How do we upgrade our Passing Game? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How do we upgrade our Passing Game?

What to Change and Who to Blame?

• Upgrade Coaching (Philosophy/Staff)...Norv Turner and Staff Dropped the Ball

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upgrade WRs...James McKnight and Oronde Gadsden to blame

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Upgrade WRs...All the WRs are overrated including (possibly especially?) Chambers

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Upgrade QB...Jay Fiedler is not a Quality Starter

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Upgrade OL...QBs didn't have enough time, Norv couldn't call long passes

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
I became a Fiedler homer this season all of a sudden, always been a Norv Turner homer, you know my feelings on McKnight, and I really do think Chambers is very very good.

So, desperately, I search for the only way not to blame any of those guys. But if you think about it, it does make a little sense. If your pass protection is not up to snuff, the first place you'll notice a drop in production is in WR yardage, possibly an increase in play-action and passes to the Tight Ends and backs, which we saw.

It could also be that Norv Turner's passing game really will take more than a season to settle in...which really, is not exactly rare or unexpected.

Another WR, better offensive line to give Fiedler more time and even though I still support Fiedler, an upgrade at QB would be nice. Problem is, who out there is an upgrade without spending big time money?

It could also be nervousness about Mark Dixon playing LT...I mean, I thought he was great, and doing a good job, but the coaches might have been sitting there more nervous than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs and they let that get to them in their play-calling.

It's not unreasonable, considering out starting LT is a short undersized guard convert who is injury prone and hasn't played tackle in like 4 years, at the CFL level at that. We get a legitimate LT the coaches are comfortable with like Gandy or Petitgout or Adams, and maybe all the sudden coaches are calling for a few more double moves...

I voted on the OL. Though I do think our WR corps needs upgrading too - I get scared every time McKnight touches the ball. But while our OL did a good job of run blocking for Ricky, their pass blocking left something to be desired.

I also voted on the WR's...

We need to shut the revolving door at the #2WR spot and get a sold possesion guy with hands of gold thats willing to go over the middle.

I voted OL.

Jay will be the starter in 2002. So the QB choice goes out the window for me.

The way I look at it, if you give a QB enough time, a WR is going to eventually get open. I saw both OTs get beat far too often this year. And Jay was not nearly as elusive in the pocket as we was the two previous seasons (as a result of Turner making him focus more on his progressions and less on the rush).

But we MUST come away with a bonafied possession WR, whether it's Gadsden or whoever. I really think it will be a veteran. We might draft someone for that role if someone's available. But there will be a veteran starter there no matter what.

Originally posted by Muck
I voted OL.

Jay will be the starter in 2002. So the QB choice goes out the window for me.

The way I look at it, if you give a QB enough time, a WR is going to eventually get open. I saw both OTs get beat far too often this year. And Jay was not nearly as elusive in the pocket as we was the two previous seasons (as a result of Turner making him focus more on his progressions and less on the rush).

But we MUST come away with a bonafied possession WR, whether it's Gadsden or whoever. I really think it will be a veteran. We might draft someone for that role if someone's available. But there will be a veteran starter there no matter what.
although i agree, upgrading the OL would help, the defense could use a kick in the ass. you score 30 points and you should win. you have a running back with 228 yds, you should win. this off and on defense must think they don't have to exert themselves!:rolleyes:

I'd start by kicking the defensive coordinator right out the door. I'm sick and tired of his prevent defense every time we get a lead.

FREE GEORGE HILL!!

Back
Top Bottom