Houston's Rookie pool and Drew Henson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Houston's Rookie pool and Drew Henson

CpuFan

Active Roster
Reaction score
I don't necessarily agree with this article but it does raise some interesting points. What was interesting was the the amount of money Houston has left under their rookie cap... $300,000.

I believe they will work it out but only Time will tell. And even if
they don't and he reenters the draft the chances of Miami drafting a quality QB just go up with his addition to the draft

-----------

The following was posted on the GBN Report website...

-----------

Texan’s Gamble on Henson Does Not Pay Off

2/1/04

By: Thomas Cooper

I have read the countless rumors that Houston would trade Henson, but it is my belief that they are wrong. While I think Henson’s value is growing, I think the Texans are handcuffed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Here are the reasons why the Texans cannot trade Henson.

1) If the Texans do not sign Henson to a contract before the NFL draft, then he is eligible to re-enter the 2004 draft.

2) Thirty days after the start of the 2003 NFL season, the Texans lost the opportunity to trade the rights to Henson. They also became the only team Henson could sign with until the 2004 NFL draft. In essence, this creates a sign and trade issue for the Texans, but gives them sole rights. It also means that Henson cannot workout before the NFL draft for another team without the permission of the Houston Texans.

3) The Texans’ 2003 rookie pool allocation was near 5.4 million dollars. The Texans used close to 5.1 million dollars in cap space. That means they have to sign Henson to a deal in the ballpark of $300,000 for his first year cap hit. Even though the 2003 season is over, the rookie allocation should still be in play. If the Texans spent over this amount, it is likely that the NFL owners would argue that the Texans violated the rookie allocation and possibly their salary cap for that season, creating draft pick penalties and fines.

4) With the Texans’ forced to bring Henson in with a first year cap hit under $300,000, one would think that the Texans would offer a creative contract that contained an extension clause or roster bonus, but the Collective Bargaining Agreement has thought of that as well. In the CBA, there are a few clauses that will really handcuff the Texans. First, any roster bonus that is written into a rookie contract is considered a likely to be earned bonus and is immediately treated as a signing bonus. It is then prorated over the life of the contract like a signing bonus and it raises the cap figure in his rookie season. Second, any amount paid by a team in order to exercise an option that would extend or alter the contract of a rookie is considered a signing bonus. Third, no rookie contract can have an increase in its second year that is more than 25% of his first seasons salary. Finally, the contract of a rookie player cannot be renegotiated for a one- (1) year period from the date the contract is signed.

5) Finally, Henson is still under contract to the New York Yankees....

(The rest was deleted as he just got out of his contract.)

With those points made, it is quite evident that Houston must sign Henson to a minimum contract that has a first year cap hit under $300,000. This figure should hold as it would be difficult for the NFL to make a cap adjustment from 2003 to 2004 as that adjustment would only hold until the 2004 NFL draft, as his cap allotment would be reallocated at that time. In essence, the Texans are painted into a corner.

The only person that can save them is Henson. If Henson desires to play for one specific team, it is feasible for him to bite the bullet for one season, play for the minimum, and then hope to renegotiate a new deal after the 2004 season. It is more likely that Henson realizes he will be a first day pick and subject to a deal with larger yearly salaries and a signing bonus in excess of over $400,000. Although he cannot workout for NFL teams without the consent of the Texans, it is evident that his agent can create enough pre-draft buzz to move Henson up the draft boards. This is an issue we should see resolved in the coming weeks as Major League Baseball teams will begin to report to camps in February and Henson’s agent will surely attempt to have him workout before the NFL draft. With Henson unable to schedule individual workouts without the consent of the Texans, this issue could come to a head. If the Texans have an hope of salvaging a draft pick for Henson, they must force him to sign a deal that precludes any workouts, meetings, or other tests that could be performed by another NFL team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom