How Does Phillips Injury Affect the Draft? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Does Phillips Injury Affect the Draft?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
For the longest time I've been thinking offensive tackle is the obvious choice for Miami's number one pick come April.

It still may be, as that position is strong in the draft, and Armstead unfortunately can't stay on the field.

But Phillips injury could change the Dolphins view. Typically, this is an injury that takes 9-12 months, meaning Phillips could miss a portion of the season.

Aaron Rodgers had a new procedure that is supposed to shorten the recovery time. Not sure if Phillips is opting for the same procedure?

Anyway, how do you all think that affects the draft for Miami? Phillips is such an important player in this defense.

For the longest time I've been thinking offensive tackle is the obvious choice for Miami's number one pick come April.

It still may be, as that position is strong in the draft, and Armstead unfortunately can't stay on the field.

But Phillips injury could change the Dolphins view. Typically, this is an injury that takes 9-12 months, meaning Phillips could miss a portion of the season.

Aaron Rodgers had a new procedure that is supposed to shorten the recovery time. Not sure if Phillips is opting for the same procedure?

Anyway, how do you all think that affects the draft for Miami? Phillips is such an important player in this defense.
I did a mock today on PFN where I got Laiatu Latu from UCLA in the first round. I really can’t predict anything because I have no idea what OL are lost in free agency.

I think OT is still the biggest target but I have DL up there next because they will probably be moving on from Ogbah and who knows what will happen with Wilkins?
I'm wondering if you leave Ginkle in the rotation with Chubb and Phillips, then search of an ILB and a 5tech DL.

I was just looking at LB and DBs last night. Chris Braswell ALA looks like a good fit for us, someone who can rush and drop back into coverage, like Phillips and GInk. I don't know where he ranks, probably high.
I don't think it's a priority because Grier can get guys like Ingram and JPP off the street.

I think DBs are a higher priority, safety and corner.

Now that Chubb is injured too will we be forced to draft a pass rusher in the first round now?

I wonder if they consider letting Wilkins walk and use that money on Danielle Hunter or Chase Young. Much easier to find a DT late than an edge.

Now that Chubb is injured too will we be forced to draft a pass rusher in the first round now?
If there is one avaialble I think you have to take him. Doubtful either of our starting pass rushers will be avaialble until mid or late next season.

this is a very weak edge rusher class, unless 1 falls i am not reaching for one in the 1st rd. look at free agency, we really need to upgrade the line, the back ups did well for back ups, if Tua needed more then 2 seconds to throw he was doomed as they could not hold their blocks longer

I don't see an edge rusher worth taking in R1 for Miami.

Unless one of Latu/Turner/Verse/Robinson/Trice slips quite a bit.

Maybe Jonah Elliss from Utah in R2.

It looks like OL should be a good match for Miami's needs and how the Draft should fall.

But a lot can change between now and the Draft.

I've had OT and D-line as 1,2 on my board since last year's draft, so... no changes.

The second part of this is that you are ALWAYS looking for another pass rusher, no matter how many that you have-- they are THAT valuable... so again... no changes.

IF an OL is not on the board for Miami in R2 they could look to Bralen Trice from Wash. He is a bigger DE who plays with violence but is a bit lacking in pure athleticism.

A R2 option might ne Brandon Dorlus from Oregon who is another bigger edge player. Dorlus could shift inside as well bringing some versatility.

Guessing with Chubbs/Phillips injury/recovery/draft options, Miami will go OL. OT Mims Ga. or OT Morgan Az. are projected to be available around the latter 1st rd but a good showing in the combine can change all that.

What would you think if a QB moves up the charts from the projected 2nd into the lower half of the 1st rd. Someone like Pennix. Maybe able to garner some picks to move back to help fill more holes on the roster.

Guessing with Chubbs/Phillips injury/recovery/draft options, Miami will go OL. OT Mims Ga. or OT Morgan Az. are projected to be available around the latter 1st rd but a good showing in the combine can change all that.

What would you think if a QB moves up the charts from the projected 2nd into the lower half of the 1st rd. Someone like Pennix. Maybe able to garner some picks to move back to help fill more holes on the roster.
Mims will be long gone.

Even with his lack of experience his size and movement skills will have him go in the Top 20, maybe Top 15.

Morgan looks like a pretty solid bet for Miami right now as he projects for the late 1st and is a fit for what the Fins want in an OT.

I agree about the possibility that one of the 2nd tier QB's could make Miami's pick desirable in a trade up sceanrio.

I would love to move back and add more picks unless there is a guy I just can't pass up on the board for Miami.

Back
Top Bottom