How Much Did We Save? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Much Did We Save?

OG54

Starter
Reaction score
W/ trading D. Rodgers to the Saints? What is our cap # now? Anybody know?

We didn't save anything. Rodgers cap number was 1.28 million. He had 1.5 million in unamortized signing bonus remaining (750k/year for 2 more years).

By trading him, the unamortized bonus was accelerated into this year.

Therefore his cap hit is now 1.5 million - 1.28 million = $220,000 cap hit

BUT...that's not all. Rodgers absence means another player moves into the top 51 cap numbers. Before Rodgers left, #52 was a $300,000 cap hit.

So, after the trade, Miami lost $520,000 in cap space in return for a 7th round pick. However, I think it was a wise move, since we have some extra room this year, so why not take the whole hit this year? Next year, that extra $750,000 in space can go a long way.

As it is, Miami will have to count $1.5 million against its 2003 cap for Rodgers, and will save just $250,000. Rodgers is scheduled to earn $1 million this season between his base salary and a roster bonus and his base salary for 2004 is $2.5 million. It is not yet known if Rodgers agreed to restructure his contract to help facilitate the trade.

Ldouble80's numbers are right on with the information previously given out. Rogers took a salary cut of $1 million so his contract was already redone and could not be renegotiated for 12 months. Since the NFLPA posts the salary at $530K and no bonus was mentioned it is assumed that the difference is incentives. If there was a bonus given this year then the dead cap money is just increased. The $1.5 million was from his original contract bonus.

Dolphins | Contract Details: Rodgers - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 00:35:47 -0800
Jason Cole reports for the Miami Herald Miami Dolphins LB Derrick Rodgers simply reduced his 2003 salary by $1 million when he accepted a new contract for the 2003 season. His base salary was reduced to $1.1 million from $2.1 million.

Originally posted by OG54
W/ trading D. Rodgers to the Saints? What is our cap # now? Anybody know?

As it has been said before without all the correct information this figure is a just a good estimate. About $2.18 million under the cap.

What do you have Ldouble80 ??

Clumped it seems like you've found a new smilie you like there bud. that's exactly what the Bills defense will look like this year, hiding from Ricky.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
:couch:

Sorry Clumpedplatelet. What cap numbers do you have?? :)
BTW have you seen this??? I suppose you have.

The following are links to cap pages for other NFL teams.

* Dallas Cowboys
* Steelers
* Eagles
* Eagles
* Packers
* 49ers
* Buccanneers
* Texans
* Bills
* Bills
* Dolphins (done by a Bills fan)
* Raiders
* Raiders
http://www.patsfans.com/miguel/capsources.html

http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/g...news&action=YourSite_content&month=1&nid=3755

Well, if we somehow saved $250,000, and Rodgers still counts as 1,500,000 against the cap, that means that his cap number WAS 1,750,000--not the 1,280,000 that I had.

So...if his signing bonus was to count $750,000 this year, that means his base salary plus LTBE (likely to be earned incentives, which count against the cap) equaled 1 million.

I was going on the NFLPA numbers, which just count base salary. Miami likes to use a lot of incentives which are nearly impossible to find.

However, like I said, we still replaced Rodgers with a $300,000 cap figure, so in essence, we lost $50,000 in space after the deal was done, but we got a 7th round pick, and cleared a ton of space for next year.

By the way, I have us at about 1.8 million...I have no idea where 2.5 million came from. It seems as though each week a new number pops up.

According to the palm beach post:
The Dolphins were resolved to release Rodgers on Monday, which would have saved them $1 million this year, but talks with the Saints picked up during the weekend. As a result, the move saves the Dolphins just $250,000 this year but gives them a draft pick next year. Rodgers signed a one-year deal with the Saints that includes an adjusted incentive package and will allow him to be a free agent after this season.

Also:

The Dolphins, however, tried to be sensitive in their dealings with Rodgers because they restructured his contract this off-season, lowering his base salary to $530,000 from $2.1 million but giving him a chance to make up the loss with incentives

From the Sun Sentinel:
The Dolphins could have saved about $1 million against their 2003 salary cap by releasing Rodgers next Monday because of NFL rules allowing the team to split his remaining cap figure over the next two seasons. By trading him, the Dolphins cleared only $250,000 in cap room.

and

Rodgers was slated to earn a total of $2.1 million if he played in 60 percent of his team's defensive snaps. To make the trade possible, Rodgers accepted a restructured contract from the Saints.

and finally from another Palm Beach Post Article:

DAVIE -- With Derrick Rodgers now traded to New Orleans, the only remaining unsigned starter for the Dolphins is Oronde Gadsden, and the Dolphins are in a take-it-or-leave-it mood.

The Dolphins have offered Gadsden a one-year deal worth $530,000 that includes individual incentives, but Gadsden is looking for team incentives, like a higher-rated passing game, to complete a deal.

The Dolphins have around $2.5 million worth of salary-cap space, which gives them enough room to sign Brian Griese, who will be cut Monday by Denver and could be a Dolphin later that day, and their nine draft picks.

Originally posted by LdoubleE80
Well, if we somehow saved $250,000, and Rodgers still counts as 1,500,000 against the cap, that means that his cap number WAS 1,750,000--not the 1,280,000 that I had.

So...if his signing bonus was to count $750,000 this year, that means his base salary plus LTBE (likely to be earned incentives, which count against the cap) equaled 1 million.

I was going on the NFLPA numbers, which just count base salary. Miami likes to use a lot of incentives which are nearly impossible to find.

However, like I said, we still replaced Rodgers with a $300,000 cap figure, so in essence, we lost $50,000 in space after the deal was done, but we got a 7th round pick, and cleared a ton of space for next year.

Ok lets just start from the beginning of 2003. Rogers' original salary was $2.1 million. He took a $1M salary cut which leaves $1.1M

Now he has $530K base salary, $470K is LTBE and $100K is NLTBE = $1.1M??? Great, now where is the roster bonus Pasquarelli said was included??? Or was that the $100K NLTBE not included in salary?? If there was a bonus then the cap hit can't be $1.5M which is the remaining original bonus amortization. So which part did he get wrong???

Well it really doesn't matter. The only agreement here is the $1.5M dead cap money for 2003.

As it is, Miami will have to count $1.5 million against its 2003 cap for Rodgers, and will save just $250,000. Rodgers is scheduled to earn $1 million this season between his base salary and a roster bonus and his base salary for 2004 is $2.5 million. It is not yet known if Rodgers agreed to restructure his contract to help facilitate the trade.

So the Plam Beach Post is using the same numbers with no roster bonus.
What surprised me was:
To make the trade possible, Rodgers accepted a restructured contract from the Saints.

Now if this is true how did they get around not being able to renegotiate a contract for 12 months??

Originally posted by Merman

What surprised me was:
Now if this is true how did they get around not being able to renegotiate a contract for 12 months??

Turns out its very easy. You can't increase a salary for 12 months, never mind if its for decreases.

Section 9. Renegotiations and Extensions:

Provided that all Salary Cap requirements are met, Player Contracts for current and future years may be renegotiated and/or extended except as follows:

(a) The contract of a Veteran Player may not be renegotiated to increase the Salary to be paid to the player during the original terms of the contract for a period of twelve months after the player’s most recent contract renegotiation. The first renegotiation of a Veteran Player Contract, however, may take place at any time.

For any who are interested, I might as post the rookie rule too.

(f) The Player Contract of a Drafted Rookie or Undrafted Rookie may not be renegotiated for a one (1) year period following the date of the initial signing of such Player Contract, or until August 1 of the following League Year, whichever is later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you got it.

530,000 Base
470,000 LTBE
100,000 Roster Bonus
1,000,000 NLTBE

Back
Top Bottom