How does the O-Line help when... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How does the O-Line help when...

iLLuZiOnZ1313

Fireman Ed Sucks Sucks Sucks!
Reaction score
How exactly do the QB's get any real "practice" when JT and other DE's literally just stop every play before it happens? Obviously no O-Line can be judged or graded without pads and actual forceful contact but seriously now. How can the QBs' even get the system into them when all they do i scramble on every play during practice???
Are the Qb;s even getting anything out of this?

When pads come one then im sure real practice happens but even if their sacked they have to complete the throw and if thats done then thier working on passing but i understand where your coming from I guess anwsers will come TC

From my experiences with football we always just run to the QB or by him and let him throw without touching him. It kind of gives the QB a little work cuz they have to at the very least step up into the pocket and make the throw. So they are still seeing the WR's routes develop and they can work on timing. These types of drills are for the QBs and WRs, the Dline and Oline get vertually no functionality out of these drills.

iLLuZiOnZ1313 said:
How exactly do the QB's get any real "practice" when JT and other DE's literally just stop every play before it happens? Obviously no O-Line can be judged or graded without pads and actual forceful contact but seriously now. How can the QBs' even get the system into them when all they do i scramble on every play during practice???
Are the Qb;s even getting anything out of this?

Good question, I quess it's why Jay's so great at scrambling. I think it does force the qb to think faster, learn the system and be prepared for games. When they do get plays in, they know they've done their jobs. In the individual drills of handing off and when the O does it's own thing in practice I quess they get the timing down, at least that's where I remember getting my timing down before we saw a D. Then it just execution. With the pressure you learn to do it fast and right the first time.

Also, one thing to remember, I'm not sure exactly what part of practice these things are happening but football practices are split up into different parts. One of the many part is just running plays, then maybe all passing plays. So when they run all passing plays the Dline knos it and they dont worry about the run so they go hell bent at the QB making it very difficult for the Oline to block cuz the Dline pretty much knos the play already.

NJPHIN34 said:
These types of drills are for the QBs and WRs, the Dline and Oline get vertually no functionality out of these drills.

That's not true. Most people just don't know what they are looking for.

The DL can work on their individual technique along with becoming accustomed to their gap assignments to the various defensive calls.

The OL is working on various individual techniques along with assignments versus different fronts according to the protection call.

Most of the learning or correction can be done prior to the pads going on.

Back
Top Bottom