How do bonuses count when a player is traded? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How do bonuses count when a player is traded?

caneaddict

Pro Bowler
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I know that usually stuff like signing bonus is prorated through a contract. But when a player is traded, does the new team still add the prorated portion of the bonuses to the yearly cap?

Or does the players new cap number to the new team revert to just his actual base salary?

When you give a signing bonus you give it to the player strait up but your spread it year by year on the cap to lower the hit

example

a player gets a 10 million bonus and a 2 year contract

He gets the 10 million strait up but on the cap it looks like he gets 5 Mill each year

So whatever portion of the bonus is unpaid on the cap is the hit that the team takes

someone correct me if im wrong

caneaddict said:
I know that usually stuff like signing bonus is prorated through a contract. But when a player is traded, does the new team still add the prorated portion of the bonuses to the yearly cap?

Or does the players new cap number to the new team revert to just his actual base salary?

Im pretty sure the whole bonus is counted against that years cap in the event of a trade. Merman or Clump could verify this...

Alex22 said:
When you give a signing bonus you give it to the player strait up but your spread it year by year on the cap to lower the hit

example

a player gets a 10 million bonus and a 2 year contract

He gets the 10 million strait up but on the cap it looks like he gets 5 Mill each year

So whatever portion of the bonus is unpaid on the cap is the hit that the team takes

someone correct me if im wrong

That's exactly right.

If that's the case then wouldn't Minnesota have to take a huge cap hi to trade Culpepper, he just signed a new deal recently.

Also he wouldn't have much risk for Miami because he only has a base salary of $2MM next year. If he sucks, we cut him before the base gets really high.

Back
Top Bottom