How Saban's Media Policy Can Hurt Players | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Saban's Media Policy Can Hurt Players

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I caught this and it draws a parallel to our situation, as Saban's policy regarding injuries is the same way.

Great insight by former Patriots lineman Adrian Klemm in the Milwaukee Journal last week. Klemm addressed the difference in how the Patriots and Packers handle injury information with the media and said the Patriots' secrecy can put the player in a bad situation.

''I had major knee surgery and [the media] thought I sprained my knee," said Klemm. ''When I broke my foot two years in a row -- and the last break I had was actually a fracture and a rare bone break -- none of that stuff ever came out. They said, 'He injured his foot,' and that's what makes it difficult on the player's part. They see your stuff in your locker but they never really get to explain your side of the story."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2005/06/12/terms_of_enrichment/?page=4

As a coach, it probably doesn't matter, as Saban can gameplan and adjust because he has the information. But from an outsider's standpoint, we might question a player's ability or toughness if we think he has a minor injury (or none at all).

In fact.....and this is me stretching this thing to the limit :lol:......a player could potentially lose money due to this policy. Many players have bonuses tied to Pro Bowl appearences in their contracts. If the fans/media know that a guy is having a solid year despite a serious injury, they're more likely to vote for him, knowing that he's overcoming a serious ailment. Think "Michael Jordan dropping 55 in the playoffs with the flu" or "Bob Kuechenberg plays thru borken back, makes Pro Bowl".

Ok that's all. :)

I disagree. You have a very valid point but I just personally disagree.

I mean, the best player should be in the pro bowl regardless. This is why Michael Vick kept getting into the Probowl or certain players in Basketball and Baseball get into the all star game. Look at Vince Carter for instance. Just because someone is hurt why should that stop someone who is having a breakout year from getting to the Probowl.

I am a firm believer that if you play the sport with an injury you should never use it as an excuse. Simply because if you are playing you are saying it's not bad enough to hamper your play or in any way make you a liability.

Also to say they might lose money because of a probowl bonus, you need to look at it from another perspective. If they miss out on that clause it gets cancelled by the money they receiver for games they did not play due to the injury.

I'm kind of in the middle on it. I really just wanted to share the article. ;)

More than anything, I think it's a pride issue for some players.

Back
Top Bottom