How to get an extra draft pick? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How to get an extra draft pick?

ATS16 said:
For alot of people I don't think it's so much hate as being realistic. What is Madison's salary hit in 06 $ 4-6 Milion I believe. We got rid of our best CB last year and if Saban doesn't feel he's worth it (Which is a good bet) then Madison will be gone also. Personally I hope he's waived and brought back as the nickel back. And yes rebuilding is about getting younger!

#1. Sam has redone his deal before and if asked he'll do it again...he's a team guy.

#2. We got rid of Pat Surtain (who, BTW, was NOT our best corner last year...our best corner last year was the guy everyone wants to cut) because we could not afford Surtain and Madison AND add to our very thin defensive line like Saban did. Saban LOVES his cornerbacks. His defense runs on the abilty to blitz from everywhere at anytime. To do that you need players who can cover man to man.

#3. Why would Madison be a nickel back? The guy is OUR BEST DEFENSIVE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who the HELL is gonna start ahead of him?

#4. Rebuilding is about getting younger but you still need veterans on the team. As hard as it is to beleive for some people around here, just because you are trying to get younger DOES NOT mean you don't have older players on the team.

ATS16 said:
Saban got a 4th rounder to play near at Madison's level his rookie year and with out Madison's contract to carry we would have room to seek a "value added" FA CB. Hopefully by mid season Poole will be starting, but I can almost guarantee you Madison will be trade bait and at the very least restructure.

I don't necessarily disagree, I just question whether we can find that value added FA CB. Saban will have to decide whether he can take the cap savings from cutting Madison and turn it into a better cornerback than Sam. I think that's easier said than done. If he can, then I have no problem with cutting Sam.

Also, remember that replacing Sam with an equally talented player does nothing for our secondary. If we cut Sam, we need at least 2 good FA CB's/Rookie CB's and probably a starting safety. If we keep Sam, 1 CB and 1 Safety should shore up our secondary.

unifiedtheory said:
I'll take Sam whiffing on the run (occasionally...his lack of run defense skills are VERY overblown on this board) as long as he covers the reciever...

...I'll take a great cover corner who is mediocer against the run EVERYDAY of the week.

For those of you who are going to get all crazy because I called his lack of run defense "overrated" speak now. I'll get the numbers at some point tonight and prove you wrong.

Teams run it to the right guard/right tackle/middle of the field on the Dolphins around 65%-70% of the time. If Sam was as bad against the run as everyone here makes him out to be I would think opposing team would run it MORE to his side of the field...not less.

I think you misunderstood my stance. I think Madison is still a good corner and our best corner. That said, he is being overpaid, especially when you consider that his skills are not maximized in Saban's system.

unifiedtheory said:
#1. Sam has redone his deal before and if asked he'll do it again...he's a team guy.

#2. We got rid of Pat Surtain (who, BTW, was NOT our best corner last year...our best corner last year was the guy everyone wants to cut) because we could not afford Surtain and Madison AND add to our very thin defensive line like Saban did. Saban LOVES his cornerbacks. His defense runs on the abilty to blitz from everywhere at anytime. To do that you need players who can cover man to man.

#3. Why would Madison be a nickel back? The guy is OUR BEST DEFENSIVE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who the HELL is gonna start ahead of him?

#4. Rebuilding is about getting younger but you still need veterans on the team. As hard as it is to beleive for some people around here, just because you are trying to get younger DOES NOT mean you don't have older players on the team.

1.) I hope Madison does restructure, but remember who he's agent is now -Drew R.

2.) Surtain wasn't our best corner last year? Please don't embarrass yourself like that. ha ha

3.) I expecting Madison IF he's back to not be our best or second best CB EXCUSE ME for being optimistic, and having faith in Saban!

4.) Yes of course you want strong verterans to build around but are you really going to tell me Madison is worth $ 6 million. Sound like you do and will be bashing Saban when you realize he agrees with me.

And please don't act like your the only one who "Understand" because obviously you don't have a clue where Saban's going.

ESPN Article on Madison'e contract
"but will still earn roughly $18 million for the 2004-2007 seasons."

link
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1755112

vinivedivichi said:
I don't necessarily disagree, I just question whether we can find that value added FA CB. Saban will have to decide whether he can take the cap savings from cutting Madison and turn it into a better cornerback than Sam. I think that's easier said than done. If he can, then I have no problem with cutting Sam.

Also, remember that replacing Sam with an equally talented player does nothing for our secondary. If we cut Sam, we need at least 2 good FA CB's/Rookie CB's and probably a starting safety. If we keep Sam, 1 CB and 1 Safety should shore up our secondary.

Good points, I just see that $ 6 mil looming in Saban head and don't think it's gonna fly next year. Isn't Drew Rosenthal (sp) Sam's agent, now? If so Sam will be playing somewhere else next year at least IMO.

If Madison is gone it is due to cap reasons.

And please don't act like your the only one who "Understand" because obviously you don't have a clue where Saban's going.

Neither do you, or anyone else on this board for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom