How is Wade Smith doing? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How is Wade Smith doing?

JJ777

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Can anyone watching the game tell me how Wade Smith is doing vs Hugh Douglas????

Fied has had time to pass and has been composed. Minor broke a long run by Nails or Wade Smith. Greise sacked once where he didn't have a chance. A definate OL gaffe don't know on who.

Dolphins let down by the second team of NE patriots game caliber. 55 seconds till the half they Gerrard run, Jimmy Smith burns Omare Lowe for 2 catchs for 40 yards. Second team secondary including Fletcher have been awful.

I think Fletcher played alright and Smith looked fine for it being his first start.

I am surprised to hear this about Smith, I thought Douglas would burn him, but I guess this is good news for a game that I hear isn't going well. :(

It was going alright up untill the 3rd stringers took over.

Dave was super pissed :lol:

Smith stood him up all night. He's going to be the star of this draft class for us. We've found our bookend, an athletic tackle that can pull & clear the say for Ricky. Him & Nails on the same side is scary.

Sounds good, Wade held his own against Hugh, who was suppose to show something tonight..Hmmm wonder what his coach is thinking. A 3rd round draft pick handling his star DE.

I watched the game and Wade Smith looked as good as anyone could ever reasonably expect for his first start, IMO. At the risk of being labeled a blindly loyal homer, IMO Smith is the best looking rooke OL we've had since Webb and Sims were rooks in 1990.
He has outstanding feet, displayed good hand usage and was very good at recovering when Douglas' used double moves. He did get some TE help on the first couple of series, but after that seemed to be mostly on his own and did very well. Hugh never got a hand on either Jay or Brian that I recall, and never even pressured them to throw too early.
His run blocking in many ways looked effective, especially on runs to the opposite side. He's not a road grader, don't think anyone ever expected him to be, at this point, but he can position and wall off,made some nice down blocks and cut blocks and was generally effective in this regard.
Barring injury, he can be the best pass blocking OLT to come out of the 2003 draft over the next decade or so...IMO.

Originally posted by MrClean
I watched the game and Wade Smith looked as good as anyone could ever reasonably expect for his first start, IMO. At the risk of being labeled a blindly loyal homer, IMO Smith is the best looking rooke OL we've had since Webb and Sims were rooks in 1990.
He has outstanding feet, displayed good hand usage and was very good at recovering when Douglas' used double moves. He did get some TE help on the first couple of series, but after that seemed to be mostly on his own and did very well. Hugh never got a hand on either Jay or Brian that I recall, and never even pressured them to throw too early.
His run blocking in many ways looked effective, especially on runs to the opposite side. He's not a road grader, don't think anyone ever expected him to be, at this point, but he can position and wall off,made some nice down blocks and cut blocks and was generally effective in this regard.
Barring injury, he can be the best pass blocking OLT to come out of the 2003 draft over the next decade or so...IMO.

I agree with everything you said about Wade Smith Mr. Clean. It's only one game, but it's one hell of a GREAT start.

I have to say this. IMO Wade Smith looked more comfortable at LT than Dixon ever did at any time at LT. I'd have to say he's at the very least an upgrade over Dixon at LT.

Oliver...

Originally posted by Oliver

I agree with everything you said about Wade Smith Mr. Clean. It's only one game, but it's one hell of a GREAT start.

I have to say this. IMO Wade Smith looked more comfortable at LT than Dixon ever did at any time at LT. I'd have to say he's at the very least an upgrade over Dixon at LT.

Oliver...

Wouldn't it be great if we could move Dixon back to his natural position at LG? All Wade has to do now is to improve upon his technique and his upper body strength. Those are essentials for a LT.

:cool:

Originally posted by aqua&orange54

Wouldn't it be great if we could move Dixon back to his natural position at LG? All Wade has to do now is to improve upon his technique and his upper body strength. Those are essentials for a LT.

:cool:

I don't think Dixon is as good as either of our starting G's. Todd Perry is a very under rated by most fans, but he's as solid as they come. And I think we can all agree Nails is our BEST G.

I wouldn't want to break up any chemistry this current OL has going.

Oliver...

I think that might be going a little far Oliver.

I have to say that Smith really surprised me tonight. He looked a little overconfident to me before the game, and Hugh Douglas really needed a strong performance to shut up the fans and his coach, and Hugh did not deliver. I think Dave Hyde summed it up the best really...

See if he can keep turning this topic so neatly around that, if the question going in was whether the rookie could play, the question going out was whether Douglas will prove to be worth $6 million a year to Jacksonville.

Wade Smith went in tonight facing questions about the validity of his own acquisition, and came away tonight leaving questions about Hugh Douglas' acquisition. Nice job.

BUT, keep a little perspective. He only went against Hugh Douglas for a real matchup 19 times, and he did not by any means handle Hugh on EVERY play. I'm watchin the game tape right now and it looks like Hugh managed to gain some minimal effect on the QB on two of the plays, and on one play Wade Smith was right...he got beaten by Douglas to the inside but Jamie Nails bailed him out. Even though Nails bailed him out it caused Fiedler to sense trouble, tuck the ball, and run forward for 4 yards. And on most of the 19 matchups, Hugh wasn't even given a chance.

Back
Top Bottom