How would everybody feel with this draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How would everybody feel with this draft

ChambersWI

Going Ghost
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://walterfootball.com/draft2012charlie.php

Charlie Campbell's recent 5 round mock. We end up with the following (with explanations)

1.Ryan Tannehill QB, Texas A&M
The Dolphins need a franchise quarterback, and they have expert insight into Tannehill. Miami offensive coordinator Mike Sherman was his head coach at Texas A&M. Tannehill's knowledge of the offense would put him ahead of typical rookie quarterbacks. His familiarity with the scheme and coach would instantly accelerate his learning curve.

The 6-foot-4, 222-pound Tannehill is a good athlete who can make big plays with his feet and has a strong arm. In 2011, he completed 62 percent of his passes for 3,744 yards with 29 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. The senior also rushed for 355 yards with four touchdowns. Tannehill was inconsistent at times, and is still developing at the position. He played well versus Baylor and Missouri, but struggled against Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas.

Tannehill has only played one full season at quarterback (20 total games at QB with 19 starts), so he will need time to develop at the pro level. Another negative is that Tannehill has small hands, so fumbling could be an issue. As a wide out in 2008, he caught 55 passes for 844 yards and five touchdowns.

Tannehill switched to quarterback in 2010 and played well in the last half of the season as the Aggies' starter. He completed 65 percent of his passes for 1,638 yards with 13 touchdowns and six interceptions.

2.Kelechi Osemele OT/OG, Iowa State
The Dolphins need to find a long-term right tackle and left guard to pair with Jake Long and Mike Pouncey. Marc Columbo and Richie Incognito are not the answer and were abused by the opposition in 2011.

Osemele is a powerful run blocker who is also a good athlete for his size. The 6-foot-6, 333-pounder is a road grader who has surprisingly quick feet. Osemele stayed healthy throughout his collegiate career, starting over 40 straight games for the Cyclones. He could play right tackle or guard in the NFL, but the former would require more grooming.

Osemele has extremely long arms (35 1/4"), the longest of any player who was at the Senior Bowl or the Combine. That, in combination with his quickness, could cause some to feel that he could develop into a special right tackle or guard.

3a.Tommy Streeter WR, Miami
Miami could use a wide receiver with some playmaking ability after trading away Brandon Marshall.

Streeter enjoyed a breakout year in 2011. Entering the season, he had six receptions for 156 yards in 2009 and 2010 combined. With Leonard Hankerson in the NFL, Streeter led the Hurricanes in receiving. He caught 46 passes for 811 yards with eight touchdowns. His average of 17.6 yards per catch led the ACC.

The 6-foot-5, 219-pounder has deep speed with the size to operate in the short to intermediate part of the field. He showed off his straight-line speed with an unofficial 4.40 sprint in the 40-yard dash at the Combine. Streeter is a raw prospect who really needs to develop his route-running

3b.Jake Bequette DE, Arkansas
The Dolphins could use another defensive end for their new 4-3 defense. Miami also needs a pass rusher to go with Cameron Wake.

In 2010, Bequette had seven sacks with 32 tackles and 8.5 tackles for a loss. He started 2011 strong with three tackles, a forced fumble and two .5 sacks in the first game. Bequette (6-4, 274) injured his hamstring and missed games against Alabama and Texas A&M. After coming back, he was quiet for weeks including an ugly game against Vanderbilt. That seemed to wake him up, as Bequette finished 2011 on a tear. In a three game stretch in November, he caught fire with six sacks and three forced fumbles.

For the season, Bequette had 28 tackles with 10.5 tackles for a loss, 10 sacks and four forced fumbles. He finished his bachelor's degree prior to the season, and was working on a master’s. Bequette's intelligence and character will appeal to teams during the interview process. As a pass rusher, he uses physicality with some quickness to work his way by tackles. Bequette had a quality performance at the Senior Bowl.

4.Mike Martin DT, MIchigan
The Dolphins could use some depth at defensive tackle for their new 4-3 defense.

Martin (6-1, 307) is a powerful player with a relentless motor. He has some power and speed but didn't produce as much as his skill set would suggest.

At the Senior Bowl, Martin had a phenomenal week and was a standout in the one-on-ones and the team scrimmage. As a senior in 2011, Martin totaled 64 tackles with six tackles for a loss and 3.5 sacks. He had 2.5 sacks and six tackles for a loss in 2010.

In the NFL, Martin could fit as a five-technique in a 3-4 defense as well as a 4-3 defensive tackle.

5.Matt Rynolds OT, BYU
The Dolphins get some depth for guard and/or right tackle.

Reynolds looks like a right tackle or guard prospect for the mid-rounds of the draft. One negative is that he will be a 25-year old rookie, but as a player, he had a quality career for BYU. At the East-West Shrine Game, Reynolds had some good practices and some bad practices. He also weighed in smaller than expected at 6-foot-4, 310-pounds.

Reynolds has the potential to improve as he matures in a strength and conditioning program. Reynolds was a left tackle at BYU, but in the NFL, may be best off moving inside to guard.

Without knowing exactly what else was on the board and available at each pick, I'll sum it up like this:

1. Reach, but at least in a good way.

2. Excellent pick. Good player, great prospect, and achieved value here. You got a starter at RT here with plenty of upside.

3a. Reach in a bad way. One dimensional, straight linish receiver. There are better receivers available here who can also upgrade the return units on special teams.

3b. Nice pick.

4. Another nice pick.

5. Absolutely not. I think I can get a better offensive lineman even in the 5th round.

Again, it's dependent on what else is available at these spots. I need to know who I'm passing up when I make these selections.

Slimm, I remember reading a post where you said you had Weeden, Tannehill, and Lyndley all rated as late-1st, early-2nd RD QB's. I'm not going to dig up the post, and I could be wrong, but if that holds true, would you prefer we draft Lyndley in the 2nd or 3rd (if he's available)?

Without knowing exactly what else was on the board and available at each pick, I'll sum it up like this:

1. Reach, but at least in a good way.

2. Excellent pick. Good player, great prospect, and achieved value here. You got a starter at RT here with plenty of upside.

3a. Reach in a bad way. One dimensional, straight linish receiver. There are better receivers available here who can also upgrade the return units on special teams.

3b. Nice pick.

4. Another nice pick.

5. Absolutely not. I think I can get a better offensive lineman even in the 5th round.

Again, it's dependent on what else is available at these spots. I need to know who I'm passing up when I make these selections.

well in the first, the picks go Dontari Poe, Riley Reiff, David DeCastro, Luke Kuechley, Jonathan Marten, Melvin Ingram, Fletcher Cox, and Courtney Upshaw.

In the second some of the bigger name guys he has us passing are Mohammad Sanu, Alshon Jefferys, Dwayne Allen, Jayron Hosely, and Reuben Randle.

3rd-Trumaine Johnson, Chris Polk,Audie COle, Marvin Jones, Casey Hayward, and Josh Chapman are a few.

4th-Joe Adams, Nigel Bradham, Chase Minnifield, Nate Potter, Bruce Irvin, Vontez Burfict,

Slimm, I remember reading a post where you said you had Weeden, Tannehill, and Lyndley all rated as late-1st, early-2nd RD QB's. I'm not going to dig up the post, and I could be wrong, but if that holds true, would you prefer we draft Lyndley in the 2nd or 3rd (if he's available)?

If there's a scenario where Miami could trade down into latter portion of the 1st round, I'd take the extra draft picks and be ok with taking Weeden there. Only because of the extra draft picks would I be ok with reaching to take my quarterback who I have a 2nd round grade on. I'll reach 15 spots or so to take my QB in that scenario.

However, to answer your question, ideally I would rather take players at other positions that I have a higher grade on in a scenario where I don't trade down from #8, rather than reaching for Tannehill at #8, and take Ryan Lindley or G.J. Kinne in the 3rd round.

I wouldn't draft Streeter period. Can't run routes and bad hands. Have to be able to at least run routes for the WCO...that's a must.

Back
Top Bottom