overall it would have looked very bad in the wake of the Marino snafu. Signing him to a contract anyway basically shut McIntosh and his agent up about the whole jumping the gun issue.

The 2nd reason we did it is just as an insurance policy in case we do not manage to get a guy in the draft, or as an outright shot in the dark. You roll the dice enough, and you'll eventually pull in the lucky 7. McIntosh at the reduced signing bonus represented an opportunity for the front office to toss the dice, and if they get a good toss then wow what a great move, and if they come up snake eyes, then big deal they didn't give up much. Very similar to what they did with David Boston.

In fact, here's what I'm thinking on this one:

John Tait signed the offer sheet with the Bears on March 5th.

Immediately the Dolphins play host to tackles Orlando Brown and Damion McIntosh on March 6th.

Dolphins reached an agreement with McIntosh sometime around March 7th and 8th.

Dolphins got late word from the Raiders about McIntosh's ankle on March 8th.

March 9th Spielman is refuting the SD Times report that the Dolphins and Chargers are in trade discussions about David Boston. From that

Coincidence? You know I honestly would not be surprised if IMMEDIATELY after finding out about McIntosh's ankle, the phins called San Diego to find out if they knew about it, find out the extent of it etc, and in that conversation I bet is when David Boston's name got brought up for the first time.

What I think happened is our first round draft strategy changed basically the day we found out McIntosh has an ankle injury that he'll be rehabbing for 4 to 6 months...and this is why we went for a bigtime receiver like David Boston. We would have gone for a first round WR, but instead after losing out on Tait, then McIntosh in succession, we changed our strategy from trying to go WR to trying to go for Shawn Andrews or Vernon Carey.

After that we went on a rampage signing and looking at insurance policies in case Andrews doesnt fall or he's not able to perform as a rookie, in the form of G/T types like Bobbie Williams, John St. Clair, Greg Randall, and most recently Solomon Page. Damion McIntosh I feel belongs in that category. He's an insurance policy shot in the dark roll of the dice that we are not counting on.

And this is why most draftniks have us itching to get Andrews.

Originally posted by rafael
Short answer is that we still need a swing T. If Andrews plays T then Mcintosh becomes the swing and St. Clair backs up everyone or plays G. We didn't spend much on Mac. And finally, Andrews if available would probably be the BPA.

yeah i think people have totally forgotten about a backup LT incase Smith goes down. i would think that if andrews is the guy and can play backup LT he would switch if smith gets injured and stl clair takes RT. finding our RG will not be a problem any way you slice it cus we have Yates and whitley who will be ready to step up.

Back
Top Bottom