hoops scoops...potential #19 pick lb ryan shazier tale of the tape... | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...potential #19 pick lb ryan shazier tale of the tape...

not sure why anyone would have questioned kuechlys run read and dx...his instincts were off the charts...only question there was his long speed which he soundly put to rest when he ran at the combine and validated a top 10 pick

i don't have a problem with the 3 years out of high school and new to lb so it may be a just needs time on the read and dx but i just know that i'm not taking the chance if im miami under our current circumstances...if i'm miami i cant afford another lb that doesnt get it even for one year...too many of those guys who will never get it already

if you think he will develop it then i see the value sure...too much of a projection for me though

Anyone know what weight this guy played at during the season? I know he measured 237lbs at the combine, but that seems much heavier than what he actually played at during the season.

sounds like the same stuff I heard when we signed Wheeler......we need a playmaker, he's fast, immediate upgrade to our "consistent but never playmaking LB's" in burnnett and dansby.....and we thought Ellerbe would play the middle I guess?,,,,and now it looks like neither lived up to their contracts and we downgraded immensely....and now people are defending another 1st round pick on a "playmaking LB"....don't give me a playmaking LB, give me a bookend, wall of stone, tackling machine, who knows the game of football like Beethoven knew a piano. The only turnovers/plays made by my LB in the middle I want to come from instinctual prowess and advantageous positioning pre and post snap....not some athlete who's lucky to be in front of a play. Not trying to bash either candidate but Mosely is by far my choice of the 2.

I can't list name 5 people on this site who liked the Wheeler signing - can you????

Anyone know what weight this guy played at during the season? I know he measured 237lbs at the combine, but that seems much heavier than what he actually played at during the season.

yeah 225 is everything i have seen and thats as heavy as i can believe no doubt 237 will help him in the pros if he can maintain it...

A great character with incredible physical tangibles that made a ton of plays in college but doesn't have as polished positional instincts as older and more experienced players? Sound familiar?
CK - How do you rate Shazier versus XSF versus WR playmakers like Lee and Cooks?
I think that this is the sort of comparative evaluation that Hickey may be grappling with. Do you play it safe or do you identify potential to develop?

Actually Borland ran a 4.73 at his pro day while the best ever 40 I can find on Zach is 4.78. It WAS a different time back then with TEs being much slower but Borland is about the same speed as Zach. The part that I find so interesting is everyone is always talking about how slow Borland is at 248 lbs, but he ran very close to the same speed Mosley ran at 234 lbs. I DO know this, I would rather spend a 3rd (if he is still there) on Borland, than a 1st on Mosley. But I would jump for joy if we ended up with Shazier. He is gonna be a beast.

Borland ran a 4.81 at the combine and that being straight line speed, i don't see him playing on 3rd down, and yes Thomas was a technician and was often ahead of the Offense. I am not drafting for need at #19 but our LBs could all be improved that's for sure.... If I am the opponent and I game plan against MIAMI I am trying to make that LB core stop me

Thomas piled up the tackles and I love the guy but seriously ZT was crouched waiting for guys a second agead and syill got his jock strap juked off him and other times he was dragged like a rag doll by Thurman Thomas...

For me Borland is a nice player a true Football player but for me a later draft pick - I wouldn't rely on him as a starter

I don't even consider this kid a 1st rnd player.

How many undersized linebackers make it in the NFL at a very productive level? Almost none...

I still don't even see what he does so well to warrant him being a 1st rnd pick. All I hear is about his athletism, Nothing about his linebacker skills. And his athletism when you consider he's undersized is a lot less impressive.

Tell me again how he is "undersized" next to Mosely???

The only thing I noticed about Kuechly in college was he tended to absorb straight ahead encounters in the running game instead of enforcing himself and ramming the runner backwards. There wasn't any question about the instincts to diagnose the run.

With his frame and attitude I thought that tendency would fix itself, and it has. I posted that I would pick him at #8. The season finale here against the Canes was such an eye opener I still can envision all the fantastic plays Kuechly made. Darn shame someone like that wasn't available last year. IMO we traded up for a lesser defender than Kuechly. Certainly much more of a guess. I don't mind a bit of a guess at 19 or lower but packaging 12 and 42 shouldn't accompany a guess.

Well friends if we go LB in the early rds and don't get Mosely -> Borland isn't getting off the field when the Pats and Broncos choose to roll over us with the Hurry-Up Offence - just saying...

Tell me again how he is "undersized" next to Mosely???

First off, where do you see me mention mosley in that post?

Second off, there is no doubt Shazier's "official weight" and his game weight are not the same, the guy is clearly in his 220s in on game day. Look how skinny his legs are.

CK - How do you rate Shazier versus XSF versus WR playmakers like Lee and Cooks?
I think that this is the sort of comparative evaluation that Hickey may be grappling with. Do you play it safe or do you identify potential to develop?

I have him pretty firmly over XSF and Marqise Lee. Brandin Cooks is a little tougher choice. Between the two I think Shazier might be a little more uncommon, has a little more going in his favor.

Really I would prefer to trade up for an elite talent or to trade down to match up the board with needs a little better, monetizing the difference.

First off, where do you see me mention mosley in that post?

Fair enough no you didn't, i think you got the point though

Second off, there is no doubt Shazier's "official weight" and his game weight are not the same, the guy is clearly in his 220s in on game day. Look how skinny his legs are.

I will leave it to the professionals to tell me whether he can carry north of 237 lbs

How heavy was he when he ran 4.4 at his pro day is (I think) what matters

Are you not relying on older pictures?

How heavy was he when he ran 4.4 at his pro day is (I think) what matters

Are you not relying on older pictures?

Its pretty common for combine weight and actual game weight to differ, you have to remember these players agents spend bug $ to prepare them for the combine, and that's all they focus on for a good amount of time before the draft.

That weight disappears once training camp and the season really gets going. We've seen this story with so many pass rushing busts over the years. Look small in college, bulk up, shoot up draft boards, never hear about them ever again.

I think shazier is right up that ally. I'd put him in the low 220s on game day.

Drafting a 220s, 2 down linebacker with low level football instincts, and doesn't offer much in coverage? I mean, I'm trying to like the guy. But every time I watch tape all I see is his skinny legs. And quite frankly, he's takes bad angles and gets pushed back quite often.

I see the upside though, I just don't pay much attention to upside when it comes in a small package. If you want upside draft Hageman.

Back
Top Bottom