Houck to create another miracle? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Houck to create another miracle?

LAphinfan

Captain
Reaction score
Check this out:

June 27, 2005

We hear that Miami offensive line coach Hudson Houck, a 22-year NFL assistant who most recently worked wonders in San Diego by molding a young group of no-names into a playoff-caliber blocking unit, could be on his way to producing a similar transformation with a Dolphins O-line that underachieved and disappointed in 2004. Starting OLG Jeno Jamestold PFW that Houck’s teaching has instilled confidence in the players. “He has a zone scheme that I think is very good,†James said. “He also has a lot of history (guiding 11 linemen to 43 Pro Bowls), so it just feels good to have someone like that leading us.†James added that Houck’s system makes each player learn every position and promotes more awareness and cohesiveness. Word from the Dolphins’ June minicamp is that James, C Seth McKinney, ORG Rex Hadnot and ORT Stockar McDougle appear to have wrapped up starting spots.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC East/Miami/default.htm

Sorry if I didn't post the link correctly. This is my first time creating a thread.

I don't see it as a miracle. I see the question,

Can Houck actually do his job?

Unlike Wise who seemed to not teach technique and to not tell the linemen who they were supposed to block.

I think he will turn the line around...I just don't think he will be able to do it all in his first year. The line will be much improved this year (cant get any worse), but I think '06 is when Houck's magic will really start to show.

Also, how can those players have "wrapped up starting spots" when they havent even practiced with pads yet?

Let's hope most of that article is true. Though I doubt that those mentioned other than James and McDougle have "wrapped up" a starting spot just through mini-camps. First off, Saban made it clear they werent evaluating or creating depth charts based off MC performances, and second its pretty hard to cement a starting roster when you have yet to see them perform in pads, which Houck hasnt.

yankeehillbilly said:
Also, how can those players have "wrapped up starting spots" when they havent even practiced with pads yet?

Beat me to it...:)

MadLib said:
Let's hope most of that article is true. Though I doubt that those mentioned other than James and McDougle have "wrapped up" a starting spot just through mini-camps. First off, Saban made it clear they werent evaluating or creating depth charts based off MC performances, and second its pretty hard to cement a starting roster when you have yet to see them perform in pads, which Houck hasnt.

Whose McKinney really got to face though? Wade Smith isn't going to give him any competition. Smith's got a year to show something at center or he's probably going to end up out of the league.

Hadnot doesn't really have much competition and it's not laughable to believe a 6th rounder can step in and play well. Many OL in this league were day 2 picks. Plus the guy can flat out knock people on thier butts.

Improvements I can see being made include:

-Cohesiveness. By pretty much sewing up all the spots outside of LT now these guys get the snaps they need early.
-Learning every postion. It's sad that in this day and age that this is something new for a Miami OL. It's a good way to build cohesiveness when you understand more of what the guy beside you has to do.
-Zone blocking. Man blocking got Seth McKinney killed (If you got a center who can make the calls and take on a DT solo...sign him to a big contract TODAY). It also got our QB's killed. When the line switched to a simplified zone blocking scheme under Bates they improved significantly (ie: bag of crap to mediocre)
-Great teaching. You don't build a resume like Houck's as a fluke. Those Ram teams were pretty bad but his units were always solid.

VanDolPhan said:
Whose McKinney really got to face though? Wade Smith isn't going to give him any competition. Smith's got a year to show something at center or he's probably going to end up out of the league.

Hadnot doesn't really have much competition and it's not laughable to believe a 6th rounder can step in and play well. Many OL in this league were day 2 picks. Plus the guy can flat out knock people on thier butts.

Improvements I can see being made include:

-Cohesiveness. By pretty much sewing up all the spots outside of LT now these guys get the snaps they need early.
-Learning every postion. It's sad that in this day and age that this is something new for a Miami OL. It's a good way to build cohesiveness when you understand more of what the guy beside you has to do.
-Zone blocking. Man blocking got Seth McKinney killed (If you got a center who can make the calls and take on a DT solo...sign him to a big contract TODAY). It also got our QB's killed. When the line switched to a simplified zone blocking scheme under Bates they improved significantly (ie: bag of crap to mediocre)
-Great teaching. You don't build a resume like Houck's as a fluke. Those Ram teams were pretty bad but his units were always solid.

Yeah but if what they say is true about them learning every position on the line, that means St.Claire is also in competition for the center position. And some feel that he's more suited for center anyways. And as far as the Guard position goes, we all hope Vernon Carey is considered "competition" for the starting RG spot. He better be considering we dropped a first rd pick on him.

MadLib said:
Yeah but if what they say is true about them learning every position on the line, that means St.Claire is also in competition for the center position. And some feel that he's more suited for center anyways. And as far as the Guard position goes, we all hope Vernon Carey is considered "competition" for the starting RG spot. He better be considering we dropped a first rd pick on him.

actually, we gave a 1st AND a 4th round pick for Carey. Remember, Tice bluffed Spielman into moving up 1 spot.

Sounds good, except the Seth McKinney part. I hope Houck can turn him around. That's where the true "miracle" will take place. :rolleyes:

FinaticalOne said:
Sounds good, except the Seth McKinney part. I hope Houck can turn him around. That's where the true "miracle" will take place. :rolleyes:

:lol:

not much else to say about that. mckinney sucked BAD last year.

Back
Top Bottom