How big a factor do you think | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How big a factor do you think

Nowadays, you always hear the announcers talk about how hard it is for teams to play in Miami in September or October. Back in the 80's, it was always that the Dolphins had a bigger advantage in November/December when playing the cold weather teams. The difference is that for the last 15 years, the Dolphins fall apart in December. In the 70's and early 80's, we used to finish the season strong. I live in New England, and sometimes have to travel to Tampa for work. And the truth is that it's a difficult adjustment any time of year. In September, the adjustment is hard because of the difference in humidity. And in December, it's hard because it's such a huge difference in temperature, and the humidity is still a factor.

You gotta love the Miami heat and humidity though. I sweat a lot...you could put me at the North Pole and I'd still sweat like a hogbuck southerner at a chilli cook-off....once you adjust to the damn heat, let it melt you!!

albyfinfan said:
by the end of the 2nd qrt. they arent worth a dime, any team coming down here in sept. or oct. is in an automatic disadvantage b\c of the heat. thats why we wear white at home early in the season:up:

Also we have no nite games this year. Heat may be a factor early on. An interesting tidbit. :cooldude:

The heat and humidty the cold and dry do have physical effects on speed of ball, flight path, and other things. All in all the heat thing is overrated. Players are well hydrated, and have huge air conditioners on the sides of the fields. They are tended to by water boys and doctors. The same is for cold except now they have heaters on the sideline. The weather thing is a mental thing. If you play 50 min in the heat or 50 min in the cold your going to be hot and worn out period. I'm dying to know what Miami's all time home record is from the month of august-october not sure where to look for that type info.

In summary does the weather effect play, yes. Does it win or lose games HELL NO!!!

Edit: The only people who really suffer are the fans. Its hotter then Hell in the stands especially since all of our games are at 1pm this year (execpt two)

awing_pilot said:
The heat and humidty the cold and dry do have physical effects on speed of ball, flight path, and other things. All in all the heat thing is overrated. Players are well hydrated, and have huge air conditioners on the sides of the fields. They are tended to by water boys and doctors. The same is for cold except now they have heaters on the sideline. The weather thing is a mental thing. If you play 50 min in the heat or 50 min in the cold your going to be hot and worn out period. I'm dying to know what Miami's all time home record is from the month of august-october not sure where to look for that type info.

In summary does the weather effect play, yes. Does it win or lose games HELL NO!!!

Edit: The only people who really suffer are the fans. Its hotter then Hell in the stands especially since all of our games are at 1pm this year (execpt two)

If you dont mind doing a little research you can get some data right here on FH.
http://www.finheaven.com/history/bygame.php

There are attendance figures from 1988.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
give me statistical evidence

For the NBA the Heat were like 35-5 at home and 24-17 on the road. Detriot 32-9 at Home 22-19 on the road. Looking throught all the NBA standings not one team had a better road record. 3 or 4 had tied but none where better.

For the NFL 5 teams had more wins on the road. and all 5 teams were below .500

2004 Baseball season only the Baltimore Orioles had more wins on the road then at home.

love your sig. :yeahthat:

up until 2002 we barely lost a september home game, so i think it's a factor.

Ark139954 said:
How can they win when the rockets are goign to beat them. the rockets are the best team in the league

Hate to burst your bubble but the Rockets need to get past the Mavs! Oh and by the way the SUNS are the best and most exciting team in the NBA. It's gonna be Heat and Suns in the Finals. With the SUNS beating the heat in 6!

Heat and Humidity

Heck yeah, it makes a difference. Having lived in Florida for 25 yrs, I can yes heat and humidity is a huge advantage.

Examples Steelers @ Jaguars. The Jags come out in home whites made the Steeler wear black and gold. The Steeler melted 1/2 thru the third quarter, Cower at the press conference was all sorts of pissed off.

Huskers vs Canes. The smaller quicker 'Canes DL literal ran around the bigger Huckers OL. At the end of the game the Huckers vaunted OL was sucking wind......

Yeah it makes a difference.

Finfan86 said:
For the NBA the Heat were like 35-5 at home and 24-17 on the road. Detriot 32-9 at Home 22-19 on the road. Looking throught all the NBA standings not one team had a better road record. 3 or 4 had tied but none where better.

For the NFL 5 teams had more wins on the road. and all 5 teams were below .500

2004 Baseball season only the Baltimore Orioles had more wins on the road then at home.

One year does not make statistical evidence. You could of just gave me statistical anomalies. When you are talking on a grand scale one or two exceptions does not prove the rule is false.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
One year does not make statistical evidence. You could of just gave me statistical anomalies. When you are talking on a grand scale one or two exceptions does not prove the rule is false.

are you saying the rule is that homefield is NOT an advantage? cuz thats what you are argueing and he just proved you wrong. there is a reason its called homefield ADVANTAGE and playoffs are always played at the home teams field/arena/stadium etc

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
He may have only given you one year, but he gave you multiple sports. Not to mention when Vegas crafts its odds they spot the home team points. For example in college basketball, being at home is worth 4.5 points toward the spread. Bookies don't F with their money, home field advantage is a factor.

TarHeelFinFan said:
He may have only given you one year, but he gave you multiple sports. Not to mention when Vegas crafts its odds they spot the home team points. For example in college basketball, being at home is worth 4.5 points toward the spread. Bookies don't F with their money, home field advantage is a factor.

I agree that homefield is a factor. However to statistically prove a point you need more than one year from each sport.

Back
Top Bottom