How much does Cutler trade shake up the 1st round? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How much does Cutler trade shake up the 1st round?

CO-Gator

They all float down here.
Club Member
Reaction score
Now you have the Bears, who I saw taking a DHB or Nicks in a lot of mock drafts, now out of the 1st round entirely. Some people had the Jets getting Maclin or Harvin at 17. Now I would almost certainly assume they would try and get a QB whether they stay at 17 or try and trade up for a Mark Sanchez. I could be wrong. Hopefully they'll have another infamous 1st round blunder. Now the Broncos have the 12th and 18th overall picks. Would they try and involve either or both of those picks in a trade? They desparately need defensive help, but they kinda need a QB now too since I don't think Orton will get it done there. I live out in Bronco land. I know these fans. But most importantly (well to everyone here at least), who could end up falling to the Phins at 25 now?

Well they are a PATRIOT CLONE...so that means they are running the 3-4...They need DE, OLB , DT and CB....what we need in defense they also need...i think tyson jackson, arron maybin, larry english, maualuga, matthews, barwin, darius butler, and vontae daivs are on their draft boards

I actually think this is going to help us. Both the Jets and the Broncos desperately need a qb.

Now you have the Bears, who I saw taking a DHB or Nicks in a lot of mock drafts, now out of the 1st round entirely. Some people had the Jets getting Maclin or Harvin at 17. Now I would almost certainly assume they would try and get a QB whether they stay at 17 or try and trade up for a Mark Sanchez. I could be wrong. Hopefully they'll have another infamous 1st round blunder. Now the Broncos have the 12th and 18th overall picks. Would they try and involve either or both of those picks in a trade? They desparately need defensive help, but they kinda need a QB now too since I don't think Orton will get it done there. I live out in Bronco land. I know these fans. But most importantly (well to everyone here at least), who could end up falling to the Phins at 25 now?

i think Denver has to take a QB in round 1. i know they have Orton, but he wasn't all that special. they are in a good position to trade up, if they have to. at #18, they could go Tyson Jackson, Rey Maualuga, Larry English or Brian Cushing.

Look for the Jets to try to jump into the 11th if Sanchez is available....If not, maybe Denver goes for Freeman , assuming Tampa would target him....Or maybe Denver can pack something and make a move for Sanchez, or Stafford...
Anyways, its all good, Cutler not going to the Jets and out of the AFC, and more demand for a position in which we are deep to the neck...
Chicago will probably target a tackle or D with their 2nd rounder, not sure they will seek a WR, since last year they got Cutlers old fav target, Bennet, and their TEs are very good, maybe they get someone later...Its more important to protect Cutler now...
Now Denver is probably going to use it on QB and RB, which bennefits us too...
Anyways, all we know is that our choice is going to be more difficult, damn, I would love for us to trade down a few spots!

I think that this trade helps the Dolphins in several ways.

1. It takes the Bears out of the first round.

The Bears were strongly considering a WR, but were also very interested in drafting a tackle. The fact that the Broncos will not draft a WR at 18 (assuming they stay there) means that there will be more choices for the Dolphins at WR at 25...or 44...or 56.

The Bears moving out of the first round also has a nice effect on Philadelphia and Minnesota at 21 and 22 (in terms of the likelihood that they let good WRs drop in the draft). Philadelphia is interested in adding an OT, and with Chicago out of the way it may mean that a guy like Eben Britton falls from 18, where I think the Bears would've snapped him up, to 21.

Minnesota wants WRs and a RT. If Britton goes at 21, the Vikings either have to take William Beatty at 22 or accept a lower-level talent at the position. Nobody can guarantee what will happen in the future, of course, but I think that in this kind of scenario, with 5 of the 6 OTs who are being considered in the 1st round off the board, the Vikings will probably take Beatty.

2. The Broncos may be interested in drafting a QB.

I find it hard to believe that Denver made the Cutler trade if it was unwilling to start Orton for at least 1-2 years. But Orton is definitely not a franchise QB. There are 3 first-round QBs in this draft, and Denver has to consider drafting one of them.

What none of us know is how badly the 49ers want to draft a QB. But it is entirely possible that they nab Sanchez at 10. Denver may have to trade up ahead of the 49ers to nab their QB of the future if they like Sanchez more than Freeman. This is helpful because...

3. The Jets, especially because they didn't get Cutler, have to consider drafting a QB

With the Broncos possibly moving around in the draft to nab a QB, that puts extra pressure on the Jets to move up themselves. It doesn't help that Tampa Bay, another loser in the Cutler sweepstakes, is now more desperate for a QB also. If the Jets stay put at 17, they risk not getting any of the 3 first round QBs.

If the Jets stick with the guys they have right now at QB, the Dolphins are well off. If the Jets have to move up and trade valuable draft picks to nab a QB who isn't ready to play now, the Dolphins are well off. We do play them twice a year, after all.

4. There's one less franchise QB in the AFC

OK, so Cutler didn't play that well against us last year. But if the Broncos had kept him and improved their defense, they'd be a force to be reckoned with for years.

Mike Mayock compared the Bronco offense with Cutler at the controls to a Ferrari. I don't know what to compare the Bronco offense to with Orton at the controls, but I hope it at least gets good gas mileage.

Back
Top Bottom