How Good is the Run D, Really? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Good is the Run D, Really?

Shouright

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Should find out this weekend against one of the best O-lines and running back tandems in the league.

Wait -- I forgot to mention Cleo Lemon. There, I did.

;)

I believe we went from the #2 rush defense to #13 in a matter of two weeks. I think we can be a top 10 rush D but I think we may have some trouble this Sunday... err (whenever we play) because with Willie Roaf back their line is back to being the most dominant O-line in the league and they got Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson whom I wouldn't be surprised if they both ran for a 1000+ yards a peice this year... Our D is going to have to come up HUGE... if we can somehow stop Kansas City or even slow them down, I think we're for real.

painnotpleasure said:
I believe we went from the #2 rush defense to #13 in a matter of two weeks. I think we can be a top 10 rush D but I think we may have some trouble this Sunday... err (whenever we play) because with Willie Roaf back their line is back to being the most dominant O-line in the league and they got Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson whom I wouldn't be surprised if they both ran for a 1000+ yards a peice this year... Our D is going to have to come up HUGE... if we can somehow stop Kansas City or even slow them down, I think we're for real.

Well from the press conf Saban indicated the Run D vs. Tampa (outside of 2 runs for over 90yds) was the same solid one in the 4 previous games. And the 2 runs he indicated were caused by bad tackling execution and/or missed technique and gap assingments. You could tell he was livid and made a point to emphasize to the players by showing them how they didnt miss assingements on 1 play resulting in no game, then the exact same play where gap assingments on a base D was called and they brokedown for the long run. He is teaching them about accountablility to assignments and the positive and negative outcomes that result from doing it correctly vs. not. Missed tackles are more of a fluke.

So presuming the players dont suffer an assignment breakdown and we tackle fairly well we should continue to be fine. I agree the test is a good measuring stick with KC running game.

We are definitely in for a gut check this week. If our offense can't sustain any drives, I think our defense will have a tough time holding up.

painnotpleasure said:

In yards per attempt were tied for 5th with Pittsburgh at 3.4 yards per carry.

Back
Top Bottom