How do the Miami Dolphins stack up to NFL in wins during 16-game era? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How do the Miami Dolphins stack up to NFL in wins during 16-game era?

Don't want to be a party pooper but damn we dropped down to 9th? Hopefully we can once again be top 3 soon...that's one of the few stats I always remember Al Michaels always saying on MNF as a kid...always mentioning how the Dolphins are 'the winningest franchise in the league' or 'one of the top winningest franchises in the league'...

Don't want to be a party pooper but damn we dropped down to 9th? Hopefully we can once again be top 3 soon...that's one of the few stats I always remember Al Michaels always saying on MNF as a kid...always mentioning how the Dolphins are 'the winningest franchise in the league' or 'one of the top winningest franchises in the league'...
That's what happens when you force a coach to retire and the team never recovers all because the great jimmy johnson wanted to pretend to coach again.

Hopefully with Flores we are getting that back.

That's what happens when you force a coach to retire and the team never recovers all because the great jimmy johnson wanted to pretend to coach again.
Blaming the sorry state of the Dolphins post-2003 on Shula being forced out after 1995 is yet another way of ignoring the fact that the reason the Dolphins have never recovered after driving off the cliff is because each and every regime brought in since Wanny (not including the current regime which shouldn't be judged until it has run its course) has completely and utterly failed-- every coach, every GM, under both Wayne and Ross. That's also why the Dolphins went from having the highest winning percentage in all of sports to just an also-ran.

Shula was given every chance to succeed when he was here. And he deserves high praise for his first 15 years. After 1985, the misses were much greater than the hits, and even the mini-resurgence of the early to mid 90s did little to change it. Managing to go 8-8, 8-8, 6-10, and 8-8 during Dan Marino's prime is perhaps the greatest waste of a Hall of Famer in recent history (outside of Detroit, I imagine). And since he was in charge of the whole thing, the blame falls squarely on him.

This is sad to me. At one point up until 2000 Miami was actually first or second on that list in terms of win percentage. They used to flip flop with San Fran.

We were the winningest team in modern pro sports up until the new millennium.

I believe Marino only had 2 losing seasons out of 17? Couple that with the 70's and there is no reason a resurgence can't bring us back to the top where the only inhabitants of perfectville reside.

We were the winningest team in modern pro sports up until the new millennium.

I believe Marino only had 2 losing seasons out of 17? Couple that with the 70's and there is no reason a resurgence can't bring us back to the top where the only inhabitants of perfectville reside.
Marino only had one losing season— in 1988. He had way too many 8-8 seasons, though, because he dragged a lot of flawed teams to mediocrity hell.

Last edited:
I miss hearing that as well. The fins were the winningest franchise in professional sports (not just NFL) since 1970 up until Marino retired.

Hell, how long has it been since Miami’s won 12 games in a season?
Not since 1990. Haven’t won more than 12 regular season games in a season since 1984.

In fact, the most games Miami has won in a season (including playoffs) since 1990 is: 12. Eleven wins in the regular season, one win in the playoffs, and that’s it. (The team ended up winning 13 in 1990 because they were 1-1 in the playoffs).

Not as bad as I thought. Until 2007, Miami had the most overall wins since the super bowl era. One more than Pittsburgh. The last 13 years haven't been good ones for the Dolphins, but, things are looking up. Time to make winning the seasons the norm again. Better yet, time to win some championships!

Back
Top Bottom