How long until Zach Thomas succumbs to Offerdahl syndrome? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How long until Zach Thomas succumbs to Offerdahl syndrome?

Maggot Brain

Trade Bait
Reaction score
Let me start out by saying I think Zach is the undisputed heart and soul of the Dolphin D, and if they all played with his drive, determination and chutzpah these December swoons would be a small footnote in history, if that. However, how long until his body begins to betray him and his skills consequently deteriorate? It's not like he's a big beefy guy who can absorb endless punishment, yet, in his hammerhead style of play, that's exactly what he does. John Offerdahl played that same under-talented, over-achieving style for what 8 or 9 seasons before the years of physical abuse took their toll on him and forced him into retirement. Well guess what? This is Zach's 8th season (I couldn't believe in when I read it) and it seems the frequency and severity of his injuries are on the rise. Don't get me wrong; he's a warrior and I'd still take him before almost any other middle LB in the league. How much longer will this be the case? I don't know, and that worries me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking the same thing Maggot. His missed tackles and injuries are definately on the rise. I give him 2 more seasons before it becomes too big of a liablity to ignore......

Zach will be closer to av erage next year and then he will be done a year after that. Two seasons at the most. He is still good, but not what he was even two years ago.

His play has noticably dropped off this year........he is still a stud though

I've always liked Zach's play, but his mouth betray's him. He seems weak in the leadership dept.
The disparaging comments he makes to the press after key games the phins lose perpetuate the Ds mediocrity where the rubber meets the road... in big games.

Zach is still in the top five MLB's in the game. At times he is the BEST mlb in the game. He lacks in the leadership Dept. and the comparisons to Offerdahl are incorrect. Offerdahl was asked to take on blockers. Zach is asked to run to the ball. Past history shows that MLB's in a 4-3 flex system last a very long time (K. Norton Jr., Singletary, and S. Mills as examples).

He's fine for around three years.

Back
Top Bottom