How much will penalties hurt our defense this year? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How much will penalties hurt our defense this year?

Superself

If you want to, we can supply you.
Club Member
Reaction score
Last year it seemed that our defense would stop them on 1st and 2nd....maybe even have the opponent in a 3rd and long situation...then somehow there is a breakdown or costly penalty.
I'm not comfortable with the early emphasis on defensive coverage and using Miami as an example.
This could really put our team in more bad situations. The refs may watch us a bit more closely. An opposing WR may "draw fouls" similar to what is common in basketball.
Hopefully, Wanny can get the officials to come to our scrimmage or whatever to offer suggestions as to what will not be allowed this year verses years prior.

I agree the rule change could be a problem for our D. However I cant imagine it will make a huge change overnight. We still have physical corners and now have alot more depth than in the past. Howard is better than T buck, Poole better than fletcher :shakeno: . and hopefully our new FS faster in coverage than Marion. Therefore the cover talent may allow us to double particular WRs with safeties when necessary and be less physical if the refs are calling it that closely. Wishful thinking?

dreadlockera said:
I agree the rule change could be a problem for our D. However I cant imagine it will make a huge change overnight. We still have physical corners and now have alot more depth than in the past. Howard is better than T buck, Poole better than fletcher :shakeno: . and hopefully our new FS faster in coverage than Marion. Therefore the cover talent may allow us to double particular WRs with safeties when necessary and be less physical if the refs are calling it that closely. Wishful thinking?

See thats the problem. The refs will be watching out for physical corners. We have corners that excel at it. That is their game. The defensive philosophy requires it. If they cannot play their game....then I wonder how good will they be?

Its just obvious to me that the NFL is trying to put more focus on the offense to increase the bottom line. More TDs = more highlight films = more fans watching in anticipation of seeing more big plays on offense.

I just hope it doesn't get as bad as it is in basketball

i for one will not buy into this,with all of the holding going on they will need to extend the game another hour or two,besides i feel the refs were pretty hard on the fins anyway

It seemed like refs called pass interference on pretty much every pass that isn't a completion the last few years, I can only imagine what the new rules will do.

Superself said:
See thats the problem. The refs will be watching out for physical corners. We have corners that excel at it. That is their game. The defensive philosophy requires it. If they cannot play their game....then I wonder how good will they be?

Its just obvious to me that the NFL is trying to put more focus on the offense to increase the bottom line. More TDs = more highlight films = more fans watching in anticipation of seeing more big plays on offense.

I just hope it doesn't get as bad as it is in basketball
it's the opposite effect of basketball. The rule changes in basketball(i.e. zone defense, defensive 3-second) gave birth to the horrid 71-67 scores(eastern conference basketball mainly) you're accustomed to. The rule changes in football will make it more high-scoring. I don't think the changes will have that big an impact, being as most PI/holding calls are questionable anyways.

I think it will be huge. We've always had problems and every team would tell officials before the game that we hold on it would always bite us in the butt on a game winning drive it seems.

It will be bad unless they can coach our guys to play by the rules, however, that may lead to more catches against if they play soft. We'll have to see how it goes.

Seems like any defense that uses press coverage will be hurt.

that new rule is stupid, I mean what do they expect a DB to do let him catch the ball while he is wide open? that is not football, they are making the sport soft. I say we let the WR catch the ball and then take his head off

I feel that our D will be the best in the league. However, compared to the years before this years D will give up more TD's. This rule change really hurts press covergae. I hope Wanny and the boys are going to work on 2 deep zones. On the other hand, that will expose our weakest link on D, the LB's. Our LB's were very bad in coverage last year. So this all goes back to the D-Line, they are going to have to play stellar all year.

GO FINS!!!

nick19991 said:
that new rule is stupid, I mean what do they expect a DB to do let him catch the ball while he is wide open? that is not football, they are making the sport soft. I say we let the WR catch the ball and then take his head off

You can blame it on those damn patriots.... lol they did ****ing maul those tennessee receivers... it was really hard too watch them get away with penalties becasue i hate them so much...

The Pats committed penalties in the OLD rule book and they weren't called. Carolina could have won that game on that last drive but not with 2 missed calls.

So they add new rules? How about the refs learn the old ones first?

Maybe Memories said:
You can blame it on those damn patriots.... lol they did ****ing maul those tennessee receivers... it was really hard too watch them get away with penalties becasue i hate them so much...

yeah but thats how football should be played, the most physical team should win the game

Back
Top Bottom