hoops scoops...round 3 disaster... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...round 3 disaster...

Wait they picked Thomas to play ****ing LT?

When they picked him I said "Wow, that's a good pick. Move him to RG. Kick Jerry to RT. That's a decent Line"

BUT LEFT TACKLE? No way. You put Martin at LT.

Hate the Will pick. Love the Jabar pick.

Hey Hoops I am looking at 3 guides CBS, GBN and Lindy's. Now GBN had Davis ranked way down, Dallas within a few spots of where we took him, CBS was better on Davis 5th round grade, and Dallas about where we took him but Lindy's which I assume does their stuff early had Davis ranked as a 3 rd round prospect and Dallas as a 2nd rounder. Now what gives with a Lindy's for example in your opinion. Like reading yours, CKs and Ted Slims opinion.
By the way based on the trade charts our first trade in the first round we were plus 510 points, Bess trade we got 35 point or a 5th round pick, lost 22 points in our trade down out of the 3rd round and gained 17 points to trade back into the 3rd FYI for what it's worth

i'll give you the dallas pick...it was a slight reach to me but whatever...my main issue with that is we didn't get more athletic up front at all...i took will davis completely off my board after what i saw senior bowl week...and watch his tape...there's nothing high end burst athlete to be found there...if you have the senior bowl week stuff still like i do take a look for yourself...it was really bad...doesn't fire out of his pedal slow in his transition...i mean people say project well in this league 3rd rounders are suppose to help you in year 1...not sit...or take up a roster spot they don't earn...

i'm not a fan...no amount of heat from anyone here is gonna change that for me

Wait they picked Thomas to play ****ing LT?

When they picked him I said "Wow, that's a good pick. Move him to RG. Kick Jerry to RT. That's a decent Line"

BUT LEFT TACKLE? No way. You put Martin at LT.

Hate the Will pick. Love the Jabar pick.

I thought someone earlier posted that Philbin said they drafted Thomas to play left guard, not tackle.

if denard robinson is chosen to replace bess in the slot tomorrow i'm turning the tv off....not watching any more of it...ha ha

I can absolutely see it. And if they want him they will take him with one of our two early 4ths (unless we trade back again) because he won't make it to our late 5s IMO. Honestly a 4th or 5th on him isn't terrible if we realize he isn't a plug a play. But it will piss me off if we take him with Swope or Patton still on the board.

i mean people say project well in this league 3rd rounders are suppose to help you in year 1...not sit...
Take a look back through the past several drafts and the percentage of third-round players for whom that was the case.

That's what I'd like to believe, that Ireland went on tilt. If we had nabbed Armstead, everything else would have felt like a free roll. Instead, it seemed like the familiar scattergun approach kicked in. I've seen enough of Dallas Thomas to know he can't play left tackle successfully.

I'm not familiar with Will Davis and my tape of the Senior Bowl was lost three weeks ago when I had to change DVRs. I had hoped the draft gurus would provide a favorable report but apparently that's not the case.

My opinion, as stated several times within the past week, is we shouldn't be picking in these rounds. Too much chance of something like this. I'd have packaged our resources to move into the top 25 or 40. Depth is a myth. It's a damn parlay. You have to spot somebody special and avoid all the land mines. How is that likely? In the top 30 or 40 picks you don't have to rely on a parlay. It's straight forward. There are more premier players available than picks have been made. Spend your goodies to move into those slots. I'd do it every year, like the Vikings yesterday, and more or less chuckle while everyone else scrambled to decipher the middle rounds.

Now, the draft gurus won't agree to something like that. They'll believe they can uncover gems at every pick. I'd assert it would not happen in real time, under pressure and with all the variables in play, things that Ireland has to deal with, like multiple opinions within his inner circle, and teams calling about trades, etc. It's hardly as pristine and uncomplicated as we'd like to believe.

no argument from me...they can't be serious about dallas thomas at left tackle...i mean with those feet??? jon martins got better feet than that...albeit not much better

i'll give you the dallas pick...it was a slight reach to me but whatever...my main issue with that is we didn't get more athletic up front at all...i took will davis completely off my board after what i saw senior bowl week...and watch his tape...there's nothing high end burst athlete to be found there...if you have the senior bowl week stuff still like i do take a look for yourself...it was really bad...doesn't fire out of his pedal slow in his transition...i mean people say project well in this league 3rd rounders are suppose to help you in year 1...not sit...or take up a roster spot they don't earn...

i'm not a fan...no amount of heat from anyone here is gonna change that for me

You do know that Davis was third team all american and first in the nation with an 1.75 PB average per a game. Highly athletic (leader in the 3 cone drill) and intelligent (all academic team) just needs coaching. I had him as an early 4th and so did several other publications. Chill out.

I thought someone earlier posted that Philbin said they drafted Thomas to play left guard, not tackle.

He said left side. I find it hard to believe he was drafted to play tackle. I think they want him at LG. Just speculation on my part based on Philbin's comment.

I agree with you somewhat but I'd take the professionals views over anyone else. That's just me. I enjoy reading mostly everyone's views on this site and I think they add great value to the boards.

The implication is that a professional is superior to anyone else and for most careers thats correct but not in this one. Football is football and although they may have access to more game film and are able to directly talk to the prospects I'm sure there are a ton of guys out there that understand football just as well and have a better feel for how players are going to work out. It's not like becoming a doctor where you have to go through tons of years of school to become one. With scouting some people just have natural ability to see talent and evaluate their potential. You dont need to be a professional to be great at it.

I honestly think that if CKparrot and hooshoops ran the past 5 drafts this team would more talented players on the roster.

I'd assume a GM knows more than someone who isn't a professional b/c it's their job. Are there GMs that are better than others? Yes. But even the professionals like Kiper, Mayock, Prisco, McShay, etc...they get **** wrong as well.

Whatever happened to waiting 3 years into the future to determine how a draft went?

Yes, because no one has ever gotten a job they were unprepared for and subsequently crashed and burned. The job doesnt bestow upon the person knowledge. There are people out there who would be better suited for another profession then the one they currently have.
Have you ever ranted about a politician? Do you really think they are the most qualified person for their job and its impossible that someone from another profession could do a better job? Of course not, thats why people of all professions jump into elections.

And the "wait 3 years" went the way of sitting a rookie quarterback. We cut Gates after a single season. Should we have waited 2 more years?
Sometimes picks are such an unmitigated disaster that you dont need to wait years to see if they will bust. I know this because ive seen it. From this general manager. Ask Pat White.

hooshoops, just want to say that you're the man. Who would you like the Dolphins to draft with our 4th rounders?

well i would say get a damn left tackle...a bahktiari even though he's a left tackle only maybe...i like dave quesennberry also although he needs to get much stronger and kinda light in the pants...but he's probably more a zone scheme left guard...not sure he can carry anymore good weight...

i would like to see em stop messing around and get a real slot to replace bess...the options are steadily going...get swope before someone trumps you...

Damnit. Well, I've learned by now you're right 97% of the time hoops so I don't like the prospect of this. What do you think of Jamar Taylor?

Good god Ireland better do some good things tomorrow

well i would say get a damn left tackle...a bahktiari even though he's a left tackle only maybe...i like dave quesennberry also although he needs to get much stronger and kinda light in the pants...but he's probably more a zone scheme left guard...not sure he can carry anymore good weight...

i would like to see em stop messing around and get a real slot to replace bess...the options are steadily going...get swope before someone trumps you...

New England picks in front of us in the 4th......

I agree that our third round was awful. Like Taylor and Jordan though. But the rest was awful awful awful. Mind baffling to trade all of those picks for a scrub cb.

All I want now is lattimore.

Back
Top Bottom