Honest Opinion on Tannenhill?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Honest Opinion on Tannenhill??

Crzynick25

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
I never seen the guy play nor have I heard of him before the draft talk started. But what i have been hearing recently varies so much from person to person that im trying to get an honest assessment on the guy. Some people are begging to draft this guy at #8 and today that the browns might even be looking for him at #4. Other stories I hear is that he has very limited starts at QB and that most of his college career was at WR, and that he is a project player that should be drafted no higher than the 3rd round.

So my question is which is it? The two sides are so far apart, one side says he should go in the top 10 maybe even top 5, while the other side says no higher than 3rd round. I am just trying to grasp how the opinions on this guy are so vastly different

I never seen the guy play nor have I heard of him before the draft talk started. But what i have been hearing recently varies so much from person to person that im trying to get an honest assessment on the guy. Some people are begging to draft this guy at #8 and today that the browns might even be looking for him at #4. Other stories I hear is that he has very limited starts at QB and that most of his college career was at WR, and that he is a project player that should be drafted no higher than the 3rd round.

So my question is which is it? The two sides are so far apart, one side says he should go in the top 10 maybe even top 5, while the other side says no higher than 3rd round. I am just trying to grasp how the opinions on this guy are so vastly different

From what I've seen of Tannehill I just don't get what all the fuss is about. Good size. quick, pretty good arm, intelligent- all good qualities but he just doesn't impress me all that much in games. Said it before, I'll say it again- Brandon Weeden is significantly better than Ryan Tannehill.

From what I've seen of Tannehill I just don't get what all the fuss is about. Good size. quick, pretty good arm, intelligent- all good qualities but he just doesn't impress me all that much in games. Said it before, I'll say it again- Brandon Weeden is significantly better than Ryan Tannehill.
Weeden is certainly better right now...and I would probably prefer him because I think we could get him in a trade down. Im not as big of critic on age as some, but it does need to be considered. Tannehill only recently started playing QB and still has a lot to learn. He has all the tools...so the question becomes will he develop to be better than Weeden in a few years and still have him for longer? With all that said..Tannehill is a solid prospect who will get pushed into be overdrafted because of his position. Id prefer Weeden...but I would be happy with Tannehill as well.

We (LSU) played him twice and while he does have a great arm and is very mobile, his stats all came at the expense of the cupcakes on TA&Ms schedule. In their 4 big games, he was a turnover machine. He was only the QB by default due to an injury to Jerrod Johnson, whom Tannehill was unable to beat out for the Qb spot over a 3 year period. Yes he has some tools but he is not worth a pick in the Top 10 of this draft. If we can trade back and take him late 1st round I wouldnt complain, but anything higher than that and we are seriously overreaching. Just my opinion....

I think Tannehill is more valuable to the dolphins than any other team. He knows the system that will b installed and our OC was his head coach for 4 years. Sherman knows him better than anyone. We need to draft him.

I think Tannehill is more valuable to the dolphins than any other team. He knows the system that will b installed and our OC was his head coach for 4 years. Sherman knows him better than anyone. We need to draft him.

Yep, I agree hopefully the Browns don't draft him at 4 ?

We (LSU) played him twice and while he does have a great arm and is very mobile, his stats all came at the expense of the cupcakes on TA&Ms schedule. In their 4 big games, he was a turnover machine. He was only the QB by default due to an injury to Jerrod Johnson, whom Tannehill was unable to beat out for the Qb spot over a 3 year period. Yes he has some tools but he is not worth a pick in the Top 10 of this draft. If we can trade back and take him late 1st round I wouldnt complain, but anything higher than that and we are seriously overreaching. Just my opinion....

Now that you mention it I was wondering if since his coach was hesitant to start him for A&M maybe he would be hesitant to start him for the Dolphins and they are really after Weeden. It seems like a lot of assuming that since the Dolphins know him they want him, like Flynn.

If I had to do it all again I'd still take Weeden over Tannehill. To me, clearly, Weeden had more potential than RT. Excellent athlete, one of the best arms I've seen to this day, looked like he had it all except for his age/time lost to baseball. Similar to Drew Henson in that regard. I was a big fan of John Beck coming out of BYU as well- sometimes these QBs make it, sometimes they don't. Beck had that horrid Bengals game and the coaches tried to change his throwing motion, which to me is screwed up. Weeden- I don't know, mentally and physically he certainly seemed to have the right stuff for a great albeit shortened pro career. Tannehill- then, as now, he just seemed average, nothing to write home abut, just a guy. And about 7 years later he seems the same- no real mojo or pocket presence but serviceable. Dave Hyde and other writers hopped on board with a theme that I've agreed with for several years- Tannehill is good enough to help keep your team average, head above water, not much more than that. Better to suck for a while and try to become great imo, and Tannehill isn't likely to take you there- he's a caretaker QB, not a game winner. Jimmy Johnson: "The biggest enemy of great is good." Or in Tannehill's case, average.

If I had to do it all again I'd still take Weeden over Tannehill. To me, clearly, Weeden had more potential than RT. Excellent athlete, one of the best arms I've seen to this day, looked like he had it all except for his age/time lost to baseball.

I feel the same. If all that was asked of Weeden was to operate a dink and dunk offense and an occasional deep ball, I'm sure he would've accomplished more than Tannehill.

Back
Top Bottom