How to get under the cap | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How to get under the cap

I have to agree. With out the cap football would not be America's passion as it is now. The interest would fade if the same 4-5 teams were the only competitors each year. I would hate to see the NY Yankees of the NFL. As much as I wish Miami cold bring in every huge name FA I am glad they can't so everything stays fair.

From what I understood Bowens passes his bonus off to a roster bonus that takes affect March 1st. I could be wrong, but thats how ESPN and the Miami Heralrod made is sound.

I seen it reported as both!

Why this isn't required public knowledge is beyond me!! LOL

I would think that the Fins would re-work Bowens deal. Especially with Gardener's back problems and both Mixon and Bromell UFAs. All the talk of your #1 being used on offense could be off base......DL could be a priority

I have said that in prior posts. I hope Miami fixes their o-line thru FA since it is the only deep postion, and then take who ever is the best on the board at either RB or DT. I also think Dave will resign Bromel, and hope that David Bowens can improve on the flashes he showed this season. Dave also might have hopes that Grant or Haley will can step it up. I think either will be fine if Darly can stay healthy but that is a big if. Who do you see Buffalo going after? I have a fealing that the QB talk is premature, and they won't be able to pass on a big LT like Mckinnie or Mike Williams. Then take a look at Kittner in round 2.

As you know.............

it's nice to have the 1-2 punch at DT. Fins have(had) Bowens and Gardener. Stop the run/run the ball/play solid special teams.......it's pretty basic to me. That's why our #1 will be on one of the lines. Drafting a QB may be better long-term, but would set us back from contending at least 1 yr. If NE can do it, why not the Bills ;)

reducing the cap....

If we get rid of gardner(which i hope we do)does anyone know how much we would save?I think that renegotiations of several contracts are needed,since alot of our big money players did not perform as they were paid to.Many teams beside us will face this problem by the way and it is not unusual.We have alot of moves to make and i believe some dead wieght to cut..i.e.gardner,irwin,mcduffie,smith,jj,possibly bowens.We will be fine by next month,but some tough decisions have to be made . Jay is worth at least 2.5-3 mil a yr.surround him with a good line and a good back,get the recievers to catch or hold on to the ball and we will see big improvement.:cool:

Re: reducing the cap....

Originally posted by badfoot
If we get rid of gardner(which i hope we do)does anyone know how much we would save?
AKAIK - we paid Daryl lots of money in guaranteed salary/signing bonus so that would hit the cap no matter what.

I think what we really need to do is use the money to desing a space age suit that will prevent Darly from getting injured. Ok maybe i am getting crazy, but Darly showed by getting injured that he was the heart, and soul of this d-line. We were like 7th against the run before his injury, and 17 th after. You do the math. Tim is just dead weight that glogs up the hole, but never penatraights, Darly makes countless plays in the backfeild, and disrupts what ever the offense is trying to do. We just have to figure out hpw to keep him healthy.

part of the DL's problem is that we 100% of the time keep both S's back and that supposedly forces the DL to play straight up as opposed to stunting or shifting or try to penetrate via gaps. I guess it goes with the whole conservatism of the coaching staff to prevent big running plays. Tim Bo and Daryl and JT used to get a lot more penetration before Bates took over.

Bottom line is we lost 2 starters to our front 7 and our run defense sank from 7th to 17th. With Darly and Rodgers back, and a healthy Zach our run d is 100% better, but the only problem ishow long will that remain.

Back
Top Bottom