How About Duce? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How About Duce?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Duce is overrated, always injured, and never productive. I sure hope we don't trade for Duce Staley.

I watched a couple of Eagles games this past year with a HUGE Philly Eagles fan. He told me during the game against the Bears in the playoffs that Duce Staley is serious trade bait...Buckhalter, he believes, is a very good RB who is going to replace Staley this year.

Staley is over-rated and very injury-prone. I would rather see us go for Fred Taylor because, although he too is injury-prone, he's certainly not over-rated at least.

AC...............

Originally posted by ac_lanham
I read over at Phinzone that Philly is willing to trade Duce Staley. U think Miami should trade for him?

http://www.phinzone.com/

I have just one word for that, NO!!!!!!!!! Duce is a very overrated running back.

NO WAY

This team should know better than to discuss Duce Staley...
Let's see an injury prone player, a high cap number, and giving up something in a trade.

Let's try not to insult fan's intelligence with even the notion.:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

now if we could have given them Damien Gregory and JJJ for Duce, or just JJJ for Duce, then maybe...

Lets make it unanimous, NO TO DUCE. Highly overrated.

We just cut Gregory last week.

DEFINITELY NOT!

I'd rather see Dunn than Duce and I think Dunn is pretty much worthless as a starting RB. :yell: I have some advice for the 'Fins: Just say no to Duce.

:monkey: Duce Staley

Clayton says

March 3, 2002
Staley probably not headed to Miami
Eagles coach Andy Reid wanted to clear the air on how Duce Staley's name got involved in discussions with the Dolphins. Simply, the Dolphins called to determine if there is a way to acquire Staley in a trade. The talks are so preliminary that it's hard to determine the price. Plus, it's looking as though the Dolphins and Saints have a chance to work out a Ricky Williams trade.

Yup sounds like Duce was a smoke screen. NO has no choice but to trade Williams now that it's been so public. Although Ricky's stuck in a hard place. His base salary breaks down to:

2002 350000.00
2003 375000.00
2004 400000.00
2005 400000.00
2006 400000.00

Anyone who gets him doesn't have to pay him **** and can keep him till 2006 and you can draft a young guy around 2004-5 to replace him when he bolts. It's either that or he doesn't play (and how do you afford your home/cars/taxes etc on 400,000. You can't afford to sit out ;p)

Chances are however, that if Ricky performs the way we all think he will then the 'Fins will restructure the deal in order to make him a happy camper. :goof: It would be nice to keep him at that salary but he is already one of the most underpaid RB's in the league and to keep him that way if he's performing wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for team continuity.

Originally posted by Expo88
Chances are however, that if Ricky performs the way we all think he will then the 'Fins will restructure the deal in order to make him a happy camper. :goof: It would be nice to keep him at that salary but he is already one of the most underpaid RB's in the league and to keep him that way if he's performing wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for team continuity.

The reason is he is so attractive is because of his contract. If we get Olin at Center and give the extension to Zach Thomas that would pay for Olin then there will be no money for Ricky. Our cap situation starting in 2004 is very very dicey and this team is built to win next year or 2003. Check out my salary cap thoughts here at the bottom.

Interesting thoughts Van but I still don't see the 'Fins keeping Williams for the money that's built into his tiny contract for the duration of it. If he is "The Man" this year in aqua and orange and rushes for a ton of yards, there's no way the 'Fins don't do something within the next two years to keep him happy and make him comparably paid with the other RB's of his caliber.

I'm not disagreeing that there may be some cap purgatory coming our way down the road but if the 'Fins decide to build an offense around Williams, the only way to do that is to make him happy.

Hopefully, there will be a way to make this thing work so we don't end up being the Ravens of 2002. In order to become the Ravens of 2002 however, you need to accomplish what the Ravens of 2000 accomplished, and that may be just what happens next year. :D

VanDolphan, remember that's just his base salary. You have to divide his signing bonus in their, plus his contract is incentive based. He's not as cheap as you may think.

Back
Top Bottom