How the Vontae Davis trade went down | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How the Vontae Davis trade went down

I dont know how much more, but with the Colts continuing to up the offer, there was no rush in making the trade. We had until week 6 of the regular season.

I personally find it hard to believe Mr.Ireland and staff negotiated from a 6th round pick and then decided to stop asking for something higher when they arrived at a 2nd. But, hey i could be completely wrong the majority of the board seems to think he's a moron so that's now what i also believe.

Im normally behind your opinions as they mesh with mine but this appears to be complete conjecture and a bit self serving (in regards to your opinion of Ireland v Philbin)

How is it pure conjecture when Salguero just outlined how it was the Colts, not the Dolphins, who initiated trade talks about Vontae Davis?

I think Philbin demanding Ireland trade Vontae is something most fans are definitely missing. Fans are looking to bag on Ireland any way they can without even looking at the truth. It's like everyone blaming Ireland for the drafts and personel decisions when Parcells was in charge. Nothing got done without Parcell's approval as he had the final say. If you seriously want to judge Ireland look at what he has done over the last two years as that was when he was truely in charge.

I beg to differ. According to Armando Salguero, Bill Parcell's told him flat out that Ireland started running the drafts in 2009. Further more who pays a GM millions of dollars to sit and do nothing? Jeff Ireland is as equally responsible for all drafts whether as a true GM or just a scout for Bill. Jeff was evaluating the talent and putting a board together for Bill who then took the information his "GM" gave him and made a decision. C'mon this notion that Jeff had nothing to do with the first three drafts is ridiculous.

I believe Parcells stepped back up and made some calls in 2010 after letting Ireland have his way in 2009. But it's clear that Parcells told Salguero that he let Ireland run that Draft. And Parcells also made it clear to Salguero that Pat White was "his" only inasmuch as he OK'd it. In actuality, it was everyone.

Im pretty damn sure most of the league views Davis as a better corner than Marhsall. Marshall has struggled to be a starter period in the nfl

Wrong.

Marshall has better stats that Vontae for the last 3 years

Marshall 10 Ints > Vontae 9 Ints

Marshall 207 tackles > Vontae 127 tackles

Vontae 31 Pass defenses > Marshall 28 Pass defenses

Marshall 3 Fumble recoveries > Vontae None

Looks pretty close to even except that Marshall makes ALOT more tackles.

:lol:

So your ironclad source about how Ireland didnt push this trade forward is.....Jeff Ireland. What an incrediable unbiased, not to mention reliable, source to go to. Ireland has never done anything deceitful that has allowed people to question his decision making ability, just ask Jim Harbaugh and Tony Sparano.

And how do i know Philbin doesnt dictate roster moves? See signature.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

So you are saying Ireland is lying to the media when he tells them that he worked with Philbin on this trade? Didn't you just say a few posts back these assumptions about Ireland/Philbin are BS unless you can prove it? So enough with your hearsay, lets see your proof Ireland just lied to the media.

So you are saying Ireland is lying to the media when he tells them that he worked with Philbin on this trade? Didn't you just say a few posts back these assumptions about Ireland/Philbin are BS unless you can prove it? So enough with your hearsay, lets see your proof Ireland just lied to the media.

Original article proved that Ireland set up the trade. As well:

The Dolphins went hard after Jeff Fisher, but they ultimately couldn’t close the deal because of Ireland’s presence.Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports writes that Dolphins owner Stephen Ross wouldn’t budge on Ireland’s control over the 53-man roster.
“This was Miami’s game to lose, and Ross decided he wanted his current G.M. to retain his current level of power. So the Rams got their man,” Silver said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/13/irelands-role-ultimately-sent-fisher-to-st-louis/

They hired Philbin because Philbin was willing to let Ireland have control of the roster. Anything that happens on this roster is because of Ireland. He gets paid like a general manager, its time he starts taking some of the responsibility of managing the team.
Nothing that has been pointed out has stated that Philbin had any responsibility in this decision. Ireland stated he "worked with Philbin". He never clarified what that means. Ireland fought for total control of this roster, he got it, and despite a conversation he might or might not have had with Philbin, he drove this thing forward. No decision on this team happens without it crossing Irelands desk.

Wrong.

Marshall has better stats that Vontae for the last 3 years

Marshall 10 Ints > Vontae 9 Ints

Marshall 207 tackles > Vontae 127 tackles

Vontae 31 Pass defenses > Marshall 28 Pass defenses

Marshall 3 Fumble recoveries > Vontae None

Looks pretty close to even except that Marshall makes ALOT more tackles.

I said most of the league I didnt say that stats were not in his favor. You dont judge a corner by his tackles and interceptions are not always indicative either.
So please show me where my statement was wrong lol

Original article proved that Ireland set up the trade. As well:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/13/irelands-role-ultimately-sent-fisher-to-st-louis/

They hired Philbin because Philbin was willing to let Ireland have control of the roster. Anything that happens on this roster is because of Ireland. He gets paid like a general manager, its time he starts taking some of the responsibility of managing the team.
Nothing that has been pointed out has stated that Philbin had any responsibility in this decision. Ireland stated he "worked with Philbin". He never clarified what that means. Ireland fought for total control of this roster, he got it, and despite a conversation he might or might not have had with Philbin, he drove this thing forward. No decision on this team happens without it crossing Irelands desk.

Nobody is talking about who has more control in the franchise or what's in the GM's contract. That's not what we are talking about, but that seems to be how you want to steer every thread. We know you hate Ireland. We get that. But we arent talking about that. We are specifially talking about in this thread is if Philbin wanted to trade Vontae Davis. I think the answer is pretty clear that Philbin was on board with this trade. As much as you hate Ireland and desperatley try to blame him for every single thing wrong in America, you should at least balme him for things that were his doing - like trading for Marshall, ignoring our QB situation for so long, and making stupid picks like Egnew. This Vontae Davis thing started when Philbin demoted him, ridiculed him on tv, and reminded him that he is expendable. If you think Ireland acted against Philbin's wishes when making this trade, then I dont think you have been paying attention this training camp.

Nobody is talking about who has more control in the franchise or what's in the GM's contract. That's not what we are talking about, but that seems to be how you want to steer every thread. We know you hate Ireland. We get that. But we arent talking about that. We are specifially talking about in this thread is if Philbin wanted to trade Vontae Davis. I think the answer is pretty clear that Philbin was on board with this trade. As much as you hate Ireland and desperatley try to blame him for every single thing wrong in America, you should at least balme him for things that were his doing - like trading for Marshall, ignoring our QB situation for so long, and making stupid picks like Egnew. This Vontae Davis thing started when Philbin demoted him, ridiculed him on tv, and reminded him that he is expendable. If you think Ireland acted against Philbin's wishes when making this trade, then I dont think you have been paying attention this training camp.

Wrong. This thread was about how the Vontae Davis trade went down.

It listed, in detail, Jeff Irelands role in it. Specifically, how it was he who set it up.

You have come in with all sorts of speculation about how its Philbin who drove this thing because you want it to be Philbin who drove this thing and how we just dont know about all the secret meetings that were set up and how those meetings which havent been confirmed prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Phiblin was responsible and how this entire thing came into being because Philbin chuckled at Vontae using the restroom. Which i consider delusional.

Wrong. This thread was about how the Vontae Davis trade went down.

It listed, in detail, Jeff Irelands role in it. Specifically, how it was he who set it up.

You have come in with all sorts of speculation about how its Philbin who drove this thing because you want it to be Philbin who drove this thing and how we just dont know about all the secret meetings that were set up and how those meetings which havent been confirmed prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Phiblin was responsible and how this entire thing came into being because Philbin chuckled at Vontae using the restroom. Which i consider delusional.

buddy, you seriously cant read. You should probably re-read this thread before making idiotic statements such as this. This thread was about whether Philbin had a role in this. And I never said Philbin drove this trade, I never said I wanted Philbin to drive this trade, and I never said there were secret meetings. I never said or suggested anything of the sort.

Nice try, but I'm still waiting for you to provide that evidence which supports your theory that Ireland went rouge and traded Vontae without including Philbin.

buddy, you seriously cant read. You should probably re-read this thread before making idiotic statements such as this. This thread was about weather Philbin had a role in this. And I never said Philbin drove this trade, I never said I wanted Philbin to drive this trade, and I never said there were secret meetings. I never said or suggested anything of the sort.

Nice try, but I'm still waiting for you to provide that evidence which supports your theory that Ireland went rouge and traded Vontae without including Philbin.

Didnt have to go rogue. Its his job. He has the right to do anything to the roster that he wants. He's the boss. Just because he acted like an idiot doesnt mean he went rogue.

Didnt have to go rogue. Its his job. He has the right to do anything to the roster that he wants. He's the boss. Just because he acted like an idiot doesnt mean he went rogue.

You make absolutley no sense....but I'll ask again. What tangible evidence do you have that supports your claim that Philbin was excluded from and had no part of this trade?

Back
Top Bottom