How About 3 Opening Drive Td's In A Row | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How About 3 Opening Drive Td's In A Row

Bob512

Formerly Dolphins512
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Pretty crazy starting this streak after going around 20 games straight without one.

Vikings defense is the middle is going to give us fits this week. Let’s just hope we can score 21 points the whole game.

Vikings defense is the middle is going to give us fits this week. Let’s just hope we can score 21 points the whole game.
They are going to bully us inside, but you can get the edge on them at times. It's going to take a good gameplan by Gase to win this one.

I love it, but pretty much a meaningless stat (in the big picture).

I might still be woozy from the game, but if we can run the ball and pass protect somewhat competently, I don't think we're going to struggle to score points.

I expect to score 28 or more points week in, week out, if those two things occur (despite missing Wilson, Grant, Gray, Derby).

I love it, but pretty much a meaningless stat (in the big picture).

I don't entirely agree with this. NFL teams by and large prefer to defer when they win the toss. The feeling is that you want to be able to see what the other team is doing and make adjustments and come out and try to score at the start of the second half, particularly if you can double it up with a possession to end the half. If a team is consistently scoring on the first drive of the game, it can neuter the deferment advantage a little bit.

There's also the mental component that goes along with having some success. Starting the game with a 3 and out vs starting the game with a big touchdown drive can instill confidence and cause opposing coaches to scramble to adjust.

I don't entirely agree with this. NFL teams by and large prefer to defer when they win the toss. The feeling is that you want to be able to see what the other team is doing and make adjustments and come out and try to score at the start of the second half, particularly if you can double it up with a possession to end the half. If a team is consistently scoring on the first drive of the game, it can neuter the deferment advantage a little bit.

There's also the mental component that goes along with having some success. Starting the game with a 3 and out vs starting the game with a big touchdown drive can instill confidence and cause opposing coaches to scramble to adjust.
Like I said, I love it.

But I have no idea if scoring on the opening drive has any impact on wins over the long term.

I'd rather go three and out on the first drive, then score on the next four, than score on the opening drive then nada (as an example).

If it was something significant, say teams that score on their opening possession win over 75% of the time, I will happily change my position.

Back
Top Bottom