How Much to Franchise O-Gun? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Much to Franchise O-Gun?

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Since O-Gun is the only real story to talk about at this time, I was just wondering how his situation could play out. What if we reach a stalemate and O-Gun decides to play only the 6 games this year, because he wants to be traded or get a huge contract next year? More importantly, if the Dolphins then decide to franchise him next year, what exactly would that cost the team? What kind of salary cap hit would we be in for?

I really don't know how much we would pay O-Gun if we franchised him next year. Perhaps the answer to this question will explain how the Dolphins negotiate with him this year. If a franchise tag will be a huge cap hit and we risk not getting anything for him next year, then I guess we do have to consider trade offers.

We would have to clear about $7.5 million in cap space (off the top of my head) approx to carry Ogun on a franchised tender.

The franchise tag for DE's this year is $6.5mill. That should increase a bit next year. I would not franchise Ogun next year, that is too much $$$ IMO. They should get something done before TC. Either sign him long term or trade him.

What would the transition tag number be?
If Ogun can't be resigned I hope we can work out a trade next year like the Bills did with Peerless. Threaten him and any interested teams with the transition tag. This would get us something for AO.

if we franchise O-Gun then we will have no chance to get Chris Chambers...so we better not do it..

Back
Top Bottom